Out of Service sign ?

All this discussion aside it come down to one thing ,the officers discretion if he or she does not like something lights license plate whatever they can write you a ticket summons equipment violation. Then it will be up to you to ask for a court hearing and defend your position. This costs time and money. Your best bet is head them off at the pass. Copies of the laws from your state covering lights,vintage tags etc should be carried with insurance and registration papers.These can usually be obtained by a visit with an explanation of why needed to local State Police location. A couple of copies of the TPC showing vehicles equipped like yours at shows etc will also be a visual prop. If you are pleasant,cooperative,documented and knowledgeable many times the smart cop will see it your way and the problem is solved by the side of the road. My wife and I drive unmarked Crown Victorias as everyday cars and on one occasion she was stopped by a young shaved head and told "you can't drive a car like this it looks like a Police car". Her reply was "The first ex Police car I drove was a 1972 Plymouth 440 Fury and I think that was before you were born. You sir are the first police officer I have heard say anything like this." His reply "yes my error have a nice day". So as I said discretion.

not here

when some of you come to the international meet here in Houston don't worry. bring all your lights and sirens hooked up. only problem I ever had was being flagged down to help with some lights while the officers did there duty. a little of my time was all it cost and really a sense of being able to help in any way I could at the time. im a light freak on my ambulances ive owned and lighting em up to help with traffic was a way to help when I could. might be up to the officer whether or not you GET a ticket but he or she is not the judge. in my opinion a officers job is to enforce the law not interpret it. once upon a time (as my lawyer friend always says) someone stopped to help a officer taking down 4 suspects on the freeway and helped the officer by pinning 2 to the ground while he subdued and cuffed two more. turned out they were all wanted felons with exstensive criminal records. other officers arrived and the fella who stopped went on his way as they sorted the drama out. the officer told the tv crew that the civilian who stopped to help was a godsend and wished he knew who it was so he could thank him. the civilian called the tv station and told them the officer owed no thanks to him as it was his civic duty to help if he could. the officer stated that all he remembered was a red suburban or such with a lot of lights flashing.

...Just as a flashback and nostalgia was not the police car on "car 54 where are you"painted a different color from regular NYPD colors so as not to confuse with regular cruiser???

Yes, regular NYPD cruisers in that era were green and white. The one for the show was red. Apparently, red appears the same as green on a black-and-white TV show.

Apparently, nobody was concerned that it might be confused for a fire chief's car....

red4.jpg

This car appears at police car shows in NYC. Not sure if it is THE original car from the TV show or if it is a reproduction.

The taillight housings appear incorrect to me. Only the '61 Fury models had the chrome tail light housings/pods. All other models had a taillight housing painted to match the body color.

This '61 has no model designation on the side of the car which IS correct as '61 Plymouth squads had no model designation. They simply had a "fleet" designation for ordering purposes.

I have not come across this as being a issue in Nebraska. I have been to a few car shows that have retired/restored law enforcement and fire vehicles that still have the red lights and sirens (that still work) and no "Out of Services" signs. A few use their law enforcment vehicles as daily drivers and have not had any problems. My brother in law, a retired Nebraska State Trooper says that in less they are doing somthing wrong they won't be stopped. He did add that he can not speak for the younger law enforcement officers who may not know what they are looking at.

Nebraska statute on lights being "Displayed" is inturpeted as being "turned on".

In Lincoln, where I live there are contractors that use retired Type III ambulances for their business. Some with the red lights still on. A few of them I can still make out which ambulance service they use to be with and still have the State Ambulance license in the rear window (I probaby issued it to them). There is a vending company that uses a Type III with red lights and they have signage on the side that says "Snack Emergency". I know the owner of the vending company and he told me he has never had a problem and the red lights have been disconnected.

Here you are supposed to have all red lights facing front covered, they are not to be displayed even if not working. I have never covered the reds on any of my cars in the last 24 years, and never have had a problem.
I will see if that changes when I get my year of manufacture license plates on my 49, since Im sure I will get pulled over then, so they may look for a reason to ticket.

John,
When did they start allowing Y.O.M. plates in Iowa?? Last I knew, we are still standard licensing on all cars. No historic, no Y.O.M.? I would love to know if that has changed.

John,
When did they start allowing Y.O.M. plates in Iowa?? Last I knew, we are still standard licensing on all cars. No historic, no Y.O.M.? I would love to know if that has changed.

You have been able too for as long as I remember. It used to be that you had to get the limited use antique designated plate (which looked the same as regular plates, but said antique instead of the county), to run YOM plates, but you could only drive your car to and from a show or shop. Sometime recently they have taken the restrictions off (you can run them on a daily driver) and you don't need the limited use antique plate before running them. You have to supply the year of manufacture plates, take them to where you get your registration and they will put that number under your current county plates.You have to keep your regular issued plates in the car to show the officer when they stop you. You would renew your car as you normally would, fees stay the same.

John,
You will want to double check that. I was told by the grumpy gals at the Pott. County DMV a couple of years ago that the State of Iowa no longer allows Y.O.M. plates to be displayed with the registered plates stored somewhere in the vehicle.

I just had 3 friends do it in the last 2 weeks. I even looked at one friends registration that did it not even a week ago and its on there, his normal issue plate, along with the YOM plate number right under it.
I will let you know what happens next week when I try it next week after my friend gives me the yom plates.

Thanks John. I would like to do it myself if they do allow it. Sometimes it seems like it all depends on which grumpy gal helps you at the DMV.

Thanks John. I would like to do it myself if they do allow it. Sometimes it seems like it all depends on which grumpy gal helps you at the DMV.

^^That's very true! Some don't want to help at all, and others are happy to look up how to do things. I will let you know how it goes via PM, so we don't hijack this thread any more than we have. I was like you, didn't think you could still do it, until recently when my friends did it and had paperwork to prove it.

Back