PCS Daytona Beach

I know it may seem a little early for this, but it will be here before you know it. Due to the high prices of gas and the not so great MPG on our professional cars, not to mention wear and tear, I am going to take the Amtrak Auto Train to the PCS meet this year. What I would like to do, is to maybe get some other folks that are coming from the Northern/Northeast part of the country and would like to do this as well to let me know and maybe we can arrange a caravan of sorts to the train station. It's always better to travel in a group, right?

This idea was brought up to me by our PCS President Rick Duffy who did this the last time the meet was in Daytona Beach. Thanks Rick.

Here is how it works:
The train leaves Lorton, VA (a half hour outside of Washington, DC) at 4pm.
The train arrives the next day in Sanford, FL (about an hour from Daytona Beach, FL) at 9:30AM.

continued...

A round trip for 2 adults, plus your oversized vehicle is $722. All of your meals are included, as is a movie and breakfast the next morning. There is an option of having an actual room instead of just coach seating, but of course there is fee for that in addition to the afore mentioned price.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer/AM_Route_C/1241245666320/1237405732511

1-800-872-7245 for reservations

Would like to drive down either day before the train leaves and stay overnight in a hotel, or leave early in the morning and catch the train the same day.

If anyone is interested, please let me know and we can coordinate accordingly :thumb:

I know a couple others did this last time and it seemed to work well from what I heard. Is the $722 for round trip or one way? You'll probabaly spend alot more than that driving both ways between gas, lodging and food!

Amtrak

Kim, Mack, and I took an AMTRAK round trip in the summer of 2010 from St. Paul to Chicago to St. Louis. We were in a sleeper car during the St. Paul - Chicago legs and Business Class coach during the Chicago - St. Louis legs. We were very impressed with every aspect of our AMTRAK experience and would highly recommend it.

I know a couple others did this last time and it seemed to work well from what I heard. Is the $722 for round trip or one way? You'll probabaly spend alot more than that driving both ways between gas, lodging and food!

Round trip. Yep, you would spend way more than that I think, so it seems like a good deal.

I wanted to do this with the 77 M-M for the 2007 Burbank meet but there is no auto train that even goes that way. If theres was I would have done it! Yep, thats a pretty good deal there!

Yeah, from what I can tell, this is the ONLY auto train like it in the US. All of the stations and the car hauler cars have been redone/replaced in the last 2 years. The nice thing is that the train runs both directions everyday.

Sorry, no. It is a non-stop ride--for passengers at least. As I understand it, it stops once around midnight to get fresh water and change crew--no passenger pick-up.

I bought a hearse from Bill Wright in Daytona and drove it to Toronto a few years ago. Not sure what the gas rates were then but it cost me 600.00 in fuel for the one way drive. Food and lodging not included !

A little more for both ways with food sounds like a good rate to me.

I'm not sure what my transportation will be at this time but most likely flying is my choice this year. With Jen being a flight attendant, flying is very reasonable for me and only a couple hours vs 24 driving.

Looking forward to it already and can't wait for June !

Darren

A round trip for 2 adults, plus your oversized vehicle is $722. All of your meals are included, as is a movie and breakfast the next morning. There is an option of having an actual room instead of just coach seating, but of course there is fee for that in addition to the afore mentioned price.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer/AM_Route_C/1241245666320/1237405732511

1-800-872-7245 for reservations

Would like to drive down either day before the train leaves and stay overnight in a hotel, or leave early in the morning and catch the train the same day.

If anyone is interested, please let me know and we can coordinate accordingly :thumb:

That is a great idea Shawn and a much better deal than driving, paying for gas, staying a night, ETC!

Autotrain

I use the auto train every October to travel to my timeshare in Pompano Beach,Florida. It is worth the price not to have to deal with driving for what seems like forever. I will hopefully be taking the autotrain myself. They also have handicapped cars for people who need more space for maneuverability. And they bring your food to you. From where I live, I usually leave @6:30am and it gets me into Lorton@1:30. Bigger cars have to be loaded first and they want you there @2pm. Hope to see a lot of pro cars going onto the train. See you in Daytona.

not too great MPG on our professional cars, not to mention wear and tear, I am going to take the Amtrak Auto Train to the PCS meet this year.

To chime in a bit more. You always stand the risk of your pro-car breaking down along the way and we all know how difficult it is to find a mechanic to work on these beasts.

:agree:

New developments...

Due to unseen circumstances, my parents will not be coming to Daytona this year. I, however, still will be. The reason for this post is that I putting this out there for someone who may be coming to Daytona, but without a car. I will have room for one or two people to ride with me. I will be going on the auto train as stated before, but am looking for one or two people who may be interested in going with me to help share expenses for the trip down.

I am not sure of the current prices, but for around $400 you would get the trip down AND back on the auto train riding along with me. I would more than willing to drive you down to the train in Virginia as well. I could pick you up somewhere along the drive down from PA, or, you could meet me here (Franklin, PA).

Also available would be my parents hotel room that is already reserved at the host hotel. I am sure the hotel could transfer the room with no problem.

You may PM me for further details or discussion. Thanks!

that boy ain't right..............

Danny, Richard, etc................is is apparent to me that JEREMY IS JUST NOT PAYING ATTENTION. Maybe he just needs to get hooked on phonics. Earlier in this thread it was plainly stated that $722 was for the round trip. Jeremy then asks, "is that for one-way or a round trip"? Then he asks about a cruise-in.......Richard has made the Daytona plans known for months now. So what are we to do with this boy? I personally think Jeremy needs a distraction..........like a 30 year old, 5'6" 125 lb brunette [or blonde] distraction. Somebody has to know a nice, eligible female out there that can get this boy's head screwed back on straight!?! STOP WITH THE PRO-CAR HUNTS, start checking your church groups and female friends of friends AND LET'S FIND THIS GUY A WOMAN!!!

Back