Spare tire mount?

Nicholas Studer

PCS Elected Director 2022-2025
Another mystery solved serendipitously. Turns out the four holes behind the driver's seat of the RCFD 1963 Pinner-Chrysler was a mounting bracket for the spare tire. Old photo, pre-new carpet, below. Guess that's what the black marks are from. Makes sense.

Jack Pinner tells me all Pinner Coach's had a spare tire behind the passenger seat as a standard feature. I know this was the case for many similar vehicles. He tells me that most likely they just took the standard Chrysler sedan's tire mount out of the car when it was converted and modified it somehow to fit there. I've searched the archives with no luck. Anyone have a photo of how it was done in other vehicles?

Unfortunately, service and owner's manual do not show the mounting setup in a regular Chrysler New Yorker sedan. Nor have I had any luck online searching for a photo that doesn't have a tire in place covering it. I'd be interested if better ideas where to look.

P.S.: I'm surely in the market for a 1963 Chrysler bracket/hardware if anyone has a source. I can probably get it modified locally.

Attachments

• DriversFloor.jpg
    DriversFloor.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
a bolt the same size as the wheel studs with a tab welded on the end. the tab was drilled and bolted to the divider with two bolts. the spare was rolled in and if one of the stud holes aligned with the bolt a wheel nut was place over it and tightened . if the bolt came out in the center hole a strap was place over the hole and a nut held it all to the divider. all they would have used out of the car was the bolt and wing nut most of them were 1/4 20 stuff I would guess on this one they did not have a block to catch the top of the tire. then a lot of times they would use the jack base as the strap to hold the tire to the wall. does this one have the standard car jack or not?

The hook mounting bracket on a standard '63 Chrysler would have been spot welded to the floor, so I am relatively sure that they wouldn't have used the factory mounting bracked. They may have used the factory hook itself. I am sure that I can come up with a hook ad wing nut. They aren't much different than what GM used.

No jack present with the car when Paul got it. Come with the vehicle originally? Who knows. They certainly changed a lot with the vehicle over time - and removed as much as they could when it went out of service...

At http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showpost.php?p=841893313&postcount=5 you can see the driver's side shelf above the tire area. Rather odd configuration of holes, almost looks like something was there originally and then replaced. Maybe not - really hard to tell? The 4 holes on the other side, as discussed, were Big-Beam brackets. Maybe one or a few were for the top of the tire somehow?

I'll try to reach Jack again too. He could tell me they'd just modify the original hardware from the car they'd purchase from the dealer. eBay mainly showed me the wingnut was fairly easily available - but little else.

Ok here is a couple pictures out of a 63 superior. first is the tire in place with the wind nut removed. the second is the mount that is welded on the steel divider. as you and see on the superior they just welded a tab on with a hole in it then the long bolt has a right angle bent on the end and a hole for the cotter key. the bolt slipped into the nole the cotter key keep it from falling out. this arrangement let the bolt move freely so that one could remove the tire and replace it. the set of holes you have and the marks from the tire say it was a similar set up in the pinner. except Jack Pinner did not have anyone that could fill a straw mixed with sawdust and iron filings to weld it to the wood. they had to bolt or screw the tab on.

Attachments

• 86 IMG_4764.jpg
    86 IMG_4764.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_10021a.jpg
    IMG_10021a.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 311
Tire Mount

Ok here is a couple pictures out of a 63 superior. first is the tire in place with the wind nut removed. the second is the mount that is welded on the steel divider. as you and see on the superior they just welded a tab on with a hole in it then the long bolt has a right angle bent on the end and a hole for the cotter key. the bolt slipped into the nole the cotter key keep it from falling out. this arrangement let the bolt move freely so that one could remove the tire and replace it. the set of holes you have and the marks from the tire say it was a similar set up in the pinner. except Jack Pinner did not have anyone that could fill a straw mixed with sawdust and iron filings to weld it to the wood. they had to bolt or screw the tab on.

A few pics of my 65C/B you can see it came with a bumper jack , but I would never use it ,I always carry a AAA card or small scissors jack. :)

Attachments

• DSC03268.jpg
    DSC03268.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 351
  • DSC03269.jpg
    DSC03269.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 338
  • DSC03270.jpg
    DSC03270.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 317
I always though it was strange the CB used the factory Jack. I'm not sure you could get a rear tire off the ground with one. bad enough on a sedan.

This is a spare tire threaded stud from my scrap iron pile. I have to remember to put all this junk back into the barrel in the morning. Scrap prices are going up.

Attachments

• MVC-016L.JPG
    MVC-016L.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 231
I always though it was strange the CB used the factory Jack. I'm not sure you could get a rear tire off the ground with one. bad enough on a sedan.

I know for a fact that you cannot with a 70 C/B. If you put a cinderblock under the jack it will work, but I do not recommend that, just trust me on that one. I was a lot younger, stupid and didn't know much about these cars when I did that.

Paul's luck while continuing to clean his garage solved the question! Talking with Jack Pinner brought up more - turns out the tire had a custom cover made for it. Same color as the upholestery. Now to get that made up - plus find the 15" wheel and proper tire.

He also tells me there would've been a mount for the jack. There are 4 screw-holes, so it becomes obvious those must correspond to the jack mount. Dan Scully was kind enough to share more photos of his C/B, and they just left them sitting on the floor. In this case, the jack must be lying on the small shelf somehow. I'm envisioning something like the below but am just guessing. I suppose they could've had a sleeve of some kind too. Unfortunately, I can't find any good photos of the jack storage instructions folks reproduce now (all small and blurry), nor one of a proper trunk. :cool:

Attachments

• tmc_detail.jpg
    tmc_detail.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 134
clamps like that would hold the tire wrench. if they used the bumper jack the base would normal go in the center of the tire and the wind nut would hold it all in place if it was one of the screw jacks it would be laying somewhere and the rod and tire tool clamped down.

Yup, base would mount underneath the wingnut. The key is the jack itself. Wish I could blow up this decal. Probably will just haul off and buy one to actually see what it shows...

By the way- I've seen covers before - might there be good photos of other examples to help guide when get the replacement made? This isn't exactly an area everyone photographs at the show! :) Jack doesn't believe there was a hole in the middle for the wingnut - but we're both unsure how the cover would come off the tire then in order to remove it. I was thinking maybe the "bottom" material of the cover's skirt would be omitted. You could then just pull it upwards and off.

Attachments

• 96bc_12.JPG
    96bc_12.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 151
There is most likely nothing you see in that factory plate that would reference to your car. The tire is no longer in a trunk, but relocated behind the seat, by a corporation different than the original manufacture. the cover was most likly just a ring with a elstic band the you slipped over the face of the tire after you secured it to the divider.

Talking with Jack Pinner brought up more - turns out the tire had a custom cover made for it. Same color as the upholestery. Now to get that made up - plus find the 15" wheel and proper tire.

Photos of the spare tire cover in my '67 S&S:

Attachments

• tire cover 2.jpg
    tire cover 2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 90
  • tire cover.jpg
    tire cover.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 85
Back