Repairing rust

Jim Staruk

Super Site Supporter
Super Site Supporter
There is a small area of rust on the top of the right rear door, under the weather-strip of my 1996 S&S Masterpiece. It's only a few inches in diameter but it's through the paint and eating the metal. I want to fix this ASAP. I looked on You Tube for instructions but didn't find anything similar to this problem. Can someone suggest what I should purchase to fix this before it gets any larger (and deeper)?

Thanks

Jim

I would clean the area with Navel Jelley or any of the other good rust eaters prime it and just spray paint it if your coach is black. Suggest you check rear door also as that seems to be another rust prone area on these ACCUBUILT coaches.

I don't have a lot of experience with this kind of stuff but I have been told that as suggested. one other product is the Sem Rust Mort or any of the other liquid converters. follow directions on can. the local auto paint stores can load you a spray bomb of the correct color and they have clear in the same type cans also. to paint the car use some 1200 grit paper and sand a spot around the patch, but don't cut threw the clear coat. make it a big spot. paint the color keeping as close to the damage as you got only going into the surround by a inch or so to get coverage. then when it flashes off follow up with the clear. do not go out past your sanded spot stay in it. let it sit overnight scuff it with the 1200 and buff it all back to new. you mess up you just have to do it again. A man gets a lot of practice that way. you get it down and you can quit your day job and go work in a used car lot. the repair will run you around 100 bucks.;)

Back