" Former ambulance" ?

Its Possible

I saw one with the ambulance package at a car show last year.

Our rescue squad here in the 60's and early 70's would buy a station wagon off the lot, put a Vis-A-Bar light on it with a cot fastener in the back and you had an instant ambulance... so it happened...

Sure! I used to own a 1964 ACC Olds Vista Cruiser Amblewagon that now belongs to Jim Vowell. I really liked that car.

Well, I sure learned something today. Anyone have pics of typical interior for these ambulances or were they bone stock ?

Attachments

• 68_Buick-Station-Wagon-DV-10-AACA_i01.jpg
    68_Buick-Station-Wagon-DV-10-AACA_i01.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 764
  • 68_Buick-Station-Wagon-DV-10-AACA_i02.jpg
    68_Buick-Station-Wagon-DV-10-AACA_i02.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 779
The interiors are fairly stock. The 1964 Olds I used to own, had a small cooling fan and special interior lights located near the rear of the car to light the interior. However, I also owned a 1961 ACC Pontiac that had none of that stuff. I guess it depends how they were ordered. Sorry, I have no interior pictures.

One of the funeral homes where I grew up had a VistaCruiser wagon with the George K. Allen conversion. It was beige with the woodgrain trim. Wish I took pictures back then.

Well, I sure learned something today. Anyone have pics of typical interior for these ambulances or were they bone stock ?

I know this is a very old thread....The Vista Cruiser (former ambulance) that I own was bone stock. There were some holes drilled in the load floor panels for what I assume were gurney clamps. I Still have the one panel I couldn't use due to these holes. There was also a horizontal rip in the vinyl about 6" or so above the floor that I assume was caused by the gurney. I was told at an Oldsmobile car show in Texas the the three seat wagons were used because they could fold the left 2/3 of the 2nd seat down and an attendant could sit in the jump seat. The only other thing about my car was the larger diameter brake drums on the rear. I don't know if this was some kind of option, or just due to the fact that my car is a big block. They drilled holes in the top of the bumper to mount some lights. I still have this bumper somewhere. Drip rail moldings were scabbed up where they had attached a light bar and holes drilled in the front pillar drip rail to wire tie the wiring.

Back