Tags For Milly

LeeAnn Cunningham

PCS Member
Went today to get tags for Milly - after a year and 4 months. About 3/4 the way through the process the clerk says: Is this a Hearst? Me: Yes, but without the 't'. Her: I am surprised it passed emissions. Me: Why wouldn't it? Her: Because it is a hearse (no 't' this time). Me: It's the same engine as a car. Her: I guess so but it is so big.

I just thought it was funny. Apparently she had never dealt with a hearse before. At least now she knows there isn't a 't' at the end. Tuh!!

Went today to get tags for Milly - after a year and 4 months. About 3/4 the way through the process the clerk says: Is this a Hearst? Me: Yes, but without the 't'. Her: I am surprised it passed emissions. Me: Why wouldn't it? Her: Because it is a hearse (no 't' this time). Me: It's the same engine as a car. Her: I guess so but it is so big.
I just thought it was funny. Apparently she had never dealt with a hearse before. At least now she knows there isn't a 't' at the end. Tuh!!

You sure it was a "HEARSE-T" she was talking about? :myopinion:

I actually have a hurst !

...but that is the shifter in my Corvette.

I had to spell out the word hearse for the guy at the last repair shop.

No big deal. I often think... how do you spell "certain words" myself.

We all grasp for the proper spelling every once in a while.

Hearse is a word a lot of people mis-pronounce and mis-spell because it isn't something the average person talks about or has to deal with very often.
A good thing in most cases.

This will likely not change much either !

Darren

I have...

I have 2 out of 3. I have a hearse, and a Hurst. But alas, no Hearst. The Hurst is attached to my 1969 Camaro convertible. Original factory equipment when I bought the car.
Mike

I actually have a hurst !

...but that is the shifter in my Corvette.

I had to spell out the word hearse for the guy at the last repair shop.

No big deal. I often think... how do you spell "certain words" myself.

We all grasp for the proper spelling every once in a while.

Hearse is a word a lot of people mis-pronounce and mis-spell because it isn't something the average person talks about or has to deal with very often.
A good thing in most cases.

This will likely not change much either !

Darren

Whenever I register my "hearse" at a car show, I describe it as a 86 Lincoln Funeral Coach, not as a hearse.

I was in Walmart looking at the magazines and a man and little boy were looking at a car magazine. The man show the boy a picture of a Oldsmobile hurst and said, "this is a hurst". The little boy said "hearse", the man said, "no, hurst". I wanted to say, "don't call a hearse a hurst, but I didn't".

I remember one general car show that I attended with the Indiana Chapter. The chapter had arranged for there to be a professional car class with our own class awards. Now I would have assumed that a car show would be run by car people, and that car people would know better. But nope. When awards were handed out, ours were engraved "Ambulance/Hurst".

Here in Illinois, it seems like what your vehicle title or registration says is dependant solely on the person who types it into the computer. Among my hearses, only one is actually titled/registered as a hearse. I have one that's listed as being an ambulance, one as a wagon, one as a sedan, one as a coupe, one as unknown, and my favorite is one listed as being a Carryall. Go figure that one out.

When I got the title for the last car I bought,
the 1960 Hearst, no Hurst, sorry hearse...

It had CASKET CAR listed on the Nebraska title !!! :thumb:

That's been my coolest one yet ! ...and likely the most correct name for it.

Darren

One of the top Safety Directors for Nestle USA, who happens to have become a good friend, always introduces me as someone who collects "hearsts". He's a great guy, and on several occasions I have delicately corrected him in private, but for some reason he persists. He's originally from Canada. Could that have something to do with it??? Tom

Tom

My mom use to work for Nestle's in the '50s. :specool:

Nothing to do with the guy being from Canada !

Words like: color/colour, check/cheque, catalog/catalogue, etc
make a difference between US and Canada... but hearse is International.

:smileflag::smileflagcan: :applause:

Darren

The insurance card for my '69 Superior reads: 1969 Cadillac Hertz
Maybe it was a rental hearse in its past life !

Philip Rishel
The insurance card for my '69 Superior reads: 1969 Cadillac Hertz
Maybe it was a rental hearse in its past life !

Brad Ross
Ah ha! I thought there was something funny about that thing.

Besides livery rentals to funeral homes...

Every hearse gets rented to the families, so I guess all hearses are rentals !
Or "service" vehicles to get a person from A to B.

Just like a taxi.

The only difference is... that you have a pulse when riding in a taxi !!!

:pat:

Darren

On my cars here's how there ID'd.

73 M-M Duplex. State of Tennessee, AM- (Ambulance), State Farm- Hearse

77 M-M Landau Traditional. State of Tennessee, HR- (hearse), State Farm- Hearse.

Darren Bedford
...Just like a taxi.

Steve Lichtman
The only difference is... that you have a pulse when riding in a taxi !!!
Ah, you usually have a pulse when you get in. Not always when you get out, though.

Steve,

Now that sounds more like an ambulance !!!

...and they are just like a taxi here in Toronto !

You are billed for a ride in one !!! ...and much more than the average taxi ride too !

But about 7 times less than your average hearse ride from a funeral home.

Oh well, at least all three are available when you need then.

Darren

Back