70 Superior ambulance flashers......

James Fischer

PCS Member
The emergency lights in the 70 do not function..so I am starting with the switch(have one on the way) and then next are the flasher units....so......
would anyone know where I can purchase this type of flasher ??
Or do I have to go to a differant type ??
Anyhelp as always appreciated.....

006.jpg

is there power to it? :beatdeadhorse5: the shot gun approach of keep changing parts till it works can get kind of expensive. power goes into the switch and out to this flasher then intermediately up to the lights. to test the lights put 12 volts on the out wire. to test the flasher put 12 volts to the in side of the flasher. if it works it works if it doesn't then change it. but if your not getting power to the switch panel then you can't get power out to the flasher. unless of course you use a jumper wire from a 12 volt source. most of the Superors I have played with are batteries on, key on, power switch on the panel on, then the individual switches will power the accessories. the key powers the relay under the hood that supples the power to the main switch on the panel. I have yet to find a intact rocker switch that you can't clean the contacts with a little WD40 and working it back and forth. now remember the man told you that the relay under the hood was not clicking!!!

if I'm reading them right this should be the routing for the flashers

Attachments

• 1970 relay.jpg
    1970 relay.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 370
is there power to it? :beatdeadhorse5: the shot gun approach of keep changing parts till it works can get kind of expensive. power goes into the switch and out to this flasher then intermediately up to the lights. to test the lights put 12 volts on the out wire. to test the flasher put 12 volts to the in side of the flasher. if it works it works if it doesn't then change it. but if your not getting power to the switch panel then you can't get power out to the flasher. unless of course you use a jumper wire from a 12 volt source. most of the Superors I have played with are batteries on, key on, power switch on the panel on, then the individual switches will power the accessories. the key powers the relay under the hood that supples the power to the main switch on the panel. I have yet to find a intact rocker switch that you can't clean the contacts with a little WD40 and working it back and forth. now remember the man told you that the relay under the hood was not clicking!!!

Hmmmmm,
Well like I said I am no electrician..but I CAN follow directions...
I have power to the switch... (3 position rocker).......But when I turn it on either position I hear a clicking under the hood......and then ....nothing.....
I am still not convinced that the rocker is good...when I move **IT**..it causes the same clicking under the hood...almost like something is loose in the switch itself..??
But like I said I do have power **TO** the flashers.......I will get check tomorrow and use your guide you posted on my picture and check to see what works and what doesnt.....
Thank you Ed,for your help !!

the test light is you buddy. if it is a three position switch off will be the center down is one set of lights up is another. on the 63 I did you could turn the rear upper lights on and leave the front off or have all 4 corners on. figuring out the way it was ordered is about half the fun. if your hearing a click the switch is working. have someone rotate the switch when you look under the hood and see if you can tell what is being turned on. the nice part of the superior is all the exercise you get turning things one then walking around to see what happened.

There are some 3 position rocker switches that are off / on / on, depending on how they are wired inside. An example of the off / on / on rocker switch is the one that is used for headlights.... off / parking lights / headlights. Some are even on / off / on, depending on the application. There were 3 major manufacturers of rocker switches, Cole Hersee, Cutler Hammer, and Carling. Carling's are most often found in Miller Meteor cars, and Cole Hersee in Superiors. Sometimes you can tell the difference in the way that the saturation's on the switch run. Cole Hersee are usually vertical, and the Carling's are usually horizontal, but I have seen some that go against this rule, so don't take it as gospel.. Look for other markings.

the test light is you buddy. if it is a three position switch off will be the center down is one set of lights up is another. on the 63 I did you could turn the rear upper lights on and leave the front off or have all 4 corners on. figuring out the way it was ordered is about half the fun. if your hearing a click the switch is working. have someone rotate the switch when you look under the hood and see if you can tell what is being turned on. the nice part of the superior is all the exercise you get turning things one then walking around to see what happened.

Ed,
THANK YOU so far....really appreciate the help !!:applause:

Please see my thread "Help Identifying relay.....70 Superior Ambulance " that I posted.......I describe to Paul what is workin/not working.......I did get the flashers/beacon working with the switch (which I thought was bad)...but I had to by pass the solenoid to get them to work.....

The flashers you have pictured are Kay-Lab flashers. Here are pictures of a NOS one I have with data for reference.

Attachments

• image-954005933.jpg
    image-954005933.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 244
  • image-1112353883.jpg
    image-1112353883.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 253
  • image-658962381.jpg
    image-658962381.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 252
James, the flashers you have posted are Kay-Lab flashers. Here are photos of a NOS flasher I have for data and reference.

Attachments

• image-4187495306.jpg
    image-4187495306.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 238
  • image-2432010082.jpg
    image-2432010082.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 244
  • image-1732601305.jpg
    image-1732601305.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 236
Wish I had more! Besides the one in the 73 M-M combo that operates the red grille flashers this is the only spare Kay-Lab flasher I have. Haven't ran across any more ether.

Jeremy,
Keep your eyes open,they do appear on E-Bay every so often.....
One just sold for $7.00 in the box......!!

flasher

flasher is bad. You can get it a Napa or lehr Electric in sac, along with the cole hershee lighted switches. I just got some more myself the other day.

flasher is bad. You can get it a Napa or lehr Electric in sac, along with the cole hershee lighted switches. I just got some more myself the other day.

Kent,
The Cole Hersee switches without bezel are NLA.....according to Lehr......and they...the flashers are not a real problem...just like the old school stuff better then NEW.......

switches

Try asking our member that has my ambulance. The same member that sold you your 72. I gave him a bunch of extra switches like you have. he might part with them.:D

Back