1953 E&J Mercury Mark I - Resuscitator/Inhalator/Aspirator

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/162045186190?

I bought this, a complete wreck, they put oil in it, I guess to make it work? Well, it just destroyed everything. Except... They had the guts replaced with Emerson parts, and it just didn't fit. I guess they thought it would look cool. But it lacked the ability to be functional. and that's ALWAYS my goal. So I completely disassembled the PFCH regulator, and replaced EVERYTHING from my stock.. and this is what is the result. All three airways that it was supposed to come with, most only have two. Two masks, I do have an extra, Emerson cuff for an infant mask, that still inflates. All original to E&J supplies are included. Case was heavily restored, it still requires some patching, tinting, Shellac and cover up, but with the proper tools and time, you can make the extra holes disappear. The control head seems to have some oil, maybe mineral oil, in it, so oxygen use is out of the question. But I retrofitted some post valves from old steel tanks, and have it set up to hook to an SCBA cylinder. It works like a dream. Yanno, provided you don't consider a 9oz Bag Valve Mask to be a dream, and prefer carting around 68lbs of "ouch my abdominal muscle just tore".

When I started working for the "old" Niagara Ambulance Service (1966), we had Stephenson's. Every engine company for NF Fire Dept (and there were nine at that time) carried an E&J Mercury resuscitator. It took 2 firefighters to carry it. They were state of the art at that time.
Ah, the good old days. :rolleyes:

Back