M-M hearse with rear bench seat?

If I remember the story correctly, this was built special order for a lady to transport her Show Dogs to various dog shows.

This is correct, I have the original MM factory photos of this car with Miller Meteor press release explaining the special otped car to the distributors

About 5 or 6 years ago, I spent a lot of time chasing leads on that car, only to find that the person that owned it couldn't be contacted. She was elderly and in poor health at that time, and by now, she possibly has passed on. What I did learn is that she was a AKC judge and that she raised Cairn Terriers, and that was the reason for the cars design. The metal kennels were put in the rear with the dogs to transport them to the dog shows. One person that did know her said that the car was in a garage on her estate, however, the estate was in the process of being sold, and what became of the car is a mystery. I am inclined to believe that it was probably sold or scrapped, but one never knows for certain. Someday, it might just reappear on eBay or Craigslist...

The car was built for Greysarge Kennels - you can even see that it had a Greysarge nameplate in the windows. Several years ago, I did a Google search and they were still around. I just tried again and all you get are dead links now.

When we went to the Miller-Meteor Reunion meets in Piqua, OH, most of the employees remembered the car. They didn't remember any specific hearses or ambulances, but they did remember the kennel car. Apparently, the owner of the kennel wanted a car large enough for the dogs, easy to clean, but still "classy" as a Cadillac.

It certainly must have been a unique vehicle in it's day. One of a kind.

(The one auction title that refers to 1978 is incorrect. They are all photos of the same car. The M-M employees confirmed that, there was only one.)

Back around 1970 George Wilcox a long time friend and employee purchased a 1948 Buick Fixible hearse/tour bus black with a white roof and a luggage rack on top. The Coach had two rows of seats behind the front seat all done in dark blue hearse style mohair with rubber floor mats. Before everyone starts snickering George bought it from Perkeomen Valley Tours a bus company in Pennsburg Pa. he was told it was used for "small groups". It was around here till the mid 80s when George sold it. Last spotted in Philadelphia around Penns Landing (Delaware Ave & Washington St.) in the early 2000s. I have no idea if this was made to order or a converted hearse but it sure turned heads.

the rear seating arrangement is different. one shot shows a bench the other a jump. must have been some removable stuff built in. the pictures I have are mainly the SS panels. I did not realize the floor was the red brick I though it was SS also

the rear seating arrangement is different. one shot shows a bench the other a jump. must have been some removable stuff built in. the pictures I have are mainly the SS panels. I did not realize the floor was the red brick I though it was SS also

If you look at the photo group closely, the seller has mistakenly included a rear open door shot of an ambulance, not the dog car.

So... what would you call this vehicle? It seems to me it's definitely a professional car, but not a hearse, not an ambulance... a dog limo?

Back