Fleet shots

It's Miller time...

...times four, that is.

The McPeters fleet in about 1950 included these 1946, 1947, 1948, and 1949 combinations. As you can see, the '47 has been outfitted for use as a straight ambulance.

This firm is still in business although it has been reduced to chain ownership.

(SL collection)

Attachments

• McPeters.jpg
    McPeters.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 961
steve did it again

just found this thread. as usual i was mesmorized. thank you mr. lofton. i look forward to your posts with great anticipation. anything new in the works?

I see a couple thing wrong with the article. The article says the fleet picture was taken in 1974, but the Cadillac Superior ambulance on the end is a 1975 or 1976. I don't know, but maybe an ambulance next year model could be purchased the year before, like standard cars. Also the picture that says "Gordy Anderson with a 1976 Cadillac Miller-Meteor ambulance". That is clearly a 74, not a 76.

that the norm for reporting today. the facts just don't matter. but all in all a good atrtical with a lot of insite if you can read between the lines

I see a couple thing wrong with the article. The article says the fleet picture was taken in 1974, but the Cadillac Superior ambulance on the end is a 1975 or 1976. I don't know, but maybe an ambulance next year model could be purchased the year before, like standard cars. Also the picture that says "Gordy Anderson with a 1976 Cadillac Miller-Meteor ambulance". That is clearly a 74, not a 76.

I agree...the "74 ambulance" is a 76 and also has a BLUE light on the grill......
BLUE lights were off limits to any FIRE department or private agency other then CHP and some local police jurisdictions....here in California:rolleyes:

The McPeters fleet in about 1950 included these 1946, 1947, 1948, and 1949 combinations. As you can see, the '47 has been outfitted for use as a straight ambulance.

This firm is still in business although it has been reduced to chain ownership.

Can anyone here tell us if this car is still owned by the McPeters firm?:

(Mortuary Management, 8/64)

Attachments

• McPeters.jpg
    McPeters.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1,166
Fleet shot of Capital City Ambulance taken in front of the main office in Des Moines, Iowa, on a fine Sunday morning. Bob Hutt was known for operating one of the largest fleet of M/M Criterions with 14 showing in the picture with four cars on calls. He also ran a Jeep Wagoneer as a rescue unit equipped with a Hurst tool and other rescue tools. The Ford van next to the Jeep was a customized rig with a Stratus top and the rest finished in house.

Attachments

• Scan0021.jpg
    Scan0021.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 957
Bill and I drove to Palatka yesterday to pick up a part for PCS member and came upon these two funeral homes. I've always said one needs to have the name of their funeral home plastered on their vehicles. The removal/lead van certainly supports that theory. I believe the Flagg-Serenity Funeral Home may have been a car dealership.
The while 1944 hearse under the canopy only has 13,000 miles on it but the two side doors are rotted out. It's a M-M and if anyone knows where two doors might be, let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_1126.jpg
    IMG_1126.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 843
  • IMG_1672.jpg
    IMG_1672.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 839
  • IMG_2706.jpg
    IMG_2706.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 823
  • IMG_2846.jpg
    IMG_2846.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 832
  • IMG_3096.jpg
    IMG_3096.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 867
  • IMG_7104.jpg
    IMG_7104.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 827
I like the minivan being used as a removal car or hearse. During B&B Coach's latter days they built coaches and removal vehicles on the Dodge Caravans, and they were very nice. One of their owners, Wayland Bratton, who had been general mgr. for Summers Coach for many years, happened to be in Lubbock one time delivering one of the new Caravans to a local funeral home, and I just managed to run into him and got to see the new van prior to delivery. It was very nice!:)

The while 1944 hearse under the canopy only has 13,000 miles on it but the two side doors are rotted out. It's a M-M and if anyone knows where two doors might be, let me know.

That has to be a very rare car...

1944 coach

i agree paul. way ahead of it's time. worthy of a full resto. only 44 model i've ever seen. must have been a goverment special order as war was really going on in 44. maybe the lost roosevelt coach! barrett jackson in it's future! (gotcha richard) nice shots though, you and the ga father have way to much fun. makes me wish i had moved to florida!:D

Can anyone here tell us if this car is still owned by the McPeters firm?:

(Mortuary Management, 8/64)

I don't think they still have it but you never know with mr. Mcpeters. I went down there a couple years ago to see the funeral home and when I asked about old coaches they may no mention of having any. The funeral home itself is quite a site to see.

Ray Crowder Funeral Home & Ambulance Service (Ft. Worth, TX) - Seen here are six GKA/Chevrolet Suburbans and a pair of 1970 S/C combinations:

(SL collection)

Attachments

• Ray Crowder.jpg
    Ray Crowder.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 804
Back