Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > Emergency lighting and Sirens

Emergency lighting and Sirens For discussion of emergency lighting and sirens as they are associated with Professional Cars. Posting in this forum is limited to PCS Members and / or Site Supporters. We encourage all website users to become members of the Professional Car Society and / or become Site Supporter.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:38 AM

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Federal Q Pedestal Base

Hello. I have a 1970 Olds C/B ambulance which originally had a roof mounted siren. I believe this was most likely a Federal Q, so that is what I am looking to install. I have been searching online for sirens, and have found one for sale locally, but every one I find has a flat pedestal base. In all the pictures I have seen of a Q mounted to a C/B roof, the siren has an angled base to compensate for the curvature of the roof. How difficult is it going to be to find the correct base? So far, I have not been able to find one online. I am debating whether or not I should buy the Q that I found locally at a good price, then find the correct base later, or if I should keep searching for a siren that already has the base I need. Here is a photo I found online that shows what I am trying to do. Please note, this is not my car, but is a C/B with the same roof.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2019, 10:16 AM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 15,170 Times in 6,410 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

OK help me out guys Jim Vowl popes into my head and Doug Kelly who all is selling these kind of parts.

but if it was me I would go for a B&M lighter, smaller, draws less current and is louder. but to each thee own. a number of people selling parts check out the sellers folder here might help.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:54 PM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 12,313 Times in 4,038 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

I can fix you up with a siren, and most probably the base also. Your car might have had a Q, or it could have had a C6RB siren. Personally, I would prefer the C6 over the Q for looks. I also have one of those that was rebuilt and restored cosmetically by John Dorgan prior to his dying. That also would take the angled base, and I am certain that I have one of those on my workbench. If you are headed to Spring Carlisle (PA), you could pick it up there. You would save yourself a lot of money in shipping. thanks Paul
Old 04-17-2019, 04:27 PM

While I do like the look of the C6, and the B&M Super Chief, something about the Q keeps pulling me back in. I do think it looks comically large on the roofs of these cars, but that look grows on me more and more with each photo I look at.

Paul, if you do have that angled base, please let me know what you would want for it. I am very interested! I have never been to Carlisle, but I have been wanting to go. It could be a good excuse to get me out there.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:52 PM

Happy Easter! I just wanted to post with an update. I was able to negotiate a very good price on the Q that was for sale locally and made the purchase on Friday. The siren is in good cosmetic condition and worked well when I tested it. I donít think the neighbors were thrilled with my test (or my wife), but I thought it sounded great. I am excited to get it mounted on the car. It does have the flat pedestal base though, so I am still on the lookout for the correct angled/curved base.

Paul, it is not looking like I will be able to make it to Carlisle, but if you do have that base, I would gladly pay for the shipping. Please let me know. Thank you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan Schellhardt For This Useful Post:
Kurt Arends (04-20-2019), Paul Steinberg  (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 04:17 AM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 12,313 Times in 4,038 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

Been looking for it, however, it isn't anywhere in sight. Sorry..
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Steinberg For This Useful Post:
David Henry (05-06-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 05:43 AM

Paul, no worries. Thank you for looking. If it does turn up, please let me know. Iíll continue my search online.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:16 AM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 15,170 Times in 6,410 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

In the picture you show notice the spacers. One can use a long bolt in the rear and a spacer to level it out till the right base comes along.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:20 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,008 Times in 258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Schellhardt View Post
Hello. I have a 1970 Olds C/B ambulance which originally had a roof mounted siren. I believe this was most likely a Federal Q, so that is what I am looking to install. I have been searching online for sirens, and have found one for sale locally, but every one I find has a flat pedestal base. In all the pictures I have seen of a Q mounted to a C/B roof, the siren has an angled base to compensate for the curvature of the roof. How difficult is it going to be to find the correct base? So far, I have not been able to find one online. I am debating whether or not I should buy the Q that I found locally at a good price, then find the correct base later, or if I should keep searching for a siren that already has the base I need. Here is a photo I found online that shows what I am trying to do. Please note, this is not my car, but is a C/B with the same roof.
Dan - I too have a 1970 C/B-Oldsmobile ambulance, as you may have seen at http://www.professionalcarsociety.or...ad.php?t=16134 . Is yours a "Cotington 48" as well? Got some photos? I'd love to compare notes. Feel free to e-mail or PM me.

Please consider joining the Professional Car Society at http://www.theprofessionalcarsociety.org/join.html I think it's really worth the small fee.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:45 AM

John, I do not believe those are spacers in the photo, that is how the angled/curved bases were cast. Below is another photo I found online which better shows what the angle base looks like from the side. Having said that, I am considering making some spacers as a "Plan B" option if I cannot find the correct base. In my situation, the long bolts and spacers would have to go on the front two holes of the flat base to keep the siren level on the curved roof.

Nicholas, yes, I am very familiar with your thread. The first time I saw it, I did a double take because I thought it was my car. Mine is also a Cotington 48. Attached is a somewhat current photo. I am trying to dig up a "before" photo. I would say we both bought our cars in similar conditions, but you are doing a much more thorough restoration. Someday, I would like to go back through the car and fix things the right way that were just made "good enough" the first time around. I have been meaning to join the PCS for many years and finally did it last week just prior to starting this thread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan Schellhardt For This Useful Post:
Kurt Arends (04-22-2019), Nicholas Studer (04-22-2019)