'42 Flxible Buick Ambulance in MN

Doesn't really look like any part of Minnesota that I have ever seen. Looks more like Western ND/SD or MT.

Kurt....you had me all excited there with that head of the car being a 1942 Flxible-Buick. Unfortunately, this is not a 1942. It is, however, an example of one of 128 ambulances Flxible built in 1947. The 1942 models looked much different in the grille and molding treatments but, this is not your mistake...it is being made by the seller. Nonetheless, it is a fairly rare and desirable car that looks to be complete and restorable. Thanks for posting this.

Curious, I followed this up by calling the seller. He gave me the vehicle’s serial and vin numbers. I was right. It is a 1947. According to the Flxible production and delivery record book that Tom McPherson has, this car was Flxible’s body number 15562 with vin #14741790. It was a B22-747 – a Flxible Premier ambulance – that was originally delivered in December, 1947 to the Salt Lake City Transportation Company in Salt Lake City, Utah. When new, it was sold by Flxible’s dealer the - Lorenzo company of Salt Lake City.

Before I was involved with procars, I recall seeing several 40s vintage ex-military Buick/Flxible ambulances on Ebay, where it was stated in each case that the hood and possibly other portions of the body were horizontally "sectioned" to increase their height. Even in the 40s, this seems like an amazingly complicated and expensive method to what- gain more headroom?

Does this vehicle look to have had that done to it, and can anybody confirm that they were modified in that manner and for what reason?

Thanks in advance.

Not being in the market to buy the car, I didn't ask. The seller did ask me how much the car was worth. I told him that it was worth what anybody was willing to pay. He's thinking of putting it on E-Bay as well but, doesn't want to sell it to someone that will destroy it. He'd like to see it restored.
With regard to the front end. The 1942-1948 Flxible-Buicks had the cowl raised by 5-5/8-inches. This was done in an effort to obtain a better styling balance between the front of the car and the body. This necessitated a raising the hood line as well. So, to answer your question, yes, this car would have had a higher hood than would be found on a comparable Buick passenger car.
These 1942-1948 Flxible-Buicks were massive cars and were also quite popular. As detailed in TPC #142, in 1942 the compnay built 181, in 1946 258, in 1947 351 and in 1948 they built 646 of these Buick-based professional cars. In fact, in 1948, Flxible, sold, built and delivered more professional cars than did Superior! Despite their popularity when new, there doesn't seem to be all that many of these Flxible-Buicks that have survived so, in my estimation, this is a fairly rare and collectable vehicle.

Back