Crown Coach Company

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
Amazon just announced a pre publication release sale of the new Crown Coach Company book. Crown Coach Corp.: School Buses, Fire Trucks and Custom Coaches will be released on February 15, 2011. You can pre-order yours at a savings of $12.52 by following the link below. It is available in our Amazon store. Click here for this new book...
List Price:$34.95 Price: $22.43 You Save:$12.52 (36%)

Attachments

• crown.jpg
    crown.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 581
Crown Coach Book

I highly recommend this book, as I've known the author, Louk Markham, for nearly 20 years. His studying Crown Coach goes back many years, and his original factory photo collection is spectacular.

I wonder if he will have a photo of the 1971 40 foot Navy convertible bus/ambulance, which is pictured in Walt's book. Now there's a Navy rig with a big serial tag on it somewhere! It was last seen in the Galveston area about 10 years ago.

Crown also did some 3 foot stretches on Auburn chassis for L.A. Recieving Hospital in 1936. Factory photos also show several panel van ambulances on Ford and Dodge chassis. I have a copy of a photo of a two '37 to '40 International panel vans converted to a Receiving Hospital type rig, but I'm not sure if Crown did the work. Who did the Studebaker Receiving Hospital ambulances and LAPD paddy wagons in the '20s is not known, but one or two of the paddy wagons have survived.

would this be a crown conversion then. this is one of g units but I have it labeled pierce arrow.

Attachments

• 1934 g-11 la g unit piercearow.jpg
    1934 g-11 la g unit piercearow.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,004
Wonder if it will have any Crown rigs that some of us are familar with in it?

Although I haven't seen the book yet... it is supposed to have the 1958 Crown "Firecoach" Bus in it, that is ONE of only ONE ever built by CROWN for the Los Angeles County Fire Department. It was "found" by Tom Shafer in Wrecking Yard in Mojave, CA., after a Mexican Mariachi Band had been using it for a "Tour Bus" with 1/2 of seats missing and the rest filled with mattreses. They left it abandoned on a state highway, it was then towed in and lien saled by the wrecking yard who sold it to PCS'ers Hewy & Ruth Wick. I bought it from H&W..... fully restored it and then after a couple of years donated it to the Crown Firecoach Enthusiasts who use it on regualr basis for conventions and a shuttle bus to fire events around Southern Califiornia. It is VERY short (24 passengers) with a pancake 590 C.I. Hall-Scott Motor built on a fire engine chassis with a fire engine front end complete with red lights and a refurbished (Original) B&M Siren courtesy of Kevin O'Connell. (*) As a footnote.... the legendary late James O. Page (AKA Father of Paramedics, JEMS Magazine etc) and long time PCS Member once drove this bus as a beginning Engineer with LAC. MM www.crownfirecoach.org

Back