Curtains for my Victoria

I will need to replace the interior curtains on my 1974 S & S Victoria. The current ones tear when you even look at them. I guess after 39 years it is time to let them go.

I would like to ask the group who did you get to reproduce the interior curtains and what type material was originally used?

Does anyone have a pattern that I could follow? I noticed in some old photos that there was a center piece which was attached to the side curtains with velcro. Maybe I could get my sweet wife to make them for me:D.

Any suggestions?

Two years ago, I used a local trim shop that was willing to do the curtains using the old ones as a pattern. If you can find a good trim shop willing to do it, might be a good thing.
The key is use AUTOMOBILE INTERIOR material... so it won't fade in the sun...

I found in reproducing the drapes in my '75 Victoria that the original drapes were inconsistant in length. The best pattern in making new drapes for your coach is your original drapes. The original material used by S&S in those days was butt-ugly, in my opinion. I LOVE '71 through '76 S&S coaches, but the 2 things that looked aweful in those years were their drapes and the aluminum Kelvinator mouldings that they used as lower trim inside the rear compartment.

Jeff, sorry, didn't notice the "tear" word until after I posted. I went by and selected some material from the trim shop. They estimated how much they would need to do the M-M's... I then took each car and left it for 3-4 days, they used the old curtains (76 was original, 73 were homemade that had faded badly...) and the rods to do it.
The key is to find a GOOD trim shop that NEEDS some business, and doesn't mind that big car sitting in their shop for a few days...

thank you all for your replies!:applause:

I still have the old ones in place but they are severely dry rotted. I can use them as a pattern but the center piece is missing. Any suggestions on a pattern for the center piece?

What was the material used?

I agree it is not the most attractive material. But I will want to use the original material or something very close. In the original color photos I have from 74 the center piece is trimmed with a yellow cord/ tassel like material. I am not sure I like the yellow cord. :confused:

I found in reproducing the drapes in my '75 Victoria that the original drapes were inconsistant in length. The best pattern in making new drapes for your coach is your original drapes. The original material used by S&S in those days was butt-ugly, in my opinion. I LOVE '71 through '76 S&S coaches, but the 2 things that looked aweful in those years were their drapes and the aluminum Kelvinator mouldings that they used as lower trim inside the rear compartment.

These were done by a friend of mine in Lincoln, NE that does drapes professionally. Find a local drapery workshop.

Attachments

• 2012-12-01_11-43-34_11.jpg
    2012-12-01_11-43-34_11.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 157
I went to a local seamstress

I used this local family-run shop to do all my uniforms. I brought in the original airline curtains. I went to Wal Mart and selected the white cotton material I wanted to use realizing it wasn't going to be handled much.
The person making these needs to copy the original dimensions which might sound easy- but it's not. I had her follow the measurements I took over the shape of the originals. What a mistake. If the rods have any bends to them, "square cut" shapes aren't going to work! So the originals are most important.
I also figured this lady would be more reasonable than going to an upholstery shop. Good luck!

Kurt, Kevin, and Kent

Thanks for the photos and the information. I looked again at the color photos I have of the 3 way taken about 1976. ( Oh how I wish I could find it!) The curtains/drapes were a lighter color than the dark blue fabric used in the interior of the hearse. The center piece appears to be on longer horizontal piece that drapes when the outer two are brought together. I need to upgrade my account so I can post a photo.

You all have given my some food for thought. Thank You. I will welcome any more advise......:)

another observation, the trim shop had the samples of material, and I selected from what he had ... the '92 Superior had some factory drapes made out of a very thick material that always seem to "ride" and move inward some. The '90 Superior had some thinner drapes that seemed to stay in place better where I placed them. So I selected a thinner type material and have been pleased with where they stay... I like the drapes about as open as they will go... can't stand to to see a hearse with closed drapes or almost closed, though I understand that with the '73 limousine style, if I have the stretcher "loaded" it is probably going to be necessary to close the rear drapes...
Good luck Jeff...

thank you all for your replies!:applause:

I still have the old ones in place but they are severely dry rotted. I can use them as a pattern but the center piece is missing. Any suggestions on a pattern for the center piece?

What was the material used?

I agree it is not the most attractive material. But I will want to use the original material or something very close. In the original color photos I have from 74 the center piece is trimmed with a yellow cord/ tassel like material. I am not sure I like the yellow cord. :confused:

You stated that the center swag is missing. Are you sure it had it? S&S in these eras had the airline drapes as standard equipment, the formal drapes were an option but do not remember if it was a no cost or additional cost item. I know this is not much help to you, but something to think about. when having new ones made.

Back