63 Superior Pontiac Ambulance

James Fischer

PCS Member
WHAT is with all the 63 Superiors the last few weeks ?
This could be a nice restoration candidate....but not so sure of THAT price :eek:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Bon...86033511a&item=310851621146&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

$_57.JPG

Last edited:
THIS IS FROM MY PERSONAL COLLECTION THAT I THOUGHT I WOULD NEVER SELL, WELL IT'S THAT TIME NOW I NEED TO GET A ???????????

"I'd like BRAIN for $200 Alex."

Our first Daily Double and it's a visual clue.

"$60,000 Alex."

Here is image and your clue: Drive Type.

$_57.JPG

"What is left side drive?"

We were looking for rear wheel drive, sorry.

but wait remember there were only 16 made.

but it does have the appearance of a restore able car and one with factory air in 63 would be different. dump the cool mirrors and you would have a nice old car. but how come if he fixed the dent in the back door we only have pictures with the dent??

but wait remember there were only 16 made.

but it does have the appearance of a restore able car and one with factory air in 63 would be different. dump the cool mirrors and you would have a nice old car. but how come if he fixed the dent in the back door we only have pictures with the dent??

If it is an ambulance and not a combo Superior built 69 LWB Pontiacs. If it is a combo they built 139 LWB Pontiacs. Any idea what the side mirrors are from, I like them.
No matter what, '63 has got to be my favorite year of Superior Pontiac (I even like the Consorts this year, and I usually hate SWB coaches.

The mirrors are after-market. Probably one of the coolest after-market mirrors ever made though!

Are the round spots in the floor the rack mounts? If it was an ambulance it would have had a cabinet for the partition and more switches on the panel?

there are enough pictures to see the details. the original color was baby blue and white. you can see were some enterprising person added the seat belts to it. but why does the webbing go around and threw the hinge. those neat mirrors. they are pitted. but worse does he still have the original wheels and caps? all in all it looks to be a decent car sits straight and the trim is there. according to the sell it is driven. the surface rust will be a problem covering over if its allowed to go much longer. but if it were a dark color we would not be seeing much in the picture. if he went down and put a quick paint job on the car it may bring the money he is asking. but me it being a poncho I would want to know if the timing chain has been changed?

there are enough pictures to see the details. the original color was baby blue and white. you can see were some enterprising person added the seat belts to it. but why does the webbing go around and threw the hinge. those neat mirrors. they are pitted. but worse does he still have the original wheels and caps? all in all it looks to be a decent car sits straight and the trim is there. according to the sell it is driven. the surface rust will be a problem covering over if its allowed to go much longer. but if it were a dark color we would not be seeing much in the picture. if he went down and put a quick paint job on the car it may bring the money he is asking. but me it being a poncho I would want to know if the timing chain has been changed?

ED, what years of these Pontiacs had the timing chain issue?

Are the round spots in the floor the rack mounts? If it was an ambulance it would have had a cabinet for the partition and more switches on the panel?
Yes to all points, James. I see someone brought it to his attention and he now says it has the demountable beacon as well. So it is a combination as built.

Now it wasn't uncommon for a funeral home ambulance service to have a combination as their ambulance and never (or rarely) use it as a hearse, as the seller suggests. I know of another combination that was "always an ambulance".

ED, what years of these Pontiacs had the timing chain issue?

I can't say I just know that the early to mid 60s were knower to loose the timing chain around 60-70 thousand. the had a fiber cam gear that the teeth would shear off on when you shut it off. once replace with better stuff they ran forever.

Looks like a great restoration candidate. Re enforces just how hard it is to find an straight ambulance of this vintage. A combination was cleaned up and put away. An ambulance sat out waiting for the next call.

Unequivocally shill bids. Just view bid history and look at patterns. 19 bids from 2 bidders above honest market value pushing high bidder (also shill bid) up, probably near max, where a fresh bid placed from anyone new would represent 'real' money and may touch reserve.

Those top three bidders have made 100%, 100%, and 77% respectively of all eBay bids in last 30 days with this seller. These are tells and how people don't pick up on them more frequently is beyond me.

Back