MLK's '66 Superior Combo

And it's not a hearse, it's a combination car. I wonder if those lollipops behind the grill are original...I don't think too many combos were sporting hidden reds behind the grill back then...but maybe they were. I wonder if this car has wig wag headlights too.

A nice job on it doing the restoration.we do have the paper trail on it so we know that is is the car in question. Whether it's one big named user makes it worth 80 large ones over the next one we will have to see. The fake JFK ambulance has brought that.

I personally know the seller of this hearse, and I know what went into the restoration of the vehicle. I consider Jimmie DeRamus to be a personal friend, and I can say unequivocally that every aspect of the restoration was done as well, or better than the original building of the car. No expense was spared, and only the finest original parts and materials were used in its restoration.

I had an original MM (& 2 Superiors) with original white piping myself [especially more common on Combination Ambulance-Hearses] so, I would question that observation. The door panel fleur de' lis ? design ....another subject. A worthy 'keeper' for MLK and historic collectors but, I think more prudent to market it for less. Never had much luck on 'major personality cars' pulling that much more then the norm(Burt Reynolds,Dale Earnhardt etc). As far the drapes; my humble opinion; everyone has a different take on 'a peak of the coffin'. Hard to see on that old photo but, it 'looks' like they maybe were trying to match the position of the drapery on the photo at the airport?
Acknowledging it belongs to a fellow member; I respectfully suggest, lower your starting price...as we're in a major recession/ political year of uncertainty.
Hey, future bidding might prove me wrong!

I had an original MM (& 2 Superiors) with original white piping myself [especially more common on Combination Ambulance-Hearses] so, I would question that observation. The door panel fleur de' lis ? design ....another subject. A worthy 'keeper' for MLK and historic collectors but, I think more prudent to market it for less. Never had much luck on 'major personality cars' pulling that much more then the norm(Burt Reynolds,Dale Earnhardt etc). As far the drapes; my humble opinion; everyone has a different take on 'a peak of the coffin'. Hard to see on that old photo but, it 'looks' like they maybe were trying to match the position of the drapery on the photo at the airport?
Acknowledging it belongs to a fellow member; I respectfully suggest, lower your starting price...as we're in a major recession/ political year of uncertainty.
Hey, future bidding might prove me wrong!

Kerry,
I also own a Superior ambulance with original white piping. The piping is not the issue with the seats, it's the upholstery pattern.

Is it just me, or is the steering wheel hub in terrible shape?

picture.php

I personally know the seller of this hearse, and I know what went into the restoration of the vehicle. I consider Jimmie DeRamus to be a personal friend, and I can say unequivocally that every aspect of the restoration was done as well, or better than the original building of the car. No expense was spared, and only the finest original parts and materials were used in its restoration.

Paul I would never question your opinion, but this guy is asking $100,000.00 for a car that has obvious flaws. Yes I'm being nit-picky, but come on. How hard can it be to source a NOS or even reproduction steering wheel, arm rests on the doors are obviously worn and need to be replaced. I understand that they probably want to keep it as original as possible, but if they're touting a meticulous restoration, after being stored indoors for 40+ years, you would think those little details would not be overlooked. Also, they could keep the original parts, if the buyer wants to put them back on the car.

It just seems like for such an incredibly high priced item, they wouldn't overlook those little details. And I'm sorry but I think they've added a few of their own modifications like the lollipops behind the grill. How many combos in 1966 had those? Probably very few if any. And incorrectly referring to it as a "hearse", when it's a combination car.

For a seller to claim to be that dedicated to the car's authenticity, and I'm not disputing the car's heritage, but it seems like he's cherry picking details and trying to exaggerate the extent of the restoration, flip it, and laugh his way to the bank.

I would expect this coach to get some significant point deductions at a PCS meet for the incorrect seat upholstery, steering wheel issues, and pinstriping on the door panels!! ............and these are just the issues visible in these few photos!

This is one of our members, and a very significant car.

Mr. DeRamus saved a historically significant automobile and it won't surprise me if it brings the price he is asking. I think you will find this car is closer to what it was when it carried Dr. King than some of the above posts suggest.

I would expect this coach to get some significant point deductions at a PCS meet for the incorrect seat upholstery, steering wheel issues...
I missed the closest PCS Meet to me in Daytona having broke my fibula but, I had no idea the PCS judges could be that critical. I can only tell you correct upholstery is 'a Bear' to locate. I found only ONE source in America for original brocade and the last time I called it was $85 a yard (my cost). I thought you were speaking of the piping or the number of pleats. Since most of the Coaches were completely custom made for the individual F.D. I always took the neutral position ~it could be a variety of products or, designs. Conversely, funny, how some folks overlook the steering wheel during a resto, when it is In Your Face as soon as you look-in or, get into a car. An easy remedy as there are companies that do nothing but steering wheel restoration. Maybe we can give the fellow some slack.

Sometime around when his son passed away, about a decade or so ago, I helped him locate some parts and references for the restoration. For what it's worth, I know Jimmie really wanted to do a proper restoration. It was many years before I saw photos of the finished car, but overall, I think it turned out well. Now if you sat it side by side to an original, it would be easy to pick out the minor inaccuracies. But as most of us know though, getting the exact pattern or part is sometimes near impossible, and recreating "correct" can be very cost prohibitive. At the time I last talked to him, I owned an original '66 Superior combination, so I shared some photos for him to reference. For comparison, this one below is of the door detail.

$_58.JPG

Mr. DeRamus saved a historically significant automobile and it won't surprise me if it brings the price he is asking. I think you will find this car is closer to what it was when it carried Dr. King than some of the above posts suggest.

The coach was 2 years old when it carried MLK. I would assume that it was still pretty darned nice and 100% original at that time.

If I were restoring this coach with the expectation of selling it for an undisclosed amount in excess of $100,000, I would have watched for another 1966 Superior hearse with an original black vinyl or brocade interior. You could pick up a straight end-loader to donate upholstery for $4000 or less and then swap out the upholstery that you were in need of. This would be a small price to pay, if you were truely concerned with keeping it as original as possible. This must have been a pretty rough coach if it needed all of the seat cushions and door panels replaed!

.......At the time I last talked to him, I owned an original '66 Superior combination, so I shared some photos for him to reference. For comparison, this one below is of the door detail.

.JPG

You gotta love those Superiors. THAT is a work of Art. I don't remember any pattern on the MM's.

Jimmy put a lot of time and effort into this restoration, And he was not scared to ask other members for help or advice when needed. I enjoyed watching through the progress of this historically significant restoration. He was so proud of his car, it really surprises me to see him sell it. I say with its historical significance, it will probably bring a decent amount of money.

somethings just can't be. the heat stamps are one that you can do but it will run you about 500 bucks a door. there is a place on the west cost that will do them. MM did do that one there seats. no me I don't care what car it is there is always one bad door trim pad. when I did the 66 I elected to put a leather patch on the bad corners so not to lose the stamp. some tie you can get creative some time it just not possible.
same with the 63 the shimmery vinyl is not available nor was the gold metallic.
we were forced to use alternative products to keep as close to the colors as we could.

the car has been rebuilt they are not trying to pass it off as original. a man that has 100 + to spend on the car has the funds to change it more correct if they choose. but really depending on how much he could do him self it most likely has that in the car. paying some one else to redo it.

Back