today

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
we did something I hope to never do again. set the valve lash on the 53. I had one loose one you could hear after we did the valve job on it. what I did not know was I had 3 tight ones also. so we set them for what the majority of the measured out to knowing I was doing it wrong. they should beset warm at 12. but we are a long way fro firing it back up right now and I want to get things painted and hung on. i get the plating back we can get the dash back together. hope to have the inner fenders and the radiator support back in place by then. then we can start it up and see if I did OK

Attachments

• IMG_8497.jpg
    IMG_8497.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_8498.jpg
    IMG_8498.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 204
If you set them with a feeler gauges a few thousands over the setting, when the engine gets hot, you are usually on track. As the engine comes up to temperature, the metal expands. Sometimes the book will give you both a cold and hot setting. Intakes and exhaust valve settings are not the same on many engines. This is why you need the factory service manual.

Got one it is 12 warm for both on this one. The majority were a Snug 13 so i picked that. I at least got the loose one.

Back