Rust streaks on body

John Royark JR

PCS Member
How can you get rust streaks off the body? What would be the procedure to do this? Not concerned as why they formed at this time, I know why. Im hoping for something other than sanding them off, and paint work. Anyone removed these?
Sorry about the poor pic, blew up the area on the picture I took.

1982 1 (3) - Copy.jpg

I have used CLR in the past to rectify this situation. It works pretty good. However once your get rid of the rust drool you may want to spray a little WD40 or other light machine oil under the trim once its completely dry to keep future water from making future marks show quickly.

If the CLR is not able to bring it to 100%, you can use a high speed buffer and a "LIGHT" polishing compound to bring it back. Even if you do have to polish it, make sure to spray under the trim as said before. You wouldn't want to feel as if you wasted your time just months after.

that is the best advice I could give also. rinse the product off well to keep it from drying and etching the paint it is a acid.

Thanks guys. If anyone else has a suggestion let me know.

The reason Im wondering is because I have my eye on two series 75's. One has the rusted top that I made a thread about earlier (1975), and this one that is the same body quality, but this rust streaks from under top but vinyl in not bubbling (yet), its a 1982. Both are tha same price, Im just trying to weigh my options and need to decide soon.

I heard a guy who used Vim to rub the paint and seems it worked great on "white". But Im not sure. maybe the utilisation of CLR is better but nothing like a good compound.

I bought a 98 Chevy S-!0 from my son last year and it was white with some rust like that on the box .I used an old product called ZUD similar to Comet. I put it on liberally with a very damp paper towel and after letting it set for about 3 minutes i rubbed it off and it came out beautifully. You have to do it gently though or you can scratch the paint but as long as you use a very damp paper towell it wont hurt the paint..

Back