1959 M&M Windsheild gap

This is a repost of an earlier post.

Hi!
Long story short...
I'm trying to replace the windsheild gasket on my 1959 M&M landau hearse. When I got the car the gasket was in bad shape and there was a gap of about 1/2 to 3/4 an inch between the rear bottom corners of the windshield and the frame. The previous owners filled this with silicone and other caulks.

Attempting to install the windshield, properly following the instructions, I'm having trouble getting the windshield far enough in to cover this gap. The gasket seems to be properly seated all along it's length except for those bottom corners.

Here's a pic of the problem.

My question is, for anyone familiar with this era M&M
hearse, is this possibly normal?
Was there this big of a gap?
Or am I installing the winshield improperly. Thanks!
JD

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

try this one more time. you picked a difficult windshield to try for a first one. these 59 60 glass was a bear cat. looking at your picture (which if you take any more like this use the micro setting and it will come out sharp). you haven't got the glass set on the bottom. it need to go back the with of the grommet. use a tool like a cotter key puller to hook the rubber in place. it surprising how little it takes to hold it off. if you in on the top and the the top corners are set then, start at the lower rear corner either side and hook the flap towards you. you will find a place as you work around were the grommet is folded over or riding on the lip. you may have to work both sides as they tend to curl under for the out side to. pat the glass down to settle it in the grove. work your way across. pat and hook pat and hook. it will move back as the glass sets in the grove. you may have to go around over the top also to get it in but it can be done. a little lube helps if you don't have anything else wd-40 is a good one that will clean up easily. we would use jo-go i the shop on these. the rope trick will work I have seen it done a few times . I never got on to it myself I always use the hook. braking the upper corners on these was the trouble most had . good luck

To add to what Ed has said, the rubber that is presently available isn't an exact match for the original, and doesn't go in as easily as the original. I had the same problem with a reproduction rubber on my Corvair. You could get the glass in, and get the rubber seated, but the rubber just didn't fit the opening quite right. This leads to a multiple of problems from a leaking windshield to a glass that looks like it wants to pop out. It might just be worth the small cost to have a glass installer do this job for you, since it takes experience to get it right, and the chance of breaking the glass becomes greater with inexperiance...

setting the glass

Like ED said you need to use plenty of lube. At IH we used glycerin. Dawn dish washing soap works well too. Anything that will not dry up before you get the job done. DO NOT get in a hurry. BE patient while working on this. You do not want to tear the rubber. I have always used the string (wire) in the rubber groove to pull the lip of the rubber over the metal flange in the window opening. Do not pry on the glass. Set it in the rubber and only work on the rubber surface.
Good luck,
Mike

Well, I took your advice and had a pro take a crack at it.
They got it about as far as I did!
I'll try the cotter key puller idea, or maybe take it to another glass shop?
Thanks for your help!
JD

Back