"Nightwatch"

Some of you may have seen the recent TV show on A&E Network "Nightwatch". This is a show where the cameras ride along with New Orleans Police, Fire, and EMS crews on runs they make over night.

I do like the show in that they don't show *just* the big dramatic rescues and fires, but often show more routine calls, particularly for EMS (drunks, sick kids, etc.) and show the medics doing more than just being *heroic* - the show shows the medics just being caring, and helping people in simple ways. That's more of what we really do in EMS.

I took my '60 Flxible Buick ambulance to the "EMS Today" conference in Baltimore last week. Special guests were the EMS cast members from "Nightwatch" (not actors, they are real paramedics and EMTs). They were signing autographs and taking pictures, usual stuff. The booth they were in, Braun Ambulance, was right across from the National EMS Museum booth where my ambulance was displayed. So naturrrrrrrally, we got the opportunity to meet the cast, and to take good pics of the cast with my ambulance. Also, one of the actual ambulances featured in the show was on display.

I will say, having met them, they are all very nice and down to earth. Very friendly and welcoming. They are obviously not used to their new "fame", and were either surprised by how many people did know who they were, or by how many people did not (not everyone has watched the show, which gets little advertising on a less-popular cable network).

It was interesting that, in recent years, actor Randolph Mantooth from "Emergency!" was at the conference - now it's the cast of "Nightwatch". And to the young folks, the vehicle of interest is not LA County "Squad 51", it's New Orleans "EMS 3232". Oh, times change.

From the show: Titus, Nick, Keeley, Holly, and Dan. And Holly in the driver's seat.

Attachments

• IMG_2714 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2714 - Copy.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 3,396
  • IMG_2717 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2717 - Copy.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 2,097
nice to see they used real people in the show. I have often said that your only a Hero if the teenager your trying to extricate from they own foolishness is the mayor's son and he lives. no one cares how hard you work extending the life of the homeless vet at 2AM

Back