Which 11 of you need a ride?

Joke. Did stumble across this today however in a private yard in central TX:

l_8b43bb6306514c12aa347aac3a128e18.jpg

l_5458d4b3bf704e9ba8f76bfd9fe7dcd1.jpg

l_f82b5efdbdaf4c6a8917756cf296e7b4.jpg

l_cd61d258f8444d7c81c4bb77a059419d.jpg

Can't recall last time I've personally seen one. What struck me immediately? No rust. It *really* is nice to not live in the Midwest anymore...

Did I mention private? What I meant was PRIVATE! ;)

This after driving along a private 'street' for a bit. Total distance, 2 miles:

l_6d7b5ff2e31d46ec912d29498413cb77.jpg

My lowered turbo brick had a difficult time with ground clearance, hence stagger.

Also neat tucked back in the brush? '53 S&S:

l_483e46936e36492caf47127aef41e0fc.jpg

And this '61 limo:

l_a8e94fff90ee4f2bb0399e561cef4ce5.jpg

The '58 parts car I went to see had a broken bumper end and twisted rear bumper - so the quest continues. Walked away empty but it sure was fun hiking through chest high grass avoiding wasps and rattlesnakes! Good day.

Also snapped one of the most bizarre motorhomes I've seen. Didn't know if it was appropriate to put up here. Oh - none of the cars pictured are for sale either.

........................Also snapped one of the most bizarre motorhomes I've seen. Didn't know if it was appropriate to put up here. Oh - none of the cars pictured are for sale either.

Of course it is........ we enjoy seeing all types of cars occassionally...

Fair enough. Thanks Paul. All too often stuff gets off topic here. ;)

l_1eb9f8b7ea2a4ea7a5a008b48a9a772a.jpg

Owner claims 4 remain of the 16 made. Seriously lavish inside - all teak and marble. His uncle won it in a poker hand in 1976, less than 2 years old. (Okay, his uncle won a plane actually, then drunken with another friend tried to FLY his new acquisition. Neither had any experience. They crashed it taxiing. Then he traded the plane for this Daystar all in the same night!) Unreal. Bet it's worth more than the plane would be 33 years later...

l_0d978c8a3dbf44b88a7b17669d3a8e83.jpg

The headlight assemblies look those that were on a 1950 SUPERIOR School Bus that I rode on as a kid in New York in the early 1960's

that man ever wants to sell that Checker I would love to have it. there is one more AQC up in Main on e-bay right now. I would like to have but a checker is way more cool. just got something for those old airport limos.

Baystar camper RV

I think the Baystar motorhome is newer than the 50 Superior bus. The headlight housings are holding stacked headlights. Most makers did not go to quad headlights until the late 50s.
Mike

I like

I like the Checker too. But if that series 75 Cadillac limo was for sale...
I hate that the drivers door window is down. More inviting for critters to get in.
Mike
61 MM

3/24 update!

Between scheduling, weather, and ground conditions - the owner and I finally met up today at this tucked away property. He recently scrapped about 30 "non-collector cars" (including a '61 Caddy that had been T-boned) that netted over $10k as prices are high. The bulk of what remains he is willing to sell complete units or part out. There are no '59s or '60s. He won't sell any '61 or '65 Caddy stuff either as those are his two preferred years of collecting. Motorhome and '53 S&S are not for sale.

'Twas raining, lighting was poor, so not many pics today. (Sure was fun tooling around in a '47 Jeep through the muddy acreage though.) I'll head back later this week when it dries out for a day of inventory. There are a couple dozen '60s Caddies, a few from the '50s, a few more from the '70s, and a bunch of other old tin. So in the meantime, if you need Caddy parts, shoot a PM for a list I'll take with me next trip.

Should be able to cover John's missing '50-'53 clutch operating cross-shaft and related bits.

Turns out the Checker belongs to a friend who has it stashed here because of size. Property owner states that he hasn't had any money to do anything with it and a fair offer would probably take it. Which one of you wants that monster???

Oh, and Paul, I have you covered - which moldings do you need? :D

dsc08384.jpg

dsc08386y.jpg

Prices seem pretty decent. Examples: Rust free hood/fender/front door from a '54-'55 Caddy for $50-125/each. Running rust free '67(?) Dodge A100 Sportsman asking $950 with clear title.

Checker Car Club of America

I bet the Checker Car Club of America would like to know about your "find" too.... looks umolested? MM
checkercarclub.org

it's a interesting car but look at things. sitting in the tx sun facing one direction for how long. you can see were water (condensation) has gotten inside the ashtrays and behind the glove box are rusty. one trip around the block and the seat cover would most likely be gone from under underneath you and at a grand each to recover, plus the door pads . you can see the trim on the kick panel is curled up and pictures lie. don't get me wrong it's a good find and I would love to have it. in spite of any mechanical issues it may or may not have that are yet to be understood. maybe someone with a lot deeper pockets then me can get it. but I'll stand on my offer.

same property - so same thread

Couple builders should probably remain intact and passed along whole; everything else is a parts vehicle. I'm headed there again tomorrow to brave rattles, wasps, giant thorns, and mud. PM needs referencing a specific picture (not year!) so I don't have to keep going back and forth wasting time trying to figure out what you're talking about.

dsc08623b.jpg

dsc08621a.jpg

dsc08611l.jpg

dsc08593.jpg

Back