Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 05:18 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 2,980 Times in 908 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Ambulance thread on another forum

Cool site, and there are some other good treads in there too.

www.youngstownfire.com

Adam
Old 05-08-2009, 05:31 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 2,980 Times in 908 Posts

Set aside a good full day to get through all these!

1960 - 1989 Ambulances

Adam
Old 05-08-2009, 10:39 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 2,957 Times in 1,397 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Thanks Adam! It is great!

Wow! That is one very cool and well organized website. Anybody see familiar cars? I saw quite a few that now belong to PCS members. I also remember seeing that '68 Pinner Cadillac in service back in '77! Did anybody see Paul Steinberg's Pinner Chrysler? How about Rich Litton's '65 Superior Pontiac when it was in service? And on and on and on.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:48 AM
Website Member

Thanked 1,764 Times in 566 Posts

Bill I did a quick glance & immediately found a goregous gold & black 1973 Caddy Superior hightop ambulance and it's light-up signs say "Bucyrus" so I was AMAZED to see an old coach from right here in B-town... now to search for the old '51 Superior... it served somewhere in Morrow county, Ohio. VERY neat site!

Old 05-09-2009, 11:39 AM
PCS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Brooks View Post
Bill I did a quick glance & immediately found a goregous gold & black 1973 Caddy Superior hightop ambulance and it's light-up signs say "Bucyrus" so I was AMAZED to see an old coach from right here in B-town... now to search for the old '51 Superior... it served somewhere in Morrow county, Ohio. VERY neat site!

I was admiring this beauty! I never saw it in person, but somewhere along the way I had seen pictures of it before. It is very striking, isn't it?
Old 05-09-2009, 12:46 PM
PCS Life Member / PCS President 2014 - 2018

Thanked 3,319 Times in 719 Posts

The photo of the '73 was taken at the 1988 PCS meet in Decatur, IL. This was the car's first appearance at a PCS function and it was mobbed by admirers! At that time, it was owned by Fred Sparks and his wife, Pat. If I remember correctly, they owned a funeral home in Bucyrus.

Here's a sign of the times for ya... The car was for sale at that meet (remember, this was 21 years ago) for $5,000. No takers.

The joke around the showfield was that the car bore incorrect license plates. They should have read "AMPDRAW" !
Old 05-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Website Member

Thanked 1,764 Times in 566 Posts

Quote:
The photo of the '73 was taken at the 1988 PCS meet in Decatur, IL. This was the car's first appearance at a PCS function and it was mobbed by admirers! At that time, it was owned by Fred Sparks and his wife, Pat. If I remember correctly, they owned a funeral home in Bucyrus.
Thanks for the info Tony! The website indicated only that it's presently owned by a PCS member. Now i'll have to do some digging & see if Fred Sparks & his funeral home are still around. I only lived here in Bucyrus for 3 years & ran into a funeral director @ Taco Bell the other day... I parked my hearse next to his & he seemed not too happy with me or just didn't want to talk, hope it wasn't Fred!
YES Bill... it is VERY striking! Another reason to put wide whites on the '67 Miller-Meteor with stock hubcaps
Old 05-09-2009, 02:26 PM
PCS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Karsnia View Post

Here's a sign of the times for ya... The car was for sale at that meet (remember, this was 21 years ago) for $5,000. No takers.

The joke around the showfield was that the car bore incorrect license plates. They should have read "AMPDRAW" !
Tony, I bet you wish you bought it now, hmmm? Oh boy, all of those coulda, woulda, shoulda cars that got away!
Old 05-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Website Member

Default Successor to Fred Sparks

Here is the FH where Fred Sparks was and their present website:

http://www.munzpirnstill.com/
Old 05-09-2009, 03:49 PM
PCS Life Member

Default "The Rest of the Story..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Brooks View Post
Thanks for the info Tony! The website indicated only that it's presently owned by a PCS member. Now i'll have to do some digging & see if Fred Sparks & his funeral home are still around. I only lived here in Bucyrus for 3 years & ran into a funeral director @ Taco Bell the other day... I parked my hearse next to his & he seemed not too happy with me or just didn't want to talk, hope it wasn't Fred!
YES Bill... it is VERY striking! Another reason to put wide whites on the '67 Miller-Meteor with stock hubcaps
That ambulance is indeed still around! Originally owned by REEB Funeral Home of Sylvania, OH -- a firm which apparently made a habit of similarly (and impressively!) adorning their ambulances with emergency equipment (se the picture of their '68 Superior Cadillac below) -- the vehicle was subsequently owned by Fred Sparks of "Bucyrus." He in turn sold it to Larry Robinaugh (also a PCS member) of Robinaugh EMS in Bellefontaine (OH). Robinaugh still owns and maintains this gem today!

Here are a few more images of the car... both 'back in the day' and now.