Pontiac Bumper Straightening Technique?

Any successful ideas on how to pull down the front bumper on my Pontiac? It looks bent upward from some poor towing over the years? Really noticed it as I was going to mount the front license plate frame.

Perhaps a tractor and a tow strap?

"Tape a cheetah on its back?"

Thanks!

Attachments

• Pontiac at Jacks.jpg
    Pontiac at Jacks.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 149
buy one that isn't bent, and have it re chromed. Yours will never be straightened well enough to look right.

looking face on you can't see anything. how about a side view? have you tried to loosen the bolts and readjust it on the frame horns? looks to me like all it needs

Ed - If you look straight on, you can see that both side near the middle are pushed back. From the sides, it is straight. I had to look at two pictures side by side. Really obvious when I tried to mount the license plate.

Replace it. You'll never get this one straightened out to where it should be. They aren't that hard to find. My grandmother had a '72 Pontiac, so the damage to your bumper really jumps out at me.

I'm with Paul and Kurt. Your car is looking so good, I'd hate to see it with a rumpled bumper. I agree it'd be good to find a straight one. Even if you could straighten it a bit, the two sides would probably never be even.

so that what has it rolled out on the top. it's so even it looks natural. now then until you get one hook it low in the center with the fence stretcher. go around the nearest tree as the power company frowns on you using there poles and set the brake hard pull the lower edge out till the center section is square and the lower looks like this picture. then with the tension on. take a 2x4 and a 5 lb hammer and smack the bumper from underneath I would say first were the center curve into the horizontal piece. hit it right on that curve on the bottom edge. that will set it so it stays were you want it. watch the corners at the fenders and keep the hood open. if the rest of it is in good shape it may just work. funny the shop did not catch it. before you painted the car a chain and back up would have done it. same force in reverse is all you need. the grill is it one or two pieces? if it's one piece I would remove it first. how could you push the bumper that far back and not brake it?

Attachments

• 1972 pon.JPG
    1972 pon.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 82
re looking at the pictures I can't see enough to tell you what to do. I'm guessing it's a 2 piece bumper that some one set the jack in the center of to pick the car up. or clip a high curb parking it. as we are looking down not up or straight on it hard to see how it got damaged that way and not taken out the grill. so lets rethink. if it rolled up from the rear of the center. grab hook from the back in the center. let it drop to the ground and wrap it around a 4x4. the using two floor jacks, jack up between the 4x4 and the frame. the car goes up the chain gets tight and the bumper rolls down and out. but really I can't see what is there or what is going on all we are doing is guessing and tossing out Ideas. some of them should have given you a hint or two on your problem

Attachments

• 1972 mess.jpg
    1972 mess.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 84
Back