yesterday was it

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
nice day and we were finely as ready as we could get. so paper and tape time. then mix and spray and relax. now if it had not been for that one fly and a few hairs a little dust and small case of orange peal in spots it would have been a perfect job. but i did make any promises of have it tomorrow so we still have time. glad to get this half done. now to block the lower half and do that. i could have used up a couple gallons of filler but decided to not over restore it. it still a lot smother then it left Armbruster.

Attachments

• IMG_2400.jpg
    IMG_2400.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_2404.jpg
    IMG_2404.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_2405.jpg
    IMG_2405.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_2407.jpg
    IMG_2407.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_2409.jpg
    IMG_2409.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 347
Looks great!!! One question I always try to paint with moldings off and not taping off any moldings especially door handles I pick up runs around them. Why are you taping and painting? Your jobs are great so you must have a reason.

Looks great!!! One question I always try to paint with moldings off and not taping off any moldings especially door handles I pick up runs around them. Why are you taping and painting? Your jobs are great so you must have a reason.

I think those moldings would be tough to get off. I've had one restoration done ('67 Bel Air, not a pro car), and my friends were able to get the drip rail moldings off and back on, which we had to do because we were combining two cars (good parts of the original car put onto the good "donor" car). We weren't sure ahead of time if the drip rails could be removed and put back on, because I think they are not designed to do that.

And I'm not sure about the other molding. I think that would be difficult to remove, but I'm not sure. I'm not a body man, so the only molding I would be removing myself would have to have nuts.

Now then the decision to paint the car in stages. Do to physical restraints of the doer. I'm still wobble from all the up and down on the benches.i could have left them off and just taped across the holes. But if you do that you end up with a tape line. Were each molding starts and ends. And you risk the chance of chipping popping them on. So the belt line was a decent brake point. Shot some paint under them and put them on then it was a stright line around the car. The drip rail was a screw on aluminum put on with slotted screws. I elected to leave it on rather then risk damaging it removing storing and replacing it. As it was there is a half moon were every screw is. I put the glass in so we could wash it with out getting the floor wet. The moldings on it are set into the rubber. So now not fighting over spray on the dash and water.
We will not put the lower moldings on First. Taping them would not be as easy. And it's just a good place for a run to form. We will pull the handles off also when we block. Right now it as handy to have them in place.

Next step when we are sanding is to get the lights back in and the flashers working. Flooring up front and the seat in place so we are not dragging things over fresh paint. Redoing one is a dance. Every one is different. And I'm just not as capable of doing as we could 10 years ago. . Got to do it one section at a time. As this is a solid color we can do that.

got it blocked of yesterday and we buffed it today. a few spots to go back and pick up but looks like we may get a car out of this after all

Attachments

• IMG_2451.jpg
    IMG_2451.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_2452.jpg
    IMG_2452.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 363
Back