The Good,The bad,and the Ugly....

James Fischer

PCS Member
Well I have posted the good pictures of the 70 Superior,so now we have the BAD issues with her......

Not really TOO bad...but bad nontheless.....

# 1+2 = Each rear corner window leaks at the bottom of the seal.....,so it has affected the linoleum in each corner of the floor.....

#3= End of bench will need to be recovered....

#4= Passenger side rear door dent/scratch.....

#5= Both sides front fenders,usual rust out in lower portion......

Thats about the worst of it.....
Comments/suggestions..??

Attachments

• 2012 Christmas+70 Superior 097.jpg
    2012 Christmas+70 Superior 097.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 263
  • 2012 Christmas+70 Superior 098.jpg
    2012 Christmas+70 Superior 098.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 288
  • 2012 Christmas+70 Superior 099.jpg
    2012 Christmas+70 Superior 099.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 285
  • 2012 Christmas+70 Superior 108.jpg
    2012 Christmas+70 Superior 108.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 274
  • 2012 Christmas+70 Superior 106.jpg
    2012 Christmas+70 Superior 106.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
if it a superior the corner glass leaks thats a given. over the years some enthusiastic attendant will run the gurney in to something in the interior, thats a given, if it's a Cadillac from a snow state the fenders will be rusted out on the bottom all wise so look like you got one thats cherry

if it a superior the corner glass leaks thats a given. over the years some enthusiastic attendant will run the gurney in to something in the interior, thats a given, if it's a Cadillac from a snow state the fenders will be rusted out on the bottom all wise so look like you got one thats cherry

Ed,

The other 70 I have has always been a California car..yet BOTH fenders are rusted thru on the bottom....(just in front of the door)....

And this one is the same....

My question is......

Should I get the "patch panels" that are available ($118.00ea.) they measure aprx 10"x12" and have them put those in ??
OR
Should I have a body guy have a go at repairing the whole mess....??
I am just thinking that it would save time with the panels...and know that it wont crack a year or 2 down the road ??

Thank you for your input !!

Jim

depends..

or you could leave it as it is for a while and just enjoy it. only original once. or you could be a guy like me and have to fix everything you see wrong with it. ive found that when i get something repaired i sort of lose my attatchment to it. when something is done to my satisfaction i look for something else to do on something else. my wife says i have a need to fix everything i find fault with. maybe i just like the end results of my handywork. patch panels is the way to go in my humble opinion as they work for me as i can install them and grind the welds till im happy then let the body guy do the rest. measure 10 times and cut once! trust me on this.

I had my 70 Coupe de Ville painted in 1993 and the body guy cut the rust out and fixed it all himself (no patch panels were available then) and have no rust showing to this day.

I have never used the patch panels. like Jim said just cut out to good metal and slip a piece of metal in there. if the shop you going to can't do that, look for another shop. there are a lot of R&R shops, find one that wants to fix it. for me the 240 bucks would be more then enough to repair and spot in that little rust. of course prices are different were your at. don't let anyone wad some filler in those holes and walk away. the natural trap caddy designed into them will let if come right back at you. it's like tossing your money in the trash

As soon as a vehicle becomes "perfect" only a downhill slope ensues. What is one ultimately left with? Similar condition to what one started with, difference being no longer original. One little repair becomes another little repair. Then those repairs break the patina and you keep going...vicious cycle.

If your intent is to exclusively show while never driving/enjoying, fix every morsel of whatever makes you 'happy'. If you can maintain a deeper appreciation of how your '70 proudly displays light usage as intended, have bottoms of fenders repaired and paint blended, keeping highest percentage of original paint possible.

What's that saying? Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. That ambulance remains beautiful as it is.

Well I have posted the good pictures of the 70 Superior,so now we have the BAD issues with her......

Not really TOO bad...but bad nontheless.....

# 1+2 = Each rear corner window leaks at the bottom of the seal.....,so it has affected the linoleum in each corner of the floor.....

#3= End of bench will need to be recovered....

#4= Passenger side rear door dent/scratch.....

#5= Both sides front fenders,usual rust out in lower portion......

Thats about the worst of it.....
Comments/suggestions..??

Based on years of experience, I would say that this car is too far gone for an affordable restoration. My suggestion would be to cut your losses now and get rid of the car quickly. As a favor, I will pay you half of what you have in it (including shipping to me, of course) just in case I need a parts car someday. :1062:

or you could leave it as it is for a while and just enjoy it. only original once. or you could be a guy like me and have to fix everything you see wrong with it. ive found that when i get something repaired i sort of lose my attatchment to it. when something is done to my satisfaction i look for something else to do on something else. my wife says i have a need to fix everything i find fault with. maybe i just like the end results of my handywork. patch panels is the way to go in my humble opinion as they work for me as i can install them and grind the welds till im happy then let the body guy do the rest. measure 10 times and cut once! trust me on this.

Your right ,it is original only once......and I would be the first to "keep" it the way it is.....it just needs to be a little nicer,at least for my taste....
I have 11 other cars....3 of them are all original..that have had little if anything done as far as fixing goes.....
One thing here in Calif,if it has rust on it it needs to be FIXED....and they look at you funny if you dont drive a shiny,all restored vehicle..with the exception of the rat-rodders and they make their cars look "vintage" ?? I by adding rust and old parts :: I dont get it.....but...whatever...
And as I get older I really dont like to "fix" things to much like I used to(full body off resto)....
But I am like you...and LOVE to fix things,to see my handywork....one thing I am not is a electrician,nor a bodyman.......so I am limited in what I can do.....
So I think I will go the way of patch panels.....

Based on years of experience, I would say that this car is too far gone for an affordable restoration. My suggestion would be to cut your losses now and get rid of the car quickly. As a favor, I will pay you half of what you have in it (including shipping to me, of course) just in case I need a parts car someday. :1062:

Thank you Steve !!
I will certainly keep that in my "active" file......
You seem to be the only one who wants to relieve me of this money-pit !!!
:rofl: :cheers:

to me original is only good if it's sharp to good original. let the rat rod boys have the cool layer of rust and pealing paint. but there is nothing cool about a ambulance or hearse in pealing paint. it would not have been allowed to be that way if it was in service. so fix the rust paint the red. buff the top if you can. why have a car you have to apologist for every time you go out in it. it's worth the try on the top to bring it back but the red is gone. you spotted in all the places that need paint it will look like a Dalmatian

I have never used the patch panels. like Jim said just cut out to good metal and slip a piece of metal in there. if the shop you going to can't do that, look for another shop. there are a lot of R&R shops, find one that wants to fix it. for me the 240 bucks would be more then enough to repair and spot in that little rust. of course prices are different were your at. don't let anyone wad some filler in those holes and walk away. the natural trap caddy designed into them will let if come right back at you. it's like tossing your money in the trash

Ed,
Thank you for your evaluation and honesty......
I think I will do as you say.....first check to see if they can just work a piece of metal in there without me having to buy the panels....if not I will just shop around a bit...if its one thing we do have here its a LOT of rest shops.....
And then I will get the red painted.....and see what I can do to the top.....
I dont want a dalmation as you said...lol...

who's he!

steve loftin? who's he. must be a newbie. never heard of him. i will do you one better, i'll give you more than him for this parts car. at least another couple of hundred. i was told he knows nothing about pro cars and just wants to sell it to parts buyers. sell it to your bubby, ol buddy. to much to fix so might as well sell it to someone who needs the parts. ill take it and come tow it home if it doesnt fall apart from all the rust you posted. hey, who's your buddy? let a friend have it and not some fella who knows nothing about pro cars. besides hes in oklahoma or some other backward state. doubt if they have mail there even.

is nothing cool about a ambulance or hearse in pealing paint. it would not have been allowed to be that way if it was in service. a D

I agree, nothing cool about a ambulance or hearse with peeling paint, but I HAVE seen seen a few rusty sad looking hearses still in service. I bought one of them and I was almost embarassed to drive it as a winter car, I cant believe it was a front line car.

Back