another procar hunt underway

With too much left unturned last trip, I embarked yesterday on another ferreting excursion. This one will take me to a couple of places recently visited (where not enough time was spent) and many more out of the way old, forgotten about, or closed junkyards through 3 states in the Southwest. Of course I gyrate to those heavy in Cadillac...and am always keeping an eagle eye open for others too.

So if there is a part you're looking for, email me (preferably with a phone number). Emails go to my phone - and I like the chances of having cell service over internet.

Lined up a few different old hearses to see, natch. ;)

I hope your going to Aztec again. If your there over the week-end check on the 64 limo.

fenders, fenders, fenders...

Stop by AZ for your finders fee, and a soda pop

As this '61 has plans to leave soon (becoming metal donor for a different year coach), I snapped at an education opportunity: learning how to remove Superior corner glass!

dsc03153a.jpg

Rubber has rock solid. Most time consuming part was cutting it away. After removing the outer eyebrow, I realized that the window is taken in/out from the inside.

3 of 4 inner moldings came off easily enough. The fourth, or vertical molding next to rear loading door, didn't budge. (Actually, neither did!) Each is held on by game playing, mind-warping screws. I let them be. There are 3 tabs secured by small screws holding the glass in place - one above and two below. Taking them off provided *just* enough room to finagle them out around the remaining inner moldings. Make sure those outer eyebrows are off for that needed tinge of additional space though.

Since the decorative side plates were going to be used either, I saved 'em. Interesting factoid here:

dsc03156x.jpg

They were cast directionally BACKWARDS. Only fit the coach one way, yet left backside is cast R.H. and vise versa. Wonky.

dsc03157w.jpg

I didn't ask prices. It was more important to keep them from being scrapped. Also kept this from being disposed of:

dsc03129p.jpg

Really nice shape. I have a tough time seeing one-year-only parts misplaced forever.

Yes, I realize removal tips should have been in the tech forum. Going to keep little updates together on this trip here however, mainly thanks to McD's Wi-Fi...

You guys are going to flip over the next update!

There are rare procars and there are RARE procars>>>>>

dsc03304fi.jpg

Still at the ORIGINAL funeral home. Used for services up until a couple years ago.

dsc03311l.jpg

What an incredible survivor! Repainted once (had to really scrutinize to even figure that out) and otherwise untouched all original. Garaged its entire life. Nary a pinhead of surface rust anywhere, underside included. Amazing Olds.

I removed nameplates out of respect for the PCS member who told me about it. After all, he tried buying this back in like '84...ha.

dsc03309c.jpg

dsc03312x.jpg

Hopefully how 'clean' this Comet truly is comes through the accumulated dust.

dsc03305a.jpg

Couldn't find even the slightest rock peck on any trim. Unrestored. Unreal.

dsc03334w.jpg

dsc03323q.jpg

Yes, that is 50,671.5 original miles.

dsc03335g.jpg

Original interior perfectly matches the rest of the coach's condition.

dsc03320f.jpg

dsc03313z.jpg

Removable rack and jump seats. Too cool '59 combination!

dsc03327b.jpg

We'll leave this one on a money shot:

dsc03326h.jpg

How late a Comet is this? Anyone tell if it is near the end (going off VIN) before CB formed?

When I returned to the FD's office thanking him for allowing photographs, I asked when it was repainted. Color drained from his face, he replied asking me if it was that obvious. On the contrary, paint has held up quite well. Turns out, their fleet changed colors in '70. It was originally black over white.

'59 Comet in NM

Trust me, your friend is not the only one that's tried to buy this car! It was the last coach purchased by the current owner's grandfather. I stop by and pet it every few years just to make sure it's still there.

That's an unreal unit and the picture of the skeleton rack needs to be saved to help those who havven't seen one.

So it's unavailable at ANY price?

David, the FD graciously gave me quality alone time for photos. Even dirty and backed into the garage I am quite grateful. It wasn't my place to ask about selling. He didn't mention one way or the other.

CB formed in the 60 model year. so with out a date of manufactures it would be hard to say when this one was built it could have been as early as jun 58 are as late as may 59. the GM tag will tell you when thy built the car but the cb tag doesn't say when it was converted. they were a number of cases were the home would buy the car and deliver it to the plant to be converted.
so they could be a long delay between the time frames. but she is safe were it is and waiting I hope for some that will continue the preservation of this indicator car.

Today a mountain was crossed to check this '61 Eureka 3-way out for PCSer Nicholas Yassan:

61eureka5b.jpg

Unfortunately, info was not current and the coach sold 3 months ago. Went for a paltry $900 to someone named John in Australia! Nick is understandably grief stricken... (Picture borrowed from web.)

Not wanting a completely wasted day, I managed some small needed parts as to not leave empty handed. The current owner bought the property for the land. He doesn't care about the cars and prefers to sell them whole, not dealing with parts. Well, when he said the 'muncher' was returning next week - I sprang to action hashing out larger parts prices quickly!

dsc03413a.jpg

Yes, this is going on a hearse. Above average (or driver quality) chrome; undamaged, at a very good price. Other Cads besides this '59 Fleetwood include '55 Fleetwood, '56 CDV, '56 SDV, '60 SDV, '61 SDV (x2), '64 SDV (x2), and numerous '65-67. There was another hearse here - a '55 (alleged year; unseen yet coach confirmed by 3rd party), which also went to the same person in Australia.

I did ask about any other vintage hearses/ambulances in the area. The reward? Name & (work) number of a person with a Pontiac ambulance, about 35 miles north. Don't know year and will follow up. Time constraints (combined with opposite direction) may cause me to miss seeing it sadly. We'll see.

What a shame to have all that awsome clean iron just crushed. Good thing i dont live closer or my back yard would look like that. I would have to save them!

Exhausted. You can thank sketchy Wi-Fi @ a closed McD's for this brief update.

The Pontiac ambulance is actually a '70 combination. I couldn't make time to view but pictures have been promised by the owner.

Caught 1000 miles from home, things are made to work:

dsc03444x.jpg

In an amazing twist, tracked the '61 Eureka 3-way down 15 miles away. It hasn't left yet for Australia:

dsc03461x.jpg

Sitting 2 cars away? '55 Superior 3-way also purchased from same place, also awaiting overseas shipment:

dsc03451z.jpg

Many many more pictures of these two and a barely believable back story soon.

Oh yeah, here's the '60 MM that I purchased last month:

dsc03514a.jpg

Had to stop in and see it for the first time. It is going to have work done in Dallas soon before heading to the new owner in Canada.

Only 215 more miles to drive in the next 7 hours... Sweet! I may be able to get a little nap in before another parts-pulling packed day's activities.

What part of Canada is the '60 going too ?

I hope you are not talking about a sore back or something like that.
I know all to well about having a sore back.

Get some rest and drive safe !
Darren

Terrific pictures and story Atti! That '59 Comet Oldsmobile reminds me of the '59 Super 88 Scenicoupe (I think that's the correct term) my mother had when I was growing up. I think my dad got it in 1960 and we had it until an underhood fire returning from the beach in 1973 ended our time with it. In your engine room photo, where is the master cylinder/power brake booster on that car?

Darren, Vancouver I believe.

Picking up where left off...

The place where the '61 Eureka originally sat (and where I was trying to remove parts like a madman before leaving the area as the crusher was coming) didn't have a working wrecker or forklift. Nothing on the property to lift cars with! I needed a couple cars picked up. After all, the '59 rear bumper and a couple gas pedals were begging to go home with me.

So the property owner started calling mechanics to get his old wrecker running. One could make it out the following day, late morning/early afternoon. I had plans to be several hundred miles away by daybreak as a couple other old yards were already lined up. Argh! Tough call.

I decided to remove simpler items until losing daylight, grab a hotel room, then return in the morning. The prices were too good to pass on the opportunity.

Mechanic (Dave) didn't show until afternoon. Thinking of my timeline and having to drive another 480 miles by 8am the following day, I offered to pay the mechanic (who had air tools on his truck) to help me remove parts after the wrecker was running.

This is where the universe started to align.

Dave likes old cars. He has about 95 on his property at 33 years of age - including 2 old hearses. The 2 hearses are being stored for someone else. That person turned out to be John - the Aussie previously mentioned!

Incredible stroke of luck. Even more amazing? John landed in town just the previous night! John visits friends in the area once a year for 2 weeks; this being the 5 year. What are the odds?!?!? Unreal.

Finish up business, retrieve John, head to Dave's property 15 miles away. John loves hearses and these 2 make 6 in his collection. Yes, John bought the '55 as well. (In fact, he's the one pictured above standing next to the 3-way.) The '55 Superior he will not part with. The '61 Eureka? Well...maybe.

Seems John wasn't as keen on the '61 until stumbling across a uship ad (placed by Nick) looking for transport on it to Chicago. At that point, not wanting to lose out, John bought it. Pretty funny honestly for anyone not named Nick - who feels jilted. I put Nick on the phone with John while there. Time will tell if he ends up letting the '61 Eureka go.

Verbose narrative over; pictures commencing.

dsc03472t.jpg

dsc03459s.jpg

dsc03460d.jpg

Hood removed to get it running easier. Pretty high winds coming over the mountain where it sits at times. Dave didn't want to take any chances.

dsc03463c.jpg

Really is a super solid restorable coach. Interior didn't survive well. 3-way limo style didn't seem to be popular in the US (Mexico and the Philippines, yes) given how few survive here. Front bumper wouldn't be hard to find. A table though? Eesh. How long has Nick been looking for one again..?

Back