156 is here!

Tony Karsnia - Deceased - 1971-2020

September 12, 1971 - November 2, 2020
I hope all of you have some extra time to grab a cold one and sink into your easy chair for some intriguing reading. You'll want to do that when TPC 156 hits your mailbox. Our copy arrived yesterday and, while I've not had a chance to read every single word, I've looked it over pretty well and can assure you this is yet another top quality publication of which we have become accustomed.

The outer cover photos were enough for me to drop everything to read the features relating to that car immediately. Beautiful job, guys. That entire magazine is an innovative work of art that stands apart from the crowd.

:applause:

I've not received my magazine yet. It seems as though I'm near the end of the mailing list. But I do know what the featured car is. I happened to be in the right place at the right time in Rochester when Brady and George were proofing the issue. I was promptly threatened within an inch of my Henney unless I swore a vow of silence!

Mine arrived yesterday also. What a great job, again, from the crew that put this together. We are so lucky to have the experts that put together such a magnificent publication. My hat is off to you guys!!

Unfortunately, no control over numerous photo postings of Mr. Howard Johnson's funeral procession last month.

Very true. The first I saw pictures was before that, in June, and heard somewhere it was going to be in an upcoming issue shortly after that.
I know to most people it is a secret, and will be a pleasant surprise to see the issue. I know I was impressed by the in depth article.
As beautiful as this coach is, I was really surprised to see the broken tail light though. Hope he has one on order.

The first I saw pictures was before that, in June

The first picture I saw was in August... of 1997. It was in a friend's photo album in Hunt Valley, MD at the national PCS meet. I saw that same photo a couple months ago in Ashville, NC at a regional meet, after having have seen the actual car. Prior to this year, that was the only photo of the coach that existed as far as I know, or at least one of very very few. Glad it's out there now for the whole world to enjoy!

You're right John, It was out there before because someone just couldn't resist the temptation to share some shots and perhaps even one-up the publications committee. I know because, one of this person's shots were sent to me (by someone who had received them from our excited photographer) with the request for additional information as to what it was and who built it. I noticed that in the Johnson funeral images that we all saw, the broken tail light lens had been replaced. Of course, the Johnson funeral was a month or so after the photos had been taken for TPC. It's an extraordinary car...to say the least.

a nice combination of articles as always. it gets so ho hum the one has to drag out one of the old magazines in B&W and red it to see just how much the publishing committee has stepped up there game. all this while juggling work family live and maintaining there own cars. I wall say there are people out there that make a living doing publications that are not of this quality. hats off I don't know how you guys do it on a volunteer basis:thumbsup:

one hint though straighten out the light and siren on the Henny before you take the pictures ;)

The first picture I saw was in August... of 1997. It was in a friend's photo album in Hunt Valley, MD at the national PCS meet. I saw that same photo a couple months ago in Ashville, NC at a regional meet, after having have seen the actual car. Prior to this year, that was the only photo of the coach that existed as far as I know, or at least one of very very few. Glad it's out there now for the whole world to enjoy!

I think the pic I saw was the one you mentioned. Then some of the pictures used in the TPC shortly after, probably from the funeral Attilla mentioned. It was somewhere between the two I heard somewhere it was going to be featured in a "publication" which I knew was here. It really does not matter that some knew before hand, with all the media outlets its hard to keep hush hush, but Im pretty sure the majority never heard about it, which is good. Im not sure how you kept it so quiet knowing about it since 1997, that had to be hard.
I agree fully with you, Im glad its out there for all of us to enjoy, and proof that it really does still exist. I heard rumors before, but I always thought it would be a shell rusting away in a field, not this beauty! The owner is a lucky man, and he should be honored for taking care of this rare piece of coachbuilding history.

I forget what year it was, but at the first Miller Meteor Reunion in Ohio, John Ehmer was showing off his pro car photo albums, and in one of them was a photo of this car inside a dirt floor building, covered in dirt and sinking into the floor. So I've known for awhile that at least one of these still existed. The very happy news is that it is now restored!

This is not a restored car. It is the self-same car that Mr. Ehmer had photographs of. It was those photos that led McPherson on the chase for the car and to it's now appearing in TPC.

What a stately and incredibly beautiful car. There are still a few rare gems out there that are either tucked away in barns or sitting on properties unseen just waiting to be re-discovered ;), probably not in this same condition but nonetheless still out there.

You're right John, It was out there before because someone just couldn't resist the temptation to share some shots and perhaps even one-up the publications committee. I know because, one of this person's shots were sent to me (by someone who had received them from our excited photographer) with the request for additional information as to what it was and who built it. I noticed that in the Johnson funeral images that we all saw, the broken tail light lens had been replaced. Of course, the Johnson funeral was a month or so after the photos had been taken for TPC. It's an extraordinary car...to say the least.

I'm not privy to the details of who had the images or posted them before the magazine was released but in today's digital age it's very difficult to corner the market or control such things. Some image "owners" spend a great deal of time and energy trying to control who uses or posts their images yet it's like the war on drugs, an ever losing battle where you lose more time and effort and never stop the actual effort.

I personally doubt it was an attempt to "one-up" the publications committee, but rather somebody who was just as excited about the car as the publications committee and author were.

I know in my own research I've come across a lot of images of professional cars which have never before been published or posted on line and have run into similar situations. The same with professional cars that I know of that sit in barns and other locations out of the public eye for 30-40+ years which then get posted online elsewhere. It's just the nature of things and you cannot take it personally or get bothered by it. These things just happen.

will if it helps anyone I was completely in the dark on this and to be honest with you I still am. neat looking car though.

who cares who saw what ain't nobody seen it in the magazine till now except the publishing committee.

I got mine today. In a word, it is fabulous! And it is nice to see a President's Message once again, thank you Tony.

Back