Federal 66L

What part of this description isn't clear?

Steve,
The description IS clear....to me and more then likely to other folks also.....

As I stated in my post I am asking for a picture... to help the gentleman that I met be able to identify it a bit more......

I was at Costco this morning filling up the 72,a lady came up and said that her father insisted
on her turning around so he could get a better look at the ambulance.......she said he has been a fan of emergency vehicles since he was a driver in the 30'and 40's for a number of differet funeral homes/ambulance services....she advised me that he has a "whole room" full of emergency lights and sirens dating from the 30's to the early 80's....however at this point he is getting forgetful and has a hard time seeing well...(he is 92)...so I thought I would try to get a picture of a mount for him........:)

Finding a 66-L won't be too difficult; finding the correct Superior mounting bracket (used from '65-'70) may present a challenge.

Is this mount that you refer to a one piece cast aluminum mount, or is it 2 pieces that are adjustable? I have searched this whole thread looking for a description of the mount by you, but I haven't found it. You posted some pictures, but they are not close up of the siren mount, so they don't help to identify what is needed, just shows the siren mounted.

Is it 2, 3, or 4 bolt mounting to the roof? Is it adjustable or fixed? Casted aluminum or brass? This will help to narrow down the field of possibilities.

Thank you,Paul !

Eagerly awaiting the resulting picture from your expedition into the dark abyss (your garage) !!!! :)

The 2 piece mount that Ed posted the picture of is the one that I have. Without a better description of what is needed, we are chasing feathers in the wind.

This was a two-piece bracket with a through bolt that allowed the siren (or speakers) to be adjusted to a horizontal position on a curved roof. The bracket attached to the roof with two bolts.

I'm not near home and any brochures, so maybe someone else that is can share better photos from the options page in a Superior brochure from this period. For now, here are a few photos taken from this site:

Although the Superior mounting brackets under the motor sirens aren't very visible in these photos, they are the same as the ones shown under under the siren speakers at the bottom of the post.

Superior must have had a ton of these made, as they showed up on '71 and even some '72 model ambulances.

Also what siren/light combination can I use on the 70 that does NOT require a specific mount,if I am unable to locate above ??

The only roof mounted (over the driver's compartment) Federal siren on a '65-'70 Superior that didn't use a Superior mounting bracket was a Q2.

Ok think I have it now a number of pictures I have garbed from mostly e-bay adds are of course miss or not labeled correctly. most as to the siren they came off from not the car. if the pictures sent me from you to Paule is correct them this is the superior mount in question. all it would be used on is superiors. so now the question is it made by federal or superior. I would guess superior.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 75
  • attachment1.jpg
    attachment1.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 77
  • attatcment federal #G-69r mount superior.jpg
    attatcment federal #G-69r mount superior.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 75
Ok think I have it now a number of pictures I have garbed from mostly e-bay adds are of course miss or not labeled correctly. most as to the siren they came off from not the car. if the pictures sent me from you to Paule is correct them this is the superior mount in question. all it would be used on is superiors. so now the question is it made by federal or superior. I would guess superior.

Yes, sir - that's it.

They were made by (or supplied to) Superior.

Thank you

Thank you all for the information and research !!!:applause:

I will now arm myself with the picture Ed posted and see if I can find anything that resembles that mount....

Now I see why most 65-70's you see have either a B&M or a Q.....If I cannot locate the bracket I think I will maybe go with a B&M......

Again thank you !!!

Last edited:
Back