For Sale - Illini Chapter Fund Raiser

Patrick J. Martin

PCS Life Member/Illini Chapter President
Hello all! Knowing that many PCS members are model railroaders or at least model collectors, and in an effort to raise funds for our hosting of next year's International Meet, the Illini Chapter is selling HO scale model railroad boxcars that have been professionally custom printed, decorated in a real-life lettering scheme for the Riddle Coach & Hearse Co. Riddle had a fleet of 25 railroad cars just after the turn of the century, and these models are based on an image that appeared in Riddle's 1905 catalog.

Pricing is $18.98 for a kit, $28.98 for a built car, and $5.00 for a section of display track. Shipping is $5.35 for one car, or $11.35 for two or more.

Checks can be made payable and sent to:

Illini Chapter PCS
918 W. Colfax Street
Palatine, IL 60067
USA

Or you can send a PayPal payment to superior1980@yahoo.com

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Riddle_Final.jpg
    Riddle_Final.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 642
Thanks for your kind words, Darren! I'm glad that you and the couple people who private messaged me like them! To answer your question, yes, it is a simple glue together kit. Below is a photo of the kit itself, and a scan of the instruction sheet. Having seen your diorama at the Micro-Meet, I'm sure you'll have this kit put together in under 15 minutes.

Attachments

• RiddleKit.jpg
    RiddleKit.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 598
  • img018.jpg
    img018.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 603
O gauge?

I am an O gauge collector, any chance they will be made in that size?

Attachments

• Hiawatha SKY TOP.jpg
    Hiawatha SKY TOP.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 590
Just for discussion

I have 5 actual salesman photos on the original heavy paper ( the woven kind that was very flexible) that a local antique dealer gave me. They are of Riddles...coaches, an ambulance and even a horsedrawn, all with the model numbers on the back, and some shown with the vehicle. I have had them professionally mounted, framed and sealed. If anyone would want to see them, your always welcome to stop in.
Rich Groeber

I am an O gauge collector, any chance they will be made in that size?

Honest answer is I hadn't thought of doing them in other scales, simply because HO is the most popular scale, but if there is a demand for this car in other sizes, I'd be more than happy to look into it. Naturally, a minumum order size is required for a manufacturer to do a custom run of cars, so there needs to be some demand in order for it to be a worthwhile project.

So, if anyone is interested in seeing these cars in O scale, or any other scale for that matter, please speak up!

Patrick, what a great idea! Will you have some for sale at Daytona?

Thank you for your kind words, Steve! They are appreciated!

I personally will not be making the Daytona meet this year. Certainly nothing against Richard or Florida, its strictly a financial and time off work decision. I reckon I could send some to Florida if there is demand for it, or if there is desire amoung some members to pick up their cars in person, but at the present time, its not a thought I had had.

I just want to say that I got my boxcar last week (OK, I'm slower than Patrick). It's great, love it.

I hope Patrick won't mind this - he sent me a copy of the photo used for reference for making the car. I think it's appropriate to share this, it's pro-car history.

Attachments

• riddle boxcar 1905.jpg
    riddle boxcar 1905.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 304
I just want to say that I got my boxcar last week (OK, I'm slower than Patrick). It's great, love it.

I hope Patrick won't mind this - he sent me a copy of the photo used for reference for making the car. I think it's appropriate to share this, it's pro-car history.

Thank you for the kind words, Steve. Glad you like it!

So far, this thread and the Illini Chapter email list are the only places the cars have been advertised, and already a quarter of what I had made have sold. The rest of PCS should learn about these cars in the next issue of the magazine, and then they will be advertised to the model railroad hobby community. So if you've been on the fence about ordering one, I suggest you do so! They won't be around for long!

Illini Is Doing It Again!

Hello all!

Last year's fund raiser of HO scale Riddle Coach & Hearse Co. boxcars was VERY well received! Not only did they sell out, but enough demand was shown that a second run was done, and that run also sold out! So, the chapter is going to follow up that success with not one, but TWO cars for 2013!

Taking inspiration from the fact that this year's meet will be in Wisconsin, both cars feature Wisconsin automobile companies that had coachbuilder connections. Just this week, I received photos of sample proofs from the manufacturer for approval, and I'm excited to share them with you!

These cars are not yet available. They will be for sale at this year's meet in Milwaukee, and are intentionally being done in a limited number to be a convention exclusive offering. I hope to have the pre-production samples with me to show off at the micro-meet in a couple weeks.

In other news, enough requests were received for Riddle cars in N scale that that is being pursued. The N scale Riddle cars are expected around April. Those of you who requested one will be notified when they are available. If you would like to reserve one, let me know. I will be attending the National N Scale Convention this year, which is being held two months before our meet, and I intend to sell them there. If they sell out there, there will be none left for sale at our meet, but I'd be happy to set a couple aside for those who want one. The N scale cars are expected to sell for $31.95.

Attachments

• nash.jpg
    nash.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 241
  • Kissel.jpg
    Kissel.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 233
I would like a "n" scale Riddle car. I will probably be in Flint.

Thanks Tim, I'll set one aside for you. I will be in Flint too, but the N scale Riddle cars won't be ready yet by then. They are currently in the design stage and are expected around April. Will you be in Milwaukee?

Me too!!

I am in for an N scale car and for each of the new
ones. These are too good to miss.

Patrick

I was hopping to get another HO Riddle box car in Flint. :mad:

I have included some train track in the next diorama for these fine collectibles.

I will take 2 of each in HO of any you have in Flint or in WI this summer.

I love them !

Thanks for making them. Great idea !

Darren

Patrick

I was hopping to get another HO Riddle box car in Flint. :mad:

I have included some train track in the next diorama for these fine collectibles.

I will take 2 of each in HO of any you have in Flint or in WI this summer.

I love them !

Thanks for making them. Great idea !

Darren

Well Darren, if you REALLY want another HO Riddle car in Flint, I suppose you could beat up Brady and take his, since he was the person who bought my last one!

Seriously though, I won't be selling anything in Flint. The N scale Riddle cars aren't expected until April (let me know if you would like one and I'll set it aside for you), and the HO Nash and Kissel cars will be sold in Milwaukee as a meet souvenir. In fact, if you look closely at the photos, in the lower left corner of each car as part of the car's data, is the notation PCS 8-13 MILW. That's not just a coincidence :)

I appreciate your enthusiasm for these offers, and I again want to thank everyone who made the Riddle cars such a success!

Back