Ferno-Washington Stretcher

Kurt Arends

PCS Elected Director 2021-2024
Can anyone identify the model number of this folding Ferno-Washington stretcher for me? I found it in a scrap yard in a wrecked 1980s Dodge van ambulance. The serial number is 5111.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 332
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 333
Is it safe to assume that the recessed aluminum "cups" in the floor near the rear door were to position the 2 legs in on one of these model 11 stretchers?

Yes, and some times, they also had wheel cups located further up on the floor that would match up with where the wheels were located when the rear legs were in the cups. Some ambulances were also fitted with a similar set up to accommodate the stair chair, when a patient was seated in it. Made for an interesting ride for both driver and passanger....

I plan on using the Ferno 11 as a second stretcher in my '75 Superior. The '74 Superior parts car is far better equipped and will donate its rear compartment accessories to the '75(including the stretcher leg cups, sky hooks, rear door and side cabinet, etc).

not a lot of changes in them. thought a orange one with the buckle straps would be more age appropriate for the 75. the one in Brendon's 63 had the canvas tied to the frame. the only one like that I have seen

I prefer not to have anything orange in the '75 as the interior is red and the car is going to be either black & white, or red & white. I'll keep an eye out for another one for you Ed!

Ferno 11

not a lot of changes in them. thought a orange one with the buckle straps would be more age appropriate for the 75. the one in Brendon's 63 had the canvas tied to the frame. the only one like that I have seen

Ed,
I remember the Ferno 11's that came NEW when our 72-73-74's Superiors were delivered were a pale GREEN color....I dont know when they changed to orange..:)

And same goes for the Ferno 30 cot mattresses.... they were same green color and belts were black and then started showing up orange...

they offered the 3 colors at the same time. black, orange and the blue gray. the military used the black. but it was not exclusive to them. a lot of stuff has filtered back in that way. right now if I recall correctly you can get black, orange or maroon. but what I'm really keeping my eyes open for is a cotton mattress for the 53.

they offered the 3 colors at the same time. black, orange and the blue gray. the military used the black. but it was not exclusive to them. a lot of stuff has filtered back in that way. right now if I recall correctly you can get black, orange or maroon. but what I'm really keeping my eyes open for is a cotton mattress for the 53.

Ed,
Find me one in red, or maroon, and I will swap you the black one for it.

not a bad price for a new one. but your right that kind of money would get the paint for the truck. you know it not necessary to have them match but it sure looks better. the flier from 70 stoner states that they were all orange. so I had the black #10 thought I would keep my eye open for some more black ones. the orange gurney with black belts and the black 11s with orange belts. after all anyone can own a Suburban, but it's all about the accessories.

Back