Federal Beacon Replacement Motors

Has onyone cross referenced a replacement beacon motor? Looks like my Model 184 motor is beginning to fail. eBay has one for $129.00, but that seems way too high. Found a bunch of 12vdc motors here:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDrillDownView?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&categoryName=cat_3515&subCategoryName=Electromechanical%20%2F%20Motors%20%2F%20DC%20Direct%20Drive&category=351530

Just wondering as I'll be pulling it off today for inspection.

Thanks.

motor pics

Terry,
When you get your motor out for inspection post a few pictures here. All of us don't have 184s but will know what to look for.
Mike

Terry as I recall from buying them brand new in the late 60's to early 70's for (construction) company vehicles, there were two different rotation speeds, slow and a faster version. Not sure if the motors were different or the gearing? Years later when I bought several NOS "CJ" ones from John Dorgan I unknowingly received two different speeds. MM

Motor Picture

I ended up taking one from the Model 14's I had prepped to install. (Now waiting until I get the motors squared away.)

Amazing the difference in the old, dying motor. Here are two pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_2865.jpg
    IMG_2865.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2867.jpg
    IMG_2867.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 146
Gene Smith might have some insight on this. I remember him talking how the Powerlight used a slower motor than the BeaconRay. He intentionally mixed speeds on his Olds.

Back