1950 Cadillac Ambulance

http://swmi.craigslist.org/cto/3701159377.html
1950 Cadillac Ambulance , No drive train , fairly solid needs some front floor work which are flat panels & rocker work both panels can be bought new if you don't want to make them . Easy restoration project . I have grille & bumpers & original siren .Would make a killer street rod , that would be different from everything else that showed up at the show , plus you could tail gate out of it . $4500 obo Will consider partial or equal trades on 57-60 Dodge & Plymouth 2dr ,4dr or station wagons .

A little pricey but hey these getting any easier to find?

combo

i happen to know someone with a 472 and a turbo 400. all the goodies too. ac comp. alt. p/s pump etc. block hugger headers and motor mounts and away you go. just wishing ...

Rusty combination missing engine and transmission.... $2000-$2500 should be the top end. Apparently he is calling it an ambulance simply because of its current color.

It is only worth what a willing buyer and a motivated seller can agree on. In my case, I don't see this as being worth more than $1000, because of the missing drive train. If I had a drive train, or I had to have this particular make and model, then I might pay more. What ever you think that you can make it whole for, think again, because in todays parts market, everything is gold to the sellers. Some driving cars might be worth more as parts cars than they are as whole cars.

I will have to agree with Paul on this. I just picked up a 1953 Superior that is 98% complete for $2300. If it was missing the running gear I probably would have passed on it even though I have been looking for an pre 55 for many years. It's much easier to fix "broken" things than to replace "missing" things. Complete running assemblies for this era of cars are not cheap and to the person that thinks of dropping newer power plant in, good luck! I wish you the best!

Most people that "try" to up convert to the newer big block gear end up stuck since there is a ton of cutting and fabrication involved. I have owned one converted car and seen a few others, all had issues such as parts rubbing the body, engine sitting to high and breaks U joints and the infamous motor mount shearers. The last is the most common monster when a coach is up converted due to the weight and amount of grab room available for fabricated mounts.

If the car can be obtained for $800-$1000 it would be a good project factoring you have a cheap source for interior work. As in running gear, use the same that was there if you can, if not, you can get away with a Chevy 350 paired with a 2 speed power glide. The smaller combination does fit well and has enough power to make the coach respond appropriately.

I will have to agree with Paul on this. I just picked up a 1953 Superior that is 98% complete for $2300. If it was missing the running gear I probably would have passed on it even though I have been looking for an pre 55 for many years. It's much easier to fix "broken" things than to replace "missing" things. Complete running assemblies for this era of cars are not cheap and to the person that thinks of dropping newer power plant in, good luck! I wish you the best!

Most people that "try" to up convert to the newer big block gear end up stuck since there is a ton of cutting and fabrication involved. I have owned one converted car and seen a few others, all had issues such as parts rubbing the body, engine sitting to high and breaks U joints and the infamous motor mount shearers. The last is the most common monster when a coach is up converted due to the weight and amount of grab room available for fabricated mounts.

If the car can be obtained for $800-$1000 it would be a good project factoring you have a cheap source for interior work. As in running gear, use the same that was there if you can, if not, you can get away with a Chevy 350 paired with a 2 speed power glide. The smaller combination does fit well and has enough power to make the coach respond appropriately.

It is a pain in the ass but it can be done.. I have a Buick 455 and a t400 in my 55 cad. The biggest issue i had was over heating.. I ended up cutting out the radiator support to put a bigger radiator in it and pull it forwards a few inches.. This enabled enough room to use a mechanical fan. ( there was not enough room to use it before ) it had a electric fan in front of the radiator and a small one in back of the grill and it still could not idle long.. once we were able to put the mechanical fan back in end of issue.. I also used a remote oil filter as the stock one fit dangerosly close to the frame from the convertion.. She can burn rubber , and i have not had any other issues since.. its been 3 years. since the bugs were weeded out. But it took 5 years of on and off tinkering with to get it that way. You are right,, it is a huge pain and i dont recommend getting involved in it unless you really like jigsaw puzzles .

Last edited:
Back