Replacing part of linoleum in 70 Superior

James Fischer

PCS Member
Todays task was to start replaceing the water damaged linoleum in the back two corners of the 70......
After removing the linoleum there was very little damage to the wood,just seems that most was the seperation of the flooring itself.
I hope to obtain a section of original material soon.
My other option is to replace the piece with a solid color section that is close,OR get a piece of stainless to fit there....if anyone has any other suggestions I would love to hear them.....:)

Here are a couple of pics before and after...

002-7.jpg

001-4.jpg

003-5.jpg

004-6.jpg

If you patch it, it is always going to look like a patch. Why not do it right the first time, and replace the entire floor covering? Take out the bench, clean and paint as necessary, and fix everything that is in the back now, and you can then move onto the rest of the car until it is restored to what you want.

I agree with Paul. Too often we think we will "do that later". If it is 1/3 apart do it all and that part of the coach is done. I have had good luck matching floor material with older floor covering stores that may have some old patterns back in the stock room. Other place to try is an RV dealer or vintage kitchen supplier.

sometimes there is no choice but replace. but here it might be worth trying to make a repair.

I see two problems here. the must do for me would be to find the leak and fix it first. then the floor. it may be the door seal or the corner glass leaking. my bet is one the corner glass. the dried out wood can be made solid again with a little fiberglass Rosen painted on the wood. it will soak it into the fibers and it will re glue the layers so you can get a screw back in and do what you need to the edge. it will also keep it from absorbing any more water.

then the question of replace all the floor or splice in comes into play. the easy place to do the splice would be the edge of the hatch.if you can match the pattern there with the material you have you should be able to get a almost invisible splice in the material. it's done all the time laying a floor. but if with the scrap you have you can't match the pattern a splice cove over piece must be used.

now me had it been my car I would have cut a corner piece of Stainless or aluminum the same size and shape and fit it over the damage on both sides after I fixed the leak. no one would have been the wiser and as long as both sides were the same it would look Ok. but I see your past that now. so I would try the splice first then the cover piece next. then the whole floor as a fall back. if your unsure of your skills getting some one from a flooring store to do put it in for your. it will surprise you what a good man can do.

but if you can't match it I would lay down a piece of polished metal before I did a different color flooring

sometimes there is no choice but replace. but here it might be worth trying to make a repair.

I see two problems here. the must do for me would be to find the leak and fix it first. then the floor. it may be the door seal or the corner glass leaking. my bet is one the corner glass. the dried out wood can be made solid again with a little fiberglass Rosen painted on the wood. it will soak it into the fibers and it will re glue the layers so you can get a screw back in and do what you need to the edge. it will also keep it from absorbing any more water.

then the question of replace all the floor or splice in comes into play. the easy place to do the splice would be the edge of the hatch.if you can match the pattern there with the material you have you should be able to get a almost invisible splice in the material. it's done all the time laying a floor. but if with the scrap you have you can't match the pattern a splice cove over piece must be used.

now me had it been my car I would have cut a corner piece of Stainless or aluminum the same size and shape and fit it over the damage on both sides after I fixed the leak. no one would have been the wiser and as long as both sides were the same it would look Ok. but I see your past that now. so I would try the splice first then the cover piece next. then the whole floor as a fall back. if your unsure of your skills getting some one from a flooring store to do put it in for your. it will surprise you what a good man can do.

but if you can't match it I would lay down a piece of polished metal before I did a different color flooring

Ed,

As hard as it is to find ANY amount of this material,I opted to just replace the damaged area......it is only about 12" into the floor from the rear edge.
Plus the rest of the flooring is PERFECT....

Yes the culprit seems to be the bottom edge of the corner windows.....will work on that next......

As I said I am not sure if I am going to be able to get this material I am hoping so (fingers crossed),but again I am thinking the same as what you said ,just get a piece of satin/polished stainless or aluminum and install that....as a last resort.....

Hopefully my contact with the linoleum comes through.....:)

Thank you again Ed for your help and thoughts....:thumbsup:

Back