Superior Sovereign Honeymoon is Over

Brian Martin

PCS Member
While I think in Maryland I can get historic tags and forgo an inspection, I went ahead and took her for one yesterday. But Friday night I noticed the right rear axle seal was leaking. In addition to the that, she failed for reverse lamps, wiper
Fluid motor, wiper blades, front and rear brakes. Then I awoke this morning to a stream of antifreeze running out of the garage.

Ugh. But one small victory is that previous owner had a blown 10 amp fuse instead of a 20. So interior lights, power mirrors, and power locks now work. But still no radio.

I guess it’s a journey.

While I think in Maryland I can get historic tags and forgo an inspection, I went ahead and took her for one yesterday. But Friday night I noticed the right rear axle seal was leaking. In addition to the that, she failed for reverse lamps, wiper
Fluid motor, wiper blades, front and rear brakes. Then I awoke this morning to a stream of antifreeze running out of the garage.

Ugh. But one small victory is that previous owner had a blown 10 amp fuse instead of a 20. So interior lights, power mirrors, and power locks now work. But still no radio.

I guess it’s a journey.

In one word my friend "patience".....;):rolleyes::)

The leaking antifreeze can be as simple as a bad hose, or as difficult as a rusted out freeze plug, or as expensive as the radiator needing to be re-cored. I suggest that you prepare yourself for the worse, and pull the radiator and take it to a competent shop for cleaning and repair. Then replace both upper and lower radiator hoses, along with the heater hoses, and install fresh anti freeze.

Next, I would tackle the leaking axle seal. Depending on your year of car, will determine how difficult it is to find the seal.

The windshield wiper washer is controlled by the wiper motor, and that can be as simple as replacing the plastic valve and refilling the jar. Or, it can be internal to the wiper motor, and that means a $200 rebuild. If you need it to pass inspection, then you are up against the wall on that one also.

Cars are not inexpensive to repair, and sometimes the repairs will be beyond our capabilities, which means taking it to a shop. If you have to go that route, check the shops capabilities before you commit.

That rear seal is now a bearing seal combination. I would have to go out in the parts bin to find the number of it.

Thanks all. No, now oil is leaking out as well from the radiator. I feel
Ok tackling that myself - the Cadillac service manual has pretty clear instructions. Brakes are too important for this rookie though. Anxious to get these done so I can make my first meet up if my local chapter.

you had best pull that transmission dip stick. if it comes out tan and fuzzy it's mixing water with the it threw the cooler. the only place the radiator can have oil coming out is the tyranny cooler. unless there is one of the lines leaking and running down

Thanks all. No, now oil is leaking out as well from the radiator. I feel
Ok tackling that myself - the Cadillac service manual has pretty clear instructions. Brakes are too important for this rookie though. Anxious to get these done so I can make my first meet up if my local chapter.

Brakes are easy, if you have any mechanical ability. Just do one side at a time, and work slowly as you disassemble and reassemble. Once the drum is off, I spray everything with a mixture of dishwashing liquid and water, and then using a cheap paint brush, brush everything. Then I rinse with the hose, and do it again, until everything is clean to work on. No brake dust to be dealing with. If the front are disk, those are even easier than drums. Rear drums are a little more difficult, but not extremely difficult. Even if you bring it somewhere else to have them done, clean everything the way I suggest before you go. You can learn a lot by just cleaning. To have them done at a shop is going to be expensive. You learn by doing.

Thank you. The fluid is fortunately looking good. I’ll pull the radiator tomorrow to get a better look. The floor had been bone dry underneath her for 2 weeks. PEG one night, engine oil the next. I obviously haven’t driven it other than to turn it around in the garage.

Back