Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > Emergency lighting and Sirens

Emergency lighting and Sirens For discussion of emergency lighting and sirens as they are associated with Professional Cars. Posting in this forum is limited to PCS Members and / or Site Supporters. We encourage all website users to become members of the Professional Car Society and / or become Site Supporter.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:38 PM
PCS Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Schellhardt View Post
John, I do not believe those are spacers in the photo, that is how the angled/curved bases were cast. Below is another photo I found online which better shows what the angle base looks like from the side. Having said that, I am considering making some spacers as a "Plan B" option if I cannot find the correct base. In my situation, the long bolts and spacers would have to go on the front two holes of the flat base to keep the siren level on the curved roof.
Yes, it's a specifically curved base. Some of the later ambulances had a spacer/base (Kevin O'Connell reproduce(s)/(d) them) but this one just used the curved base. I know because I finally turned one up after much searching and the kindness of another PCS member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Schellhardt View Post
Nicholas, yes, I am very familiar with your thread. The first time I saw it, I did a double take because I thought it was my car. Mine is also a Cotington 48. Attached is a somewhat current photo. I am trying to dig up a "before" photo. I would say we both bought our cars in similar conditions, but you are doing a much more thorough restoration. Someday, I would like to go back through the car and fix things the right way that were just made "good enough" the first time around. I have been meaning to join the PCS for many years and finally did it last week just prior to starting this thread.
All of the 1970 Cotington 48's seem to be near-clones. It's interesting how little variation there was considering they offered just as many options as Miller-Meteor.

I recall seeing your post on another forum a long ago. I am thrilled you have joined the PCS and have taken such care of the car. Please consider posting an "Intro" in the subforum for that here. Would love to see more of your car too!
Old 04-22-2019, 10:02 PM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 14,928 Times in 6,312 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

Yes it's cast in the mount. But if they cast it you can can add it. Just a way to use the siren till you find the correct sloped mount.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:23 AM

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fortunately, I was able to locate a curved base through a member of the Antique Federal Signal Lighting & Sirens facebook group. My new base arrived in the mail last week and I was able to spend the day on Saturday mounting and wiring the siren. I still have some work to do rewiring the lights, but the siren portion of this project couldn't have gone better. I had some fun playing with the siren in my driveway once it was all put together. I think it sounds great, but my wife and the neighbors may disagree!
Attached Images

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dan Schellhardt For This Useful Post:
Bill Leverett (05-06-2019), James Fischer (05-07-2019), John ED Renstrom (05-06-2019), Kerry Lange (05-06-2019), Kurt Arends (05-06-2019), Paul Steinberg  (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 08:46 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,278 Times in 516 Posts
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Looks super sharp Dan.