Pontiac procar pics

Here is a 1972 Superior Pontiac 54" that saw service in Illinois and was traded in to Foster's in Sterling (IL). That is one taaaaall beacon base! (Larri Dirks collection)

Attachments

• w_pontiac.jpg
    w_pontiac.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,595
5 Beacons on the Roof...

Acadian liked those 5 beacon configurations as well here in Louisiana in the 70's...

I wonder if that is where they got it, or perhaps the other way around?

Attachments

• transport.jpg
    transport.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,980
Here is a pair of 1960 Superior/Pontiac Criterion Landaulet combinations:

Jim Green F.H. (Pryor, OK)
This was the first coach Jim bought new.

Individual (Ardmore, OK)
Originally one of a pair of '60 S/Ps at Dunn's in Sulphur; the black landau seen here, and a white limousine-style that was used primarily as an ambulance.

(SL collection)

Attachments

• 60 Pontiacs.jpg
    60 Pontiacs.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,450
From another thread:

We had a '72 Consort combination that was like driving a dragster; anyone in the front seat should've been wearing "H" straps and a helmet. We almost had to file a flight plan before we took it on an emergency call!

Smith F.H. (Sapulpa, OK)
1972 Consort combination (ex-Derfelt's, Galena, KS)

During bad winter weather, our oldest hightop and this car were moved from third- and fourth-out to first- and second-out status to preserve the two newer hightops. One night we were busy and short of cars. We made an emergency transfer to Tulsa in this girl with me in the front and a nurse, respiratory tech, my partner, and the patient in back. I seem to remember that we had an IV hanging and 02 running, as well.

This picture was taken shortly after we exited the ambulance business (March, 1982), and just before she was traded in.

(SL photo)

Attachments

• Smith Consort.jpg
    Smith Consort.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,437
Here is a scan from the 1958 October issue of The Southern Funeral Director of a new 1958 Dixie Pontiac ambulance delivery (with caption) in Miami Florida!

Attachments

• 1958 Dixie Pontiac Oct 58 SFD.jpg
    1958 Dixie Pontiac Oct 58 SFD.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 2,085
That would be Bill Randle with Eastern Ambulance, later Randle-Eastern (now part of American Medical Response).

Ha! Thanks Steve! looks like Dixie or SFD had the names wrong for that photo then! Thanks for the clarification of that! Isn't Bill Randle still around or not?

great thread! i LOVE consorts. currently have a 65 consort hearse & 72 consort combo in my collection.

ive also had a 71 consort hearse, a 71 pontiac baronet combo, 73 pontiac hearse, & a 66 pontiac combo in the past.

i would like to find a set of 8 lug pontiac wheels to put on my 65 as well as a tri power unit someday.

1. 1965 48"; Volzke Mortuary, Seward, NE

Deroyce Volzke bought this car "from the Chicago area" in 1972 when he opened his business. Features include a #28 whistle and aftermarket air conditioning. It was his only ambulance until he closed that part of the operation in 1992. This girl is now owned by PCS member Rich Litton in Moorestown, NJ.

First is the shot taken at Volzke's, and then what she looks like now:

(SL photos)

Attachments

• Volzke 65 Pontiac.jpg
    Volzke 65 Pontiac.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,435
  • Litton 65 Pontiac.jpg
    Litton 65 Pontiac.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,438
The first emergency run that I got to drive was in a 1964 Superior Pontiac Consort that was a straight ambulance conversion. It was all red and had the bullet lites front and rear as well as a Federal Model 17 Beacon mid roof. It had a Federal Q mounted between the front flasher. When you started to use it, the car seemed to pause until it started to whine down. We used to laugh that when it was whining down, it helped propel the car down the road.

This photo, sent to me by a friend, is of a 1970 Consort ambulance that was on display at the 2008 Illinois Fire Chiefs Ass'n. conference in Peoria.

Does anyone here know her history?

(SL collection)

Attachments

• 1970 Consort IL.jpg
    1970 Consort IL.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 2,030
Tony is correct...

That 1970 Pontiac is indeed one of the ambulances formerly owned by Nevadan, Mays Hause. Last I knew, Mr. Hause had listed the car for sale on eBay with a Buy-It-Now price of $16,000. That was in September 2008... at which time the listing expired with a high bid of $9200; an amount that was below his reserve price. I subsequently lost track of the car after that. The other "Mercy" ambulances I recall Mr. Hause owning (and selling) were a 1972 Superior Cadillac, which I believe ended up with the Bockholt brothers (Bayshore Ambulance), in California, and a similar 1975 Superior Cadillac... which I believe our esteemed PCS colleague Ken Howe may have owned for a time (?)

I still say this is one of the sexiest Poncho pro-cars I've ever seen:

mosaicsample1orig.jpg

Re: Pontiacts, the most beautiful color combo white/lavender '64 Superior"54 was floodlighted featured display of American Amb.Association convention.
Took your breath away entering hall!

This photo, sent to me by a friend, is of a 1970 Consort ambulance that was on display at the 2008 Illinois Fire Chiefs Ass'n. conference in Peoria.

Does anyone here know her history?

(SL collection)

This car is like a beautiful lady with too many tatoos. If you can get past all of the ink you can really see how pretty she is. That is a gorgeous car. :myopinion:

This car is like a beautiful lady with too many tatoos. If you can get past all of the ink you can really see how pretty she is. That is a gorgeous car. :myopinion:

:Exclamation: And before I start getting bashed here....I like tatoos. I have several and my girlfriend has one. That's not what I meant. I certainly did not mean to offend anyone, regardless of sex, who happens to have tatoos. ;)

3. Yardville, New Jersey's 54" nicely-optioned ride was eventually bought by Bob Dietz and sold to the Derfelt F.H. in Galena, Kansas. Derfelt's sold it to the Lawson F.H. in Jay, Oklahoma. The last time I saw her, she was leaning up against the fire station in a small town in Arkansas. Recognize this car? Get out your copy of the 1972 Superior ambulance catalog; through the magic of an airbrush, this car turned into a '72 model! (1971 was the first year for a 54" Pontiac.)

1. Here she is at Derfelt's

2. Derfelt's 1972 Consort combination

(SL photos)

3. This scan is of the back of a D.F.H. service folder from the early 1960s. The ambulance is a wagon-based SWB 1958 Pontiac, possibly a Barnett. This same photo was used in a half-page ad in the local paper when the
car was new. This magnificent old building is still being used, although without that wonderful neon sign. Derfelt's is still family-owned, and under its third generation of operation.

(SL collection)

Attachments

• Derfelt 1971_001 (Medium).jpg
    Derfelt 1971_001 (Medium).jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,325
  • Derfelt 1972_001 (Medium).jpg
    Derfelt 1972_001 (Medium).jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,308
  • Derfelt 1958_001 (Medium).jpg
    Derfelt 1958_001 (Medium).jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,332
First year for Superior's Consort