Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.



Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-17-2010, 11:29 PM
Jim Staruk's Avatar
Jim Staruk Jim Staruk is offline
PCS Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Auburn MA
Posts: 430
Thanks: 1,170
Thanked 835 Times in 215 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Guardian ambulance

I was just reading Tom McPherson's book on the Miller-Meteor professional cars and came across the Guardian ambulance. What a neat ambulance! Are there any of these still around?
__________________
Imagine, a forensic pathologist goes to school for 25 years just to treat dead people!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Sarah Snook Sarah Snook is offline
PCS Life Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Akron OH / Parry Sound, Ontario
Posts: 770
Thanks: 1,137
Thanked 1,495 Times in 442 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Default You wish...

You're going to have to look a long time to find a Guardian. Bruce Biancalana had one that scrapped (still bummed you didn't let me know beforehand - I totally would have bought it, Bruce) and I know of one other that was basically a parts car. Haven't looked for it lately to see if it's still there though. I'd have to do some searching. That's all the luck that I've had with finding one in the last decade.
__________________
International Meet Oversight Committee - Co-Chairperson
John Keel Award for Youthful Enthusiasm - 2003 Recipient
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sarah Snook For This Useful Post:
Jim Staruk (09-18-2010)
  #3  
Old 09-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Adam Borkat Adam Borkat is offline
PCS Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Marietta GA
Posts: 1,017
Thanks: 2,502
Thanked 2,964 Times in 899 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

There was a '61 or '62 Guardian in the midwest recently. New Mexico I think. We talked about it here at some point, but I can't find the thread or pictures of it. Anyone remember this car?
__________________
God grant me the serenity
to mourn the cars I cannot save;
the money to save the cars I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Amen.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Dan Brintlinger Dan Brintlinger is offline
PCS Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Decatur IL 62526
Posts: 189
Thanks: 3
Thanked 339 Times in 120 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Midwest?

Years ago, I had a letter from a man in Pennsylvania who had owned one, but lost it in a divorce..........he was in a nursing home when I contacted him, and he had lost track of it. I think it was a '60.

I still have the original '60 M/M factory brochure for the unit, a huge piece of paper.

By the way everyone, New Mexico is not in the Midwest....................
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-18-2010, 10:29 AM
Adam Borkat Adam Borkat is offline
PCS Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Marietta GA
Posts: 1,017
Thanks: 2,502
Thanked 2,964 Times in 899 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brintlinger View Post
By the way everyone, New Mexico is not in the Midwest....................
Right, and I did mean southwest. That's what happens when I type before drinking my coffee at this hour.
__________________
God grant me the serenity
to mourn the cars I cannot save;
the money to save the cars I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Amen.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-19-2010, 05:09 AM
Tony Blair Tony Blair is offline
Website Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 298
Thanks: 1,120
Thanked 578 Times in 147 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Rolling Easter Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Staruk View Post
I was just reading Tom McPherson's book on the Miller-Meteor professional cars and came across the Guardian ambulance. What a neat ambulance! Are there any of these still around?
Apparently, there was a 62 Guardian in a junkyard in Arizona at some point in the past. Who knows if it was saved. Wish I had known about it. I would have snatched it up in a New York second.

http://misterw.com/Hearses/1962CadillacAmbulance.html
Attached Images
 

Last edited by Paul Steinberg; 09-19-2010 at 10:58 AM. Reason: add picture
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tony Blair For This Useful Post:
Fred Goerlitz (09-19-2010), Jeremy D. Ledford (12-03-2013), Jim Staruk (09-19-2010), Mike McDonald (09-19-2010), Walt McCall (12-01-2013)
  #7  
Old 09-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Jim Staruk's Avatar
Jim Staruk Jim Staruk is offline
PCS Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Auburn MA
Posts: 430
Thanks: 1,170
Thanked 835 Times in 215 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Here's a sales catalogue for sale now on EBay for a 1962 Guardian. Looks like this is the closest I'll ever get to a real one!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1962-cadillac-am...item4aa4d34a17
Attached Images
 
__________________
Imagine, a forensic pathologist goes to school for 25 years just to treat dead people!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Staruk For This Useful Post:
Tony Blair (09-20-2010)
  #8  
Old 11-30-2013, 09:13 PM
Steve Loftin Steve Loftin is offline
PCS Elected Director 2014- 2016
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: McLoud OK 74851
Posts: 2,764
Thanks: 4,230
Thanked 10,042 Times in 2,614 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I couldn't find this car anywhere else on this site. I wish the image was sharper, but it was scanned from a print that was made from a copy negative:

7th District R.S. (Shady Side, MD)
1962 Guardian

http://www.sdvrs59.com/index.cfm?mws=public.home

(SL collection)
Attached Images
 
__________________
Proudly using my own name for 61 years.
Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Steve Loftin For This Useful Post:
Attila Bethlenfalvy (12-01-2013), Fred Goerlitz (11-30-2013), Jeremy D. Ledford (12-03-2013), John Royark JR (12-01-2013), Ken Novak (12-01-2013), Kerry Lange (12-01-2013), Kurt Arends (12-01-2013), Mike McDonald (12-01-2013), Terry Lange (12-01-2013)
  #9  
Old 11-30-2013, 10:01 PM
James Douglas James Douglas is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 164
Thanks: 92
Thanked 174 Times in 69 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm tracking one down thats supposedly rumored to be in Western Kansas out on a ranch in a field under a tarp. Possibly used as a hunting camper but overall still in decent shape just missing the lights and equipment. It's south of Dodge City is all I know at this time.

I have an email into a guy in Chicago who is sharp as a tack at 90 years of age who owned the ambulance service where it was rumored through a person who is now deceased that this company which this guy owned had purchased a special "one off" 1969 MM "high-Boy" that had a special bubble roof built by MM and overhanging rear roof lip just like the original MM Guardians did. There is an interesting back story on this car and the guy and his company. He might even have some old MM files and information which is part of the story.

I am waiting to hear back from him after sending him a long list of questions to verify this claim or to dispel it. I also have his phone number but wanted to wait until after the holiday to call him. In my original email to his daughter she shared with me photos of their fleet from the 20's thru thru the 70's with some very interesting vehicles including a really neat carved panel hearse I have never seen before. I also think these images might never have been posted on line before and I am awaiting their permission to post them and their company history.

They did share with me me a neat picture of another one of their new (at the time) 1969 MM which is rather odd since it has the tunnel light configuration and not the standard light configuration or a common color combination. Heck at first I thought it was a Cotner Bevington on a Cadillac chassis. at any rate I am not one of those who is so secretive about the information and as soon as I hear something I plan to post it.
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to James Douglas For This Useful Post:
Bill Head (12-01-2013), Jeremy D. Ledford (12-03-2013), John ED Renstrom (11-30-2013), Mike McDonald (12-01-2013), Peter Grave (11-30-2013), Russell Dalziel (12-01-2013), Walt McCall (12-01-2013)
  #10  
Old 11-30-2013, 10:10 PM
Chris Elzie Chris Elzie is offline
PCS Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Coldwater MS 38618
Posts: 223
Thanks: 16
Thanked 424 Times in 135 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Douglas View Post
I'm tracking one down thats supposedly rumored to be in Western Kansas out on a ranch in a field under a tarp. Possibly used as a hunting camper but overall still in decent shape just missing the lights and equipment. It's south of Dodge City is all I know at this time.

I have an email into a guy in Chicago who is sharp as a tack at 90 years of age who owned the ambulance service where it was rumored through a person who is now deceased that this company which this guy owned had purchased a special "one off" 1969 MM "high-Boy" that had a special bubble roof built by MM and overhanging rear roof lip just like the original MM Guardians did. There is an interesting back story on this car and the guy and his company. He might even have some old MM files and information which is part of the story.

I am waiting to hear back from him after sending him a long list of questions to verify this claim or to dispel it. I also have his phone number but wanted to wait until after the holiday to call him. In my original email to his daughter she shared with me photos of their fleet from the 20's thru thru the 70's with some very interesting vehicles including a really neat carved panel hearse I have never seen before. I also think these images might never have been posted on line before and I am awaiting their permission to post them and their company history.

They did share with me me a neat picture of another one of their new (at the time) 1969 MM which is rather odd since it has the tunnel light configuration and not the standard light configuration or a common color combination. Heck at first I thought it was a Cotner Bevington on a Cadillac chassis. at any rate I am not one of those who is so secretive about the information and as soon as I hear something I plan to post it.

It could be a pinner.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
M-M Guardian lights Dean Wilkinson Wanted 0 11-04-2011 05:50 AM
Can you spot the Guardian.... Richard Vyse General Discussion Forum 5 10-08-2010 07:51 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 - 2016 Friends of the Professional Car Society