On The Road Again!

Well the story comes to an end. Picked up wrecker this morning about 11am. Seemed to be running ok when I picked it up. This bill cost me $1900. Part was about a grand. Loaded up police cruised on back and off we went by noon. Has slight issue or two but figured it would get me home. Arrived at Jeremy's about 6pm where Cynthia hopped in the bus and off we went. Was getting dark and I was getting tired but on we went. Finally got home about 11:30pm. All is home now. Hope all enjoyed our road trip. Can't wait for the next one! How about you LeeAnn?

How about South Dakota sometime around December 2012 or January 2013....... Ops... forgot that the world is scheduled to end on December 21. 2012... If the world ends, does that mean that I don't have to pay for the work Ed done???...........
Thanks for considering this..
Paul

I'm ready. I can pack in 10 minutes. LOL. What's funny, yesterday afternoon I was on 65 going under Briley overpass within a couple of minutes of Danny going over 65. And he wouldn't even stop for dinner! :(

Well the story comes to an end. Picked up wrecker this morning about 11am. Seemed to be running ok when I picked it up. This bill cost me $1900. Part was about a grand. Loaded up police cruised on back and off we went by noon. Has slight issue or two but figured it would get me home. Arrived at Jeremy's about 6pm where Cynthia hopped in the bus and off we went. Was getting dark and I was getting tired but on we went. Finally got home about 11:30pm. All is home now. Hope all enjoyed our road trip. Can't wait for the next one! How about you LeeAnn?

A grand for the part, what was it? Hope it has a gold lining.

It was an injector pump. Seems to be one of those things you have to do to these 6.5 diesels sometimes and this one probably never had one so with 170k guess it was due.

Did they relocate the injection pump driver when they put the new pump on? I'm not saying that was the problem, as I haven't seen the truck, but my injection shop told me (I was looking at a used truck with the 6.5) that alot of the injector pump problems are actually the failure of the electronic injector pump driver. It is mounted directly to the injector pump, and fails due to the high temperatures of being in the V of the engine. There are kits to relocate the driver away from the pump, and add a heat sink, which eliminates alot of failures. If I had a 6.5L in a truck I was going to keep, I would probably put one on.

See info here. - No endorsement implied, as I've never installed one.

:my2cents:

It was an injector pump. GOt a copy of invoice from supplier and mechanic didn't mark price up. That was for a rebuilt one. Seems to be one of those things you have to do to these 6.5 diesels sometimes and this one probably never had one so with 170k guess it was due.

Is this something all full injected engines have, or just diesel? you are right, 170,000 is a pretty good run for a part nowdays.

Danny; I'm thinking all in all you came out of the mess pretty fairly. I do know on the Ford 6.9 & 7.3 you're due for a pump rebuild in the 70's so with that mileage you were overdue.

Happy Trails.

Is this something all full injected engines have, or just diesel? you are right, 170,000 is a pretty good run for a part nowdays.

John, these injection pumps are just a diesel thing. Its the mechanical system that times and delivers fuel as opposed to an electronic system on gas engines. They are very expensive! I had a 91' IDI Non turbo 7.3 and and the injection pump went up. Think it was around $650 for a rebuilt with a $350 core!

Glad your fiasco ended finally Danny. Heck of an ordeal!

Did they relocate the injection pump driver when they put the new pump on? I'm not saying that was the problem, as I haven't seen the truck, but my injection shop told me (I was looking at a used truck with the 6.5) that alot of the injector pump problems are actually the failure of the electronic injector pump driver. It is mounted directly to the injector pump, and fails due to the high temperatures of being in the V of the engine. There are kits to relocate the driver away from the pump, and add a heat sink, which eliminates alot of failures. If I had a 6.5L in a truck I was going to keep, I would probably put one on.

See info here. - No endorsement implied, as I've never installed one.

:my2cents:

THanks for the input Jacob and you are correct with your thoughts. Someone told us about the driver right after we got the truck and we went out and bought the kit and relocated it as you mentioned. THe shop did replace that first as we thought it might be the problem but did not fix it and they could not return part because it was an electronic part. We will be replacing the turbo this week with a good used one we had found. OUrs had been acting up for some time but is unrelated to current issue.

Danny; I'm thinking all in all you came out of the mess pretty fairly. I do know on the Ford 6.9 & 7.3 you're due for a pump rebuild in the 70's so with that mileage you were overdue.

Happy Trails.

Now I'm nervous - I've got 270,000+ on my 7.3, and as far as I know, the pump has never been touched. :hide:

Back