1940 Ford Ambulance - Siebert?

Hi All,

Im new to the forum. I work for a car collector and I'm trying to write a history for a vehicle we just acquired. Its a 1940 Ford Ambulance, but other than what I can see on the vehicle itself, I dont know anything about it.

I was doing some research on the internet and came across some references that may indicate that the ambulance was built by a company called Siebert. Is there any way to verify this?

Here are some pictures:

KMsKJ1Z.jpg

zHagmgc.jpg

Dirlrh3.jpg

jVgr1og.jpg

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Taylor,
I can not help you as to what make it is, but I am sure that in no time one of the other members will. I just wanted to WELCOME YOU !

Hello Taylor, welcome to the forum. Is this the ambulance that recently sold at Mecum Kissimmee? It has a good look to it! Just like Gus said, someone here will know. While Siebert is a possibility, I actually lean towards the possibility that National, or some other coach builder may have built this one.

We would love to see this ambulance at our PCS 40TH Anniversary Meet in Gettysburg August 15 through August 20, 2016. Please consider coming!

As Bill said it could be Siebert but another coach builder is possible too, I tend to take a note on the rear windows which seems smaller than the one on the doors; Siebert seems to build their windows the same size these years if I check in my books, maybe a better expert can tell us ?

Taylor, welcome. You have come to the right place. There are members here who will hopefully chime in to give you more info.

Hello Taylor, welcome to the forum. Is this the ambulance that recently sold at Mecum Kissimmee? It has a good look to it! Just like Gus said, someone here will know. While Siebert is a possibility, I actually lean towards the possibility that National, or some other coach builder may have built this one.

We would love to see this ambulance at our PCS 40TH Anniversary Meet in Gettysburg August 15 through August 20, 2016. Please consider coming!

Hi Bill, that is correct, this did recently sell there to the gentleman I work for.

Welcome to the site from us up north in Canada, you will get an answer to your question here,once the folks are done at the micro meet,

the discussion we had before was that this one from appearances would be a sebert. if you have found a badge that would confirm that. you can look up information on the company. on coach builder .com

the discussion we had before was that this one from appearances would be a sebert. if you have found a badge that would confirm that. you can look up information on the company. on coach builder .com

I went over it with a fine-toothed comb and couldn't find anything. Somebody else mentioned National as a possible manufacturer and I actually found an excerpt from a book about professional vehicles that stated that Siebert ambulances could be ordered through National, who was a distributor, is that correct?

Here's a shot of the book:

PxyMVbl.jpg

national would be most likely be referring to one of the other manufacturing companies. absents of a label puts them out they were good about taging there stuff. one place often ignored by the remove all that stuff crowd is on the right side center door on the up right going in by the pillar, a 1/2 x1 inch brass plates would have there name plate. but yours is most likely a Seabert. the script would have been on the body. when I get into my other computer I can dig a picture out of the script. the problem with getting one redone is, not all people are as worried about keeping one as it was. they are more interested in just a curb appeal appearance to turn a quick sale.

Well I have some good news. I spent so much time looking in every nook and cranny of the ambulance itself that I didnt even bother looking at the gurney, and lo and behold on the gurney headrest it said "Shop of Siebert".

I know thats not entirely conclusive in and of itself, but the gurney headrest material is the same material used for the cabinet exteriors so I am 100% confident that this is a Siebert Ambulance.

I will post the pictures of the gurney later. Super busy at work today!

sign in the back roof

I am not an expert or anything of the kind but I have not seen that type of metal *ambulance* sign perched above the back door before. I have usually seen them saying ambulance or funeral coach in the front on the dash, or maybe in a window, just not up high like that. Lovely ambulance I must say. Welcome and thank you too.

Dave

1940 Ford Siebert ambulance

I have the same ambulance, 1942 Ford Siebert, only not the front end.:beatdeadhorse5: Going to make a wooden hearse from it.

I have the same ambulance, 1942 Ford Siebert, only not the front end. Going to make a wooden hearse from it.
Do what? How do you make a wooden hearse from a steel ambulance, particularly when the steel part you actually need is the part that's missing? Seems like it would be easier and cheaper to buy a hearse..... (not to mention, you wouldn't be trashing one vehicle to build another).

Well you see, everything from the C pillar will be removed, thus a passenger section with a divider window will be built in where the back two doors are. Then the front window and doors will be redesigned for a chauffeur driven town car. The back casket area will be made out of old style joinery, with possibly wooden drape panels, or perhaps just some nice wood jointed panels. This will have a GMC V-12 for an engine, '65 C-10 front suspension, frame stretched 26 inches to accommodate the V-12 (look up Thunder V- 12), rack and pinion steering. But hey, I've got the time, do most of the work myself, and if anyone needs the back section for their 40-42 Siebert, or '42 Ford panel delivery, don't hesitate to contact me.
Dan

Interesting. Perhaps you should build the hearse body before you cut off the ambulance body. Just saying - a lot of times, people cut up a rare, antique professional car with all intentions of doing something else to it, and then run out of time/money/desire and are left with an unrestorable half-vehicle and nothing else.

Not saying you'd do that, but perhaps the cutting torch should not be the first tool you grab.

Your car, your's to do with as you like, just speaking from experience.

Attachments

• 2-3 50SupCad.jpg
    2-3 50SupCad.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0306.jpg
    IMG_0306.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Interesting. Perhaps you should build the hearse body before you cut off the ambulance body. Just saying - a lot of times, people cut up a rare, antique professional car with all intentions of doing something else to it, and then run out of time/money/desire and are left with an unrestorable half-vehicle and nothing else.

Not saying you'd do that, but perhaps the cutting torch should not be the first tool you grab.

Your car, your's to do with as you like, just speaking from experience.

I 2nd that...well put! Thank you for stating your point of view cogently and respectfully. :applause:

Already have that planned out. Hopefully, will have it under its own power. I haven't become a supporting member, yet, so I cant post a pix. This will be a unique ride. But if some is restoring a 40-42 Siebert, I have all the metal from the C pillar back. I respect all opinions. That's what's great about the forum. Once I get the V-12 finished and set in the car, I will start a build thread. Just yesterday, I was considering using the rear section with the wood supply cabinet and making a nice travel traler from it.
Dan Marx
Rembert, SC
dlmarx at bellsouth dot bet

Dan,
If you want to cut up an old Siebert, cut this one up! It is available and was recently purchased by a guy that I know in the Kansas City area. Most of the wood is rotted or gone. This one was also an ambulance originally.

Attachments

• IMG_0448.jpg
    IMG_0448.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 108
Back