gas cap

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
Ok I ram my mouth off again so I decided to check this out. to my surprise I could not walk in and get the cap in question at either parts stores. it just not there any more. so we thumbed threw the book at car quest and look what we found. the same thing in a radiator cap. it fits a number of 30's cars. now I'm not sure but if you needed a vented cap I would put a 1/8 hole in the center of it

Attachments

• Untitled-Stitched-01.jpg
    Untitled-Stitched-01.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 359
  • Untitled-Stitched-02.jpg
    Untitled-Stitched-02.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 348
  • Untitled-Stitched-03.jpg
    Untitled-Stitched-03.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 354
I was looking for the same gas cap on my 63 M&M. Before I found the corredt one, I welded a new neck on the old filler tube. I used a cap from my stash of 63 Cad parts.

Ed,
Here are a couple of pictures of 2 of the caps I was able too get....
I think I will buy a couple of the rad caps you posted just to have in case.......
Thanks again !!

003-1.jpg

004-2.jpg

005-1.jpg

found this one the other day on e-bay 8 bucks free shipping I'm guessing if you contact the address on the box they would send you one to. the boys in the near east put a hole in it so you can tie it to the car.

Attachments

• IMG_9124.JPG
    IMG_9124.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_9125.JPG
    IMG_9125.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_9128.JPG
    IMG_9128.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_9129.jpg
    IMG_9129.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 229
if it fits a 68 it fits a 69. it will fit at least the 57 to 70 CC caddy. with the un vented cap. all the one with the 58 caddy tanks. none of the box parts stores carry the #37 cap any more? strange as it fits the big three numbers for Chevy. so you go to the the retro market and there it is but they of course clam it only fits what ever it is they are marketing to. James box with the years and models tells it all

In Disguise...

Thank you Ed for posting this....

Paradise Ca is only about 40 miles from me.....

Seems like the caps are out there,just in "disguise" though.....:)

that's the problem with the retro market. they never research what else the part may fit. so then it's only marketed to that notch they are selling to. leaving other potential buyers wondering. then of course GM in there wisdom would change the finger tabs on top in different years and modals so that it was a different part number. so you can't just look it up in the book. you got to love them for that. but that list of cars the #37 will fit is what you need to check for the same thing in the retro market notice that Commercial chassis is not on it.

According to the January 1964 GM Parts Catalogue Number 205 this cap fits only the following cars. This leads me to believe that the filler neck that was sourced for the cars was also a GM product, and most likely the 1960 Corvair, since that was the most current model year part that the cap fits. You could tell for certain if you were to have a fill tube from each of the year models of the vehicles listed below.

1953 - 1957 Chevrolet All
1960 Corvair All
1953 - 1957 Pontiac EXC 22/71

When I checked the locking gas cap for the same applications, I find that the number for the 1956 locking cap is different than the number for the 1957 locking cap. One thing to be careful of is people on eBay claiming that a particular cap that they are selling will fit many more applications than the parts book indicates. I know that many times GM changed part numbers for the same part, however, I have never found this to be true when it comes to the accessory items, unless they made a change in the product. My guess is that the 1956 locking cap differs from the 1957 locking cap is that the 1956 had a hidden gas filler under the left tail lamp assembly which necessitated a different size cap.

Attachments

• 3736549.jpg
    3736549.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 202
On the picture above, I found the part number 3739235 hand written, so I checked that part number in the parts books, it wasn't listed. I did find it pictured on ebay, and it is shown below. It appears to be the same cap, with a different handle design.

Attachments

• cap1.jpg
    cap1.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 113
  • cap2.jpg
    cap2.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 111
  • cap3.jpg
    cap3.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 109
that one was cranked out south of the border. as a number of runs may have been made by any number of after market people and GM the difference in the cap can be explained. the 56 car had the out side ears like the radiator cap. the 57 was hid in the fin just over the taillight so it need a smaller cap. now here is the one off your 69 and my 68 side by side. different caps but they fit over the same hole. I have all ready painted the 69 one with the Eastwood silver cad paint. when you checking on them the corvette took a different cap it looks the same from the top but under neath is different. it has the in side grabbers

Attachments

• 69-68 fule cap.jpg
    69-68 fule cap.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 105
Back