'88 Superior Buick In Lincoln, NE

Far from an "experiment" by any measure. These full-size, commercial glass post-Flxible Buicks - originally introduced by Eureka in 1981, were exceedingly popular within the professional vehicle industry for years. Based on an altered station wagon, and looking like wagons, the Superior/S&S versions sold in greater numbers that did those by Eureka (the originator of the modern commercial glass Buick funeral coaches) whose vehicles were based on sedans - as were their Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, and Chevrolet offerings. This was mainly because the Superior/S&S wagon-based clones were less costly. No, these vehicles were not an experiment. The Superior/S&S as well as the Eureka-Buicks sold very well indeed and successfully filled the market requirement for professionally designed, engineered and constructed funeral cars as a price significantly below that of the contemporary Cadillac-based motor equipment.

They must have been good as not a lot made it to the used car market they wore out in service. I had a chance to by one when i picked up my 86 limo. He had that one and a 75 caddy. I left them booth.

What I remember from this era of funeral service (started working in the business in 1981) was a big debate of the cost factor for a Superior or S & S Cadillac... so some funeral directors were opting for a Superior Buick or Chevrolet, a Collins, or a Eureka, to have a nice new car in the driveway, but not with the expense of Superior or S & S Cadillac offerings.
Think of what this '88 Superior Buick was probably replacing, a 1967 Superior that the fd was tired of.
I look at my 1990 Superior Chevrolet and am still amazed - they did commercial glass on it...

"I look at my 1990 Superior Chevrolet and am still amazed - they did commercial glass on it..."

Kent - Those were indeed handsome cars and vehicles that represented real value for the buyer. Eureka was the pioneer in producing full commercial glass cars after the demise of the commercial chassis/cowls by Cadillac. The Eureka Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Pontiac and Oldsmobile coaches all used those commercial components (as well as the windshields) but were built using beefed-up sedans as the base vehicles. The Eureka-Chevrolets were ground-breakers in offering value-packed, fully commercial professional cars as alternatives to the more costly Cadillac, Buick or Oldsmobile-based equipment and quickly became popular. They were so popular that as th years progressed, Eureka expanded the Chevrolet product range with more up-scale offerings. About two years later, Superior aped Eureka by introducing a Chevrolet-based model with commercial glass but, again based on a station wagon. And from the rear, all of the Superior/S&S Buicks and the Superior Chevrolets looked like what they were - stretched station wagons. With all their models at that time (early to mid-Eighties) it took the boys in Lima quite awhile to figure out how Eureka was building commercial glass cars, especially Cadillacs. without using a commercial chassis - which was going to be discontinued at the end of 1984 anyway. Once they caught on, they began offering commercial glass versions of the Cadillac, Buick and Chevrolet as well. This was an era of intense and often viscous competition.

Back