What's this light called ?

That"s a Roto-Ray. The new models have LED lights in them.

Roto- Rays are rare in BC. Never seen one on any fire vehicle new or old until last year. Colwood Fire Rescue (suburb of Victoria) has on their new Pump.

Pictures can be seen here:

http://www.hubfire.com/1119.php

still around.......

Roto=Rays were very popular in the 50s or so, but lost their appeal.......a dept just north of Decatur, Hickory Point Vol Fire Dept, puts them on all their apparatus........email me if you want the Roto-Ray co. address.....

Merry Christmas!!

Thank you for the information. I assume they had limited applications on ambulances. I think they'd look killer. Are there specifications on mounting the unit that would pose a challenge on an ambulance ? Grill mount ?
I did find one picture of two mounted on a 1950's ambulance. That thing looks like it wants to fly !

Attachments

• roto ray.jpg
    roto ray.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 879
Here is a link to a place you can buy new Roto Rays, with the company address listed.

Old ones are available like other old warning lights.

The thing about mounting them is that they have a motor which takes up space. You need to have a large, open area, as those really do spin, so the entire area within the diameter of the spinning bulbs needs to be clear. And because of the movement, the mount has to be very stable.

But they do look cool. We have them on all our heavy fire apparatus at Mt. Airy VFC, and many places around here have them, too. (In fact, while DC Fire & EMS does not purchase Roto Rays on their fire apparatus, the city buys apparatus with the wiring and mounts in place - the individual station can raise money to buy their own and have it installed!)

This was originally called the Buckeye Roto Ray, made by the Buckeye Iron & Brass works of Dayton, Ohio. Buckeye was well known for its agricultural products (tobacco cutting machinery, linseed and cotton seed oil presses) and steam fittings. The remains of the Roto Ray product line were acquired by firefighter Richard Sleppetz of Herndon, VA in the 1980s. Demand for Roto Rays never completely abated and Mr. Sleppetz was able to redesign the light and produce it reliably. Today production runs approximately 700 units per year. Virtually every fire apparatus manufacturer includes wiring for a Roto Ray in their custom cabs.

Back