Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:29 PM
PCS Member

Groans: 2
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Guardian ambulance

I was just reading Tom McPherson's book on the Miller-Meteor professional cars and came across the Guardian ambulance. What a neat ambulance! Are there any of these still around?
Old 09-18-2010, 09:12 AM
PCS Life Member

Thanked 1,495 Times in 442 Posts
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Default You wish...

You're going to have to look a long time to find a Guardian. Bruce Biancalana had one that scrapped (still bummed you didn't let me know beforehand - I totally would have bought it, Bruce) and I know of one other that was basically a parts car. Haven't looked for it lately to see if it's still there though. I'd have to do some searching. That's all the luck that I've had with finding one in the last decade.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sarah Snook For This Useful Post:
Jim Staruk (09-18-2010)
Old 09-18-2010, 09:41 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 2,964 Times in 899 Posts
Groans: 0

There was a '61 or '62 Guardian in the midwest recently. New Mexico I think. We talked about it here at some point, but I can't find the thread or pictures of it. Anyone remember this car?
and wisdom to know the difference.
Amen.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:12 AM
PCS Member

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Midwest?

Years ago, I had a letter from a man in Pennsylvania who had owned one, but lost it in a divorce..........he was in a nursing home when I contacted him, and he had lost track of it. I think it was a '60.

I still have the original '60 M/M factory brochure for the unit, a huge piece of paper.

By the way everyone, New Mexico is not in the Midwest....................
Old 09-18-2010, 10:29 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 2,964 Times in 899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brintlinger View Post
By the way everyone, New Mexico is not in the Midwest....................
Right, and I did mean southwest. That's what happens when I type before drinking my coffee at this hour.
and wisdom to know the difference.
Amen.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:09 AM
Website Member

Default Rolling Easter Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Staruk View Post
I was just reading Tom McPherson's book on the Miller-Meteor professional cars and came across the Guardian ambulance. What a neat ambulance! Are there any of these still around?
Apparently, there was a 62 Guardian in a junkyard in Arizona at some point in the past. Who knows if it was saved. Wish I had known about it. I would have snatched it up in a New York second.

http://misterw.com/Hearses/1962CadillacAmbulance.html
Attached Images

Last edited by Paul Steinberg; 09-19-2010 at 10:58 AM. Reason: add picture
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tony Blair For This Useful Post:
Fred Goerlitz (09-19-2010), Jeremy D. Ledford (12-03-2013), Jim Staruk (09-19-2010), Mike McDonald (09-19-2010), Walt McCall (12-01-2013)
Old 09-19-2010, 05:38 PM
PCS Member

Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts

Here's a sales catalogue for sale now on EBay for a 1962 Guardian. Looks like this is the closest I'll ever get to a real one!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1962-cadillac-am...item4aa4d34a17
Attached Images

Tony Blair (09-20-2010)
Old 11-30-2013, 09:13 PM
PCS Elected Director 2014- 2016

Thanked 10,042 Times in 2,614 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts

I couldn't find this car anywhere else on this site. I wish the image was sharper, but it was scanned from a print that was made from a copy negative:

7th District R.S. (Shady Side, MD)
1962 Guardian

http://www.sdvrs59.com/index.cfm?mws=public.home

(SL collection)
Attached Images

Attila Bethlenfalvy (12-01-2013), Fred Goerlitz (11-30-2013), Jeremy D. Ledford (12-03-2013), John Royark JR (12-01-2013), Ken Novak (12-01-2013), Kerry Lange (12-01-2013), Kurt Arends (12-01-2013), Mike McDonald (12-01-2013), Terry Lange (12-01-2013)
Old 11-30-2013, 10:01 PM
Banned

I'm tracking one down thats supposedly rumored to be in Western Kansas out on a ranch in a field under a tarp. Possibly used as a hunting camper but overall still in decent shape just missing the lights and equipment. It's south of Dodge City is all I know at this time.

I have an email into a guy in Chicago who is sharp as a tack at 90 years of age who owned the ambulance service where it was rumored through a person who is now deceased that this company which this guy owned had purchased a special "one off" 1969 MM "high-Boy" that had a special bubble roof built by MM and overhanging rear roof lip just like the original MM Guardians did. There is an interesting back story on this car and the guy and his company. He might even have some old MM files and information which is part of the story.

I am waiting to hear back from him after sending him a long list of questions to verify this claim or to dispel it. I also have his phone number but wanted to wait until after the holiday to call him. In my original email to his daughter she shared with me photos of their fleet from the 20's thru thru the 70's with some very interesting vehicles including a really neat carved panel hearse I have never seen before. I also think these images might never have been posted on line before and I am awaiting their permission to post them and their company history.

They did share with me me a neat picture of another one of their new (at the time) 1969 MM which is rather odd since it has the tunnel light configuration and not the standard light configuration or a common color combination. Heck at first I thought it was a Cotner Bevington on a Cadillac chassis. at any rate I am not one of those who is so secretive about the information and as soon as I hear something I plan to post it.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to James Douglas For This Useful Post:
Bill Head (12-01-2013), Jeremy D. Ledford (12-03-2013), John ED Renstrom (11-30-2013), Mike McDonald (12-01-2013), Peter Grave (11-30-2013), Russell Dalziel (12-01-2013), Walt McCall (12-01-2013)
Old 11-30-2013, 10:10 PM
PCS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Douglas View Post
I'm tracking one down thats supposedly rumored to be in Western Kansas out on a ranch in a field under a tarp. Possibly used as a hunting camper but overall still in decent shape just missing the lights and equipment. It's south of Dodge City is all I know at this time.

I have an email into a guy in Chicago who is sharp as a tack at 90 years of age who owned the ambulance service where it was rumored through a person who is now deceased that this company which this guy owned had purchased a special "one off" 1969 MM "high-Boy" that had a special bubble roof built by MM and overhanging rear roof lip just like the original MM Guardians did. There is an interesting back story on this car and the guy and his company. He might even have some old MM files and information which is part of the story.

I am waiting to hear back from him after sending him a long list of questions to verify this claim or to dispel it. I also have his phone number but wanted to wait until after the holiday to call him. In my original email to his daughter she shared with me photos of their fleet from the 20's thru thru the 70's with some very interesting vehicles including a really neat carved panel hearse I have never seen before. I also think these images might never have been posted on line before and I am awaiting their permission to post them and their company history.

They did share with me me a neat picture of another one of their new (at the time) 1969 MM which is rather odd since it has the tunnel light configuration and not the standard light configuration or a common color combination. Heck at first I thought it was a Cotner Bevington on a Cadillac chassis. at any rate I am not one of those who is so secretive about the information and as soon as I hear something I plan to post it.

It could be a pinner.