Officer stops ambulance for a traffic violation..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attorney defends trooper in Okla. ambulance stop

OKLAHOMA CITY — Bothered that an ambulance driver failed to yield to him as he raced to provide backup on a call — and angered further when he thought the driver flipped him an obscene gesture — state Trooper Daniel Martin decided to stop the ambulance and give the driver a piece of his mind.
What Martin didn't know then, his lawyer said Monday, was that there was a patient in the back of the ambulance.
"He's not this ogre, this depriver of people's rights," the trooper's attorney, Mark James, said. "He's a good man."
Since a cell phone video of the dispute taken by the patient's son was released last month, Martin has faced criticism and has been placed on paid leave pending an investigation. The patient, Stella Davis of Boley, was eventually treated and released from the hospital, but relatives and others have questioned why the ambulance was stopped and pushed for answers.
After the trooper stopped the vehicle, a paramedic jumped from the back and demanded that Martin talk to him instead of the driver, according to a longer video, taken by the dashboard camera in Martin's cruiser, that authorities released over the weekend.
"You get back in the ambulance, I'm talking to the driver," Martin said.
"I'm in charge of this unit, sir," the paramedic tells Martin, an Iraq war veteran who returned from the Middle East about a month before the May 24 incident in Paden, 40 miles east of Oklahoma City.
Martin tells the driver he's going to give him a ticket for failure to yield.
"I ain't going to be putting up with that (expletive)," Martin said. "You understand me?"
Then the paramedic, Maurice White Jr., said: "And I won't put up with you talking to my driver like that."
The situation escalates, with White repeatedly telling Martin he has a patient that he wants to take to the hospital, and Martin telling him to get back in the ambulance. They soon begin scuffling on the side of the road as Martin attempts to arrest White, at one point grabbing him by the throat, video shows.
Martin's attorney said the trooper — whom he described as a decorated sailor and a 15-year law enforcement veteran — didn't realize there was a patient in the ambulance until well after the situation had intensified. He either didn't hear it or it didn't register, he said.
Martin was trying to make a legitimate traffic stop, James said, when White became hostile, refused to comply with the patrolman's orders and caused the situation to spiral out of control.
James said the law allows an officer to pull over an ambulance if its emergency lights and sirens aren't running, as was the case in this incident.
Thompson Gouge, spokesman for the Muscogee (Creek) Nation, which employs White as a paramedic, said the use of lights and sirens depends on the patient's medical situation. Sometimes the lights and sirens often won't be used when patients are transported to the hospital in order to keep them calm.
White's attorney, Richard O'Carroll, said the veteran paramedic was trying to protect his patient and that the trooper had no reason to stop the ambulance, let alone try and arrest White. The trooper's arms were bruised when White resisted arrest, James said.
"If the guy was bruised, it didn't make any difference," O'Carroll said. "He ought not to stop ambulance drivers for hurting his feelings."

When you go to the linked page, make sure to read all the comments that have been posted. Interesting perspective from the public at large...

weather or not he did. when the offices allowed himself to get so far out of control. that he cant hear the parametric tell him the number of times he did that there is a pt in the back. he has no business being in the car. the arrest and whatever could just as easily been made after the run. if the driver was at fault it could have been handled later. the first time the offices was told I have a pt in the back was vary clear. something like this would not happen here in Sd as ambulances are called out threw the police dispatch. everyone would have been on the same page. if a officer had a problem with a driver he would be waiting back at the garage when the coach got back in.

right or wrong on anyone's part this officer has lost control. that is what has allowed the situation to go south. the man in the back has abandoned the pt got into a fight with someone. when he should be attending to his pt.
I would guess there are a number of people going to get a lot of training real soon. but then at least no one got tased this time. most likely no one old enough to be a threat.

He could have simply followed the ambulance to the destination and taken it up then. Instead he compromised patient care and acted beyond the scope of his authority. As for the medic, why did he not at least give his driver the first chance to handle the incident but rather jumped out immediately and intervened? The medic's first responsibility was to his patient.
In summary it was a bad situation that got worse real fast. Based on what I know and saw of this, if the trooper worked for me, he would be looking for employment elsewhere today. Just my opinion.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KluItc365hU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KluItc365hU[/ame]
It's been on YouTube pretty much since it happenned. Both men involved could have handled things better. According to the paramedics incident report (was available at on point in PDF format on a news site, can't find it now) the officer was only using his lights and no siren when he first passed the ambulance they failed to yeild. Sounds like this guy could use retraining on several topics.

You won't believe this in todays news. This happened 05/24/2009, but it isn't on youtube yet. You will have to watch the 15 second commercial and then view the confrontation between the ambulance crew and the officer... This appears to have happened in Oklahoma.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/31376393#31376393

state trooper behaviour/actions

This is one of the most revolting and reprehensible actions I have ever witnessed by a police officer. It is no wonder that the public is increasingly both distrustful and angered with police. This was totally out of order. If he wished to pursue this he should have permitted the ambulance team to take the patient to the hospital and settle things there.

I am completely sickened and angered by what is shown here.

can you say "flash back". this has made the local news up here and they use different footage of both the troopers car the the home video. a good respected officer. war hero, years on the force. to me looking at it he has experienced a flash back and it has sent him out of control. were or when the second officer arrived who knows. then the family on top. been there done that had the flash back. the parametric handled himself fairly well. I did not see a lot of out of control with him. nor could you see when he touched the officer. that was what lead to his arrest. why the driver was arrested first I don't know. in the news clip you can see the patrol car come up on the coach and the driver moved over a tire with and waved the officer around him. to me it was a indication of OK I see you I'll hold tell you get around jester. he did not flip off the officer. the patrol car was running lights no siren the coach was running neither. the officer was responding to the family call??? little late. the coach had them picked up and was transporting a chest pain that was stable. most likely a FF not a black - white thing as the driver is white as is the officer. but you can till from the high pitched voice from the start the officer is out of control from the time he first got out of the car. he needs some help. nothing to be ashamed of happens to the best of us we work the job long enough. but you know how things are there is no reverse in departments. biggest problem of them all. now the whole incident is out of control. the news has it by the throat;)

We've been watching this story at work since it first started. Glad the Highway Patrol finally released the dash-cam video, which they withheld for two weeks!

Did-ja notice that the big emergency call the trooper was responding to, he never got out of his car and was at the scene for less than 30 seconds before he turned around to chase the ambulance?

One person commented that this is probably not the first time the trooper has lost control and went off on someone - just the first time it was caught on video and sent to the TV station.

... the news has it by the throat;)
No, the trooper has the medic by the throat! And by the way, is that the approved method to restrain a person you are arresting?

No, the trooper has the medic by the throat! And by the way, is that the approved method to restrain a person you are arresting?

It is when you know that the guy that you are trying to restrain can whip your ass with one hand tied behind his back. I must say that the medic showed extremely good judgment for not decking the officer when he grabbed him by the throat.

Trooper Martin's Lawyer Press Conference: OHP vs EMT

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiVOjLdX3NY&NR=1[/ame]

EMT's Attorney Responds to Trooper's Claims

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1o3vhrTWIc[/ame]

Witness Says Trooper May Need Anger Management

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIfEsE73Cbo[/ame]

Gods

I have never seen anything like this. I have worked on both sides of this issue. I have seen "Medic Gods" who you would love to knock off their perch. I have seen cops who act like they are the "ultimate authority". Both types are asses. In our community police and fire work as a team, we train together, we respond together and we help each other. It doesn't mean they have to love each other but they sure as hell treat each other with a professional respect of each other's roles and help each other.

Team

I have never seen anything like this. I have worked on both sides of this issue. I have seen "Medic Gods" who you would love to knock off their perch. I have seen cops who act like they are the "ultimate authority". Both types are asses. In our community police and fire work as a team, we train together, we respond together and we help each other. It doesn't mean they have to love each other but they sure as hell treat each other with a professional respect of each other's roles and help each other.

How true. I have and Still do Work Police/Ems and Ause to work as a Volunteer Firefighter. I have had some Paragods do some Stupid Stuff on a Scene and Nearly Screw up an Investigation.(Nothing that a Little Talking to at a Hospital or Their Station wouldnt fix Especially in front of Their Supervisor
(P.S. I also Worked for The Same EMS Agency) If You are Working In Public Safety it is a TEAM EFFORT. Know who Your Comrades are and treat them Like Family

Russ

still a case of can't back up. trooper thought the driver flipped him off he got pissed and was going to teach that driver. the paramedic jumped out from the back in Calf he would have been shot. in TX that would be OK if he was saying how sorry he was. both sides need to drop it and go get training. anger management would be one. but as normal each department is defending there own. neither will back up and look at the big pictures here. the offices was so out of it he could not hear I have a pt I'm transporting. in spite of everything he is to be the professional and in control. no amount of nit picking will change that. everything else could have been handled after the run and if he was on a call leaving it to run down the ambulance he could find at the station later was not the thing he should have done. a lot of blame to go around but no excuse for being that out of control on a incident. as a routine ass chewing that he was going to give the driver.

the unedited version casts a little different light on it....at least to me. I think theres more to this and that the EMT was being passive aggressive. Why wasnt his first words "sir...we are in transport"

This thread has brought back memories:

Without giving all the history...My Uncle had a Funeral Home/Ambulance service back in the day in Dunkirk Indiana.

I'm guessing it was in the 60's when the local Barney Fife tried to pull him over for whatever violation he witnessed while Uncle was running code on a mission. Uncle didn't stop. Uncle finished the run and returned home to find Barney waiting for him.

Short ending...Uncle got cited.. and then proceeded to the City Hall and after a "discusion" with the Mayor the ticket got torn up.

I guess small town life back in the day carried a lot more weight than it does today.

back in the good old days people could step back look at things and see what they were about. this is about a officer thinking he was flipped off by a ambulance driver. this was about showing some one who was the man and thats all it's about. everyone needs to step back and let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back