rust

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
first never buy a 22 year old pick up that spent it life in OHIO. but if you favorite pro car has a few of these problems. here is a hint for dealing with rust.

in this case we had to pull to box off to get at the fuel tank to asses some of the problems with steel lines and salt plus water. in doing so we have broken off one of the spot welded nuts in a blind hole. now what first we cut the head off the bolt grade 8 free rolling but if came off with the muffler cut off tool. pulled the box and now we are ready to go back on. need that welded in nut. we were able to fish it out with the magnet and now we need to get it off. we ground two flat spots in the remaining bolt to hold it in the vise. going up is normal better then down s cut the stub end off flush . clamped it in the vice and with my trusty assistant stand at the ready heated one flat cherry red. then he removed the nut when it was hot. put a stud into it and marked the box support were we needed the nut. cut the square hole into the the support fit the nut flush and welded it back in. here are the pictures

Attachments

• IMG_4181.jpg
    IMG_4181.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_4182.jpg
    IMG_4182.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_4183.jpg
    IMG_4183.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4184.jpg
    IMG_4184.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4186.jpg
    IMG_4186.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_4188.jpg
    IMG_4188.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 113
For people like me-

"Don't try this a home" for those like me- because I wouldn't know where to begin. Not to mention the tools and knowledge. Looking forward to more education from Ed!

Back