Correct V Belt numbers needed

James Fischer

PCS Member
After researching previous posts here,I went to my local auto supply.....and both times I was given belts that are NOT correct size wise.....

If someone could PLEASE post the correct numbers from Gates,Good Year,etc that I can cross ref if needed...for 1970 Superior AMBULANCE

Are the belts in a "standard" 472 the same as "commercial Chassis"(ambulance) ??

According to the 70 repair manual the PS+air belt should be .38"X59.00"
and the Gen/Alt should be .47"X36.72

This is what I asked for......but like I said the "crossovers" were not close at all....
Thanks in advance !!

rock auto there cheaper and they show up right away

ok,I can do that....but still would like the correct #'s....:)

Update:I went on Rock Auto's website and I didnt know that they show the numbers that are needed for your particular vehicle,so I will order the numbers that they show......V-belts for a $1.95 IS pretty cheap.....!

Last edited:
I can get you the correct GM numbers, but it won't be till tonight. If Ed still has the wrappers from my car, he can post the Gates part numbers.

now these numbers will work. I know because I put them on. they are tight you will work at it. 4 belts double on the ac power steering need to be a matched set. the single on the big alternators and the single on the water pump/smog pump

Attachments

• IMG_9298.jpg
    IMG_9298.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_9300.jpg
    IMG_9300.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_9304.jpg
    IMG_9304.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 195
Ed... you put the smog pump belt on backwards... are you going to turn it around???? :D

now these numbers will work. I know because I put them on. they are tight you will work at it. 4 belts double on the ac power steering need to be a matched set. the single on the big alternators and the single on the water pump/smog pump

THANK YOU Ed !!!
Thaaaaats what I what I was looking for !!!

Even better with them on the vehicle !!!!:applause:

Thats funny because that is not what came up on Rock Auto but as long as it works I have no problems.....

Thanks again !

I see that. thinking about trying some black marker and seeing if I can get away with it. but darn it would be the first or last belt depending on how your thinking.. now remember these are on the 69 ambulance. only the P/S A/C belts would be the same on a Hearse the smaller alternator is different . the smog pump may be the same or not I'm not taking mine off to see. I have no idea when they started adding the spacer to swing out the alternator father but I know 75 has that. so it's a longer belt. these are as short a belt as you can get on. I do know that.

If you are going to order the belts from RockAuto.com, then you will need to telephone the order, since these belt numbers are not listed under the car listing. You can put the part number into their search engine, and order it that way.
Matched belts, means that the two belts are matched at the factory for the exact same length, and also means that they both come off the same machine. Today, they no longer sell matched belt pairs. Usually the "mismatch" goes away once they are on the car and used for a week. At that point, all you have to do to get a matched set, is to adjust the belts a second time. In the old days, they were tied together with string, but I haven't seen this done for many years.

Ed... you put the smog pump belt on backwards... are you going to turn it around???? :D

Paul+Ed,

Just wanted to say that the 4 belts arrived today,they are an EXACT match of what Ed posted....the one belt is even printed UPSIDE DOWN and
they did not come with any instructions ..:confused:.so I am going to install them the same way that Ed did on your MM Paul !!!:rofl:

Thanks again !!

Correct me if I am wrong.....But I don't believe 70 had a smog pump...71 and up did...and 68-69 did......I used to hoard 70 Crank pulleys because it would allow you to lose the smog pump.....

Well back to square 1....After replaceing AC/PS X2.....(it was tight,but managed to get them on)....the other 2 belts to the SMOG and ALT (Gates 9463 and 9560) are not even close.....not sure what the problem is,since they aobviously fit on Ed's ambulance .....so heading back tomorrow to the local autoparts to match up the belts that were on originaly.....

take the belt down with you and ask for one about a inch longer. getting the smog pump fan belt on requires your to loosen the pump so it slides all the way.
on the adjuster. surprising how you can move it so far after it falls in the grove.
to get the alternator on I had to take the tighter off pry the belt over the pulley then put the tighter back on. again when you get it on it's surprising how much you can move things. not a lot of moment in the alternator either. the belts were tight but remember they will stretch in use.

Their on !

I went down to my local Cadillac dealer(Hubacher) Monday and wanted to hear from them exactly what the V belt numbers were for a 1970 CC 472 with air.
It took a little time..at first they were not wanting to do too much research and the young guy at the counter wasnt even real sure what a commercial chassis was...:confused:
After the parts manager heard our conversation..he came over and asked what I needed...he said give him 15 minutes......he went upstairs and when he came back he had a print out in hand ....
According to Cadillac the 1970 CC 472 with air uses 2-AC Delco 15597(Gates 7597(601/8") for AC/PS and 2-Gates 7612(61.58")for ALT/FAN.......
Task completed....:applause:

so which Commercial chassis did he look up? ambulance is different then the Hearse/combo. your missing one belt for the smog pump/fan in the numbers and I thought your alternator had only one?

I really miss the good old days. were you grabbed the belt took it down to the parts store and they slipped it on the stretcher and read out the number. you were stretched out you got the next one shorter. to tight and the next on up. so simple no wounder they changed it

but the numbers I suppled were the ones I put on the 69. they were tight. the 68 uses three of them. but a different alternator as it's a combo. we were lucky as we put the belts on when I had the front end off the car. that smog pump is not a fun one to get on.

I would guess ambulance.. Wouldn't a hearse be the same size as a passenger car. The alt is a slightly higher amp then the passenger car but wouldn't the pulley be the same?

the fleetwood drives the alternator and fan off the same belt. the CC use the smog pump to drive the fan. the Hearse used the standard alternator and mounts. the ambulance the big one and different mounts. but then again it's one year to the next what they did. the big problem is now at 50 bucks a belt how many wrong ones do you need.

so which Commercial chassis did he look up? ambulance is different then the Hearse/combo. your missing one belt for the smog pump/fan in the numbers and I thought your alternator had only one?

Sorry...he looked up AMBULANCE for me....

The alternator I have has 2 belts:

bth_005-6_zps46541776.jpg

sending you pictures of the 69 was not a lot of help then. your set up is way different. does the 70 use the alternator to tighten the belt?

Back