Siren ID Help

Josh Gentry

PCS Member
A friend of mine has this siren that his grand-father had just sitting in his barn. He sent me a pic of it this morning, asking me if i know what it is. I don't, so does anyone know? Thanks for your help.:thankyou2:

Josh

Attachments

• siren.jpg
    siren.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 315
Paul's not being funny. I agree with him. That looks like one of the old 12 volt mechanical burglar alarm sirens that used to be for sale in the JC Whitney catalogs.

Jon

Paul's not being funny. I agree with him. That looks like one of the old 12 volt mechanical burglar alarm sirens that used to be for sale in the JC Whitney catalogs.

Jon
Oh. Sorry paul.:eek: So about how old would it be? Over the phone it doesn't sound much different than my 28. Thanks for your help Paul and Jon.

Josh

Last edited:
Oh. Sorry paul.:eek: So about how old would it be? Over the phone it doesn't sound much different than my 28. Thanks for your help Paul and Jon.

Josh

It's very much a different siren, with only about 1/3-2/3 of the volume of a #28. The #28 is a heavy-duty model, while these burglar alarm sirens are inexpensive and cheaply made.

id this siren

Josh,
I have the same siren in my barn. That is what was in the 61 for many years. Another reason I think my 61 saw more funeral duty than ambulance duty. I now have a Federal 28. The 28 is louder than your barn find.
Mike

NAPA sold them also. they use a heater blower motor. the interesting thing with them is they are designed to go off when the relay is grounded. then you have to open the power wire to shut them off. they had a key switch for that and the door switches to set it off.

Thanks guys. So about how old is it? He also dug a osolating beacon, and a 6-volt siren out of the barn to, whitch I'm hoping he will turn lose of pretty cheap sence he doesn't really have a interest in any of it other than thinking they look cool, and me showing a interest in it.

Josh

The siren was made by Universal Security Instruments. It was sold as part of a kit that included a key-operated on/off switch and four door jamb switches. As others have already stated, the kit was sold by many retailers including Pep Boys and Western Auto, but it was J.C. Whitney that sold the most. This one is from the late 60's to early 70's. Later versions had the bell horn integrally die cast with the stator. The whole kit was less than $40.00 and the siren could be purchased separately (minus the relay) for $23.00.

It's amazing how many of these things show up on eBay listed as "Old Fire Truck Siren"'!

Kevin is absolutely correct. It is annoying how many gomers there are out there who think that these are "real fire truck and police sirens". I spend a lot of time explaining to these sellers what they truly are, but sad to say, most just ignore me and leave the ads the way they are. I just keep thinking for one of the famous quotes from Ron White. "YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID."
John Dorgan

The siren was made by Universal Security Instruments. It was sold as part of a kit that included a key-operated on/off switch and four door jamb switches. As others have already stated, the kit was sold by many retailers including Pep Boys and Western Auto, but it was J.C. Whitney that sold the most. This one is from the late 60's to early 70's. Later versions had the bell horn integrally die cast with the stator. The whole kit was less than $40.00 and the siren could be purchased separately (minus the relay) for $23.00.

It's amazing how many of these things show up on eBay listed as "Old Fire Truck Siren"'!

Back