stocking an ambulance circa 1952

Tim Prieur

PCS Member
Starting to work on the contents for the 52 National. What would have been stocked way back then?
-wood splints,
-a first aid kit of some form- scratch made or formal kit
-k basin
-sheets and an extra blanket
I am sure I am missing something, any thoughts appreciated.

the big thing is not a lot. surprising how many pictures you see of the older rigs and they just have the bare cotton striped mattress. jump kit, a dr type bag with enough stuff to stop a major bleeder and tie things up. mainly cravats and gause stuff with cloth backed tape. no belts on the gurney no back board and the wood slat splints. they did a lot of improvising on scene in those days. a good boy scout first ade manual will show you everything they carried.

Some things we had back in the 60's when I started.

Timmons Splints. Made of canvas and had wood slats inside. They had rawhide cords attached and had eyelets on both sides, laced up like a boot. I believe these were military surplus.

First Aid Box. We used old resuscitator boxes, Tube Caddies, and even roller skate boxes. Seen some Knickerbocker bags back then (like an old fashioned doctors bag) We did not have that kind of money.

Thomas half ring traction splint with stockinette.
Heavy cumbersome O2 tank (Steel) With regulator with glass clock covers that broke the first time it was dropped.

If you were lucky, a Stephenson resuscitator with venturi suction.

A Motorola 2 way radio with a dynamotor power supply. ( you had to key the mike and wait a couple seconds before you spoke, as the motor had to come up to speed and supply sufficient plate voltage to the transmitter to allow it to work)
I know I've forgot a few things, I'm not the only dinosaur here,:rolleyes: Help me out guys.

The splints Denny referred to were also standard with the Canadian ski patrol,very easy and quick to apply,might want to throw in a 50 foot rope the old thick type, and chain, crow bar.imagine back in the day in remote areas rescue squads were tow trucks or limited stuff the ambulance carried.

This is what I assembled for the "Emergency Kit" for my '51 National. The wooden splints are in the drawers. The top drawer contains bottles with things like boric acid solution, iodine, castor oil, etc. I also have the old school gurney with the striped mattress and pillow, as well as a wool blanket with the caduceus on it (military surplus).
BTW, did you ever post pics of the '52? Could not find them and would love to see it.

Attachments

• P1020023.jpg
    P1020023.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 96
  • P1020027.jpg
    P1020027.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 96
a lot of people have the Hx of that national down. but was this the one Mike had at the 05 meet in Denver?

Back