Update your car radio...

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
As owners of collector cars, we are always torn between keeping it all original and having less than desirable "tunes" coming from the speakers, or to upgrade the radio to a more modern one that has all the features that we have become accustomed to in our modern cars. Now, there is a "work around" solution that will allow us to leave the original car radio in place, and to add all the modern advantages to it, at little cost. The best part is that you don't even need to take out the old radio to accomplish this. There is a new device on the market that you add under the dash that converts the old radio into a modern piece of electronic wizardry. It is called the RediRad ( http://www.rediscoveradio.com/ ). The cost is $129.00 plus shipping and handling.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-uznlSY59U[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDJz2XryJyc&feature=channel[/ame]

Attachments

• Redi Rad.jpg
    Redi Rad.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 281
radio changes

This sounds like a neat product. I went to the url in the posting and got a page that said the site could not be found. Will try another search soon. Price wise this beats the conversions advertised in Hemmings for $400 or more.
Right now a PT Cruiser has my name on it. Work never ends.
Mike

one way to do it. still stuck with the one speaker in most older cars. but for those of us with major hearing loss that is good enough.

This sounds like a neat product. I went to the url in the posting and got a page that said the site could not be found. Will try another search soon. Price wise this beats the conversions advertised in Hemmings for $400 or more.
Right now a PT Cruiser has my name on it. Work never ends.
Mike

I found the problem, and corrected the link. Please try the new link that I have provided.. Paul

Removable stereos

What I've always done for my stereo in my '66 is I have a regular car stereo with a CD player that I built into a plastic kit box that I got at Radio Shack. I then modified the stereo and put four RCA plugs on the back of the box and modified the power hookup so I can just plug it into the cigarette lighter. I then attached some regular stereo speakers that I put behind the front seat. The stereo then just sits in the center of seat. It works pretty well and I didn't have to worry about my car's lack of speakers and that it didn't come with a radio. Plus, it's completely removable for show days.

Sarah

I did something like Sarah's once except we put speakers on the box the radio was mounted in. Sat on the tranny hump just fine. I like the idea of not changing the dash on older cars, but the sound quality will still be AM.

I purchased an FM converter for my ipod, load her up with 60s tunes et voila. My 67 came with an AM/FM radio. Not sure if it is original, but it works for me.

1967 Pontiac's came with AM radio's as standard equipment, unless the car was ordered "radio delete". The next upgrade was the AM-FM radio, and then they offered the ultimate a AM-FM stereo radio. If you wanted to round out your total sound experience, then you could also add the optional 8 track stereo adapter that mounted under the dash. The AM and standard FM radio could also have a "stereophonic" reverberater added. The switch for the reverberater and rear seat speakers mounted under the lip of the top dash pad for 1967. The same systems were carried over to the 1968 models. I had a 1967 Gran Prix convertible that was ordered for a factory regional manager with all the bells and whistles. Unfortunately, it was totaled in 1970, and I removed a lot of the "options" that had been installed before it was sold for salvage. I still have the radio having sold off most of the other items. Both the factory and dealer installed options for 1967 were almost endless.

Back