Removing Glass

My '76 Cadillac Superior is nearly stripped for it's final resting place. Still a good day or two of work before I call the junkyard. All of the glass is intact and I want to save it for later needs.

Just how hard is it to remove and store all of the glass?

What would you do?

When I removed the glass of my 69, I had a friend that has a glass shop come over to help me. What he said was the most important thing to remember is to make sure that no metal tools are to be used when working around glass. He said to use only the hard glass plastic tools that you can find in the automotive stores.

Also, if the gaskets are in good shape, pay particular attention not to damage them. As long as the rubber is not in too bad of a shape, it could be restored.

I have all of my glass stored vertically in the basement wrapped either in large sheets of cardboard or blankets.

storing glass

I store glass in much the position it was set into the car. DO NOT lay it flat. Store it on edge. Use wood or rubber to set it on. Just look at how the glass shops get theirs and store it. Remember, as hard as glass seems to be, it is still a soft material when it comes to bending or taking a new shape. Stored on edge as if it were in the car should do the trick. Do not stand windshields on end to save room. They may not fit the car when you go back to use them. We use a wire tool to remove glued glass. The ones set in rubber will usually come out with not much problem. DO NOT PRY as you may cause a crack.
Good luck,
Mike
61 M-M

What holds the side glass in? Are there clips, screws, or snaps?

I really don't want to deform the chrome trim trying to figure out the trick.

Thanks.

If it is the same set-up as the 67 and 69, the clips holding the windows in place (rear door, rear side and corner round windows) can be accessed from the inside. Ion order to remove all of the trim that you see on the outside you’ll have to remove the windows first, since the screws holding the trim in place is hidden by the window weather stripping.

I'll see if I can get some pics from the 67 in the garage.

A picture (or two) is worth a thousand words.
picture.php

These are the clips that hold the windows in place.
picture.php

Back