Strange Federal Q siren base

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
I found a Federal Siren marked Q2BS at Carlisle this spring, and what makes this one strange is that there is no rear cover on the siren, and it does have a rear band cover with a data plate on it that reads Q2BS... I know that what the Q2 is, and the the B refers to it having a brake. I have never seen one marked with the "S" designation. Also the mounting base is different than any others that I have ever encountered. I am thinking that this has to be an early siren, since it has a full screen behind the "F" on the front cover...

Attachments

• MVC-154F.JPG
    MVC-154F.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 3,726
  • MVC-172F.JPG
    MVC-172F.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,056
  • MVC-171F.jpg
    MVC-171F.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,474
Could have been mounted on a Seagrave or Crown fire truck where only the rotor and grill showed through the nose of the truck.

my thought to on that. as if it set in thee would be no need for the rear cover. the flat mount sounds like a fire truck to.

As Joe said, it's a post-1981 base with a Prestolite motor. It could have been made from 1981 to 1995. Early Qs had the cutout behind the logo. That changed in 1981 also. I have no idea what the "S" means, but if it's on a nameplate attached to the brush cover the siren is definitely for semi-flush mounting.

Back